Beachbody workouts: ChaLEAN Extreme or TurboFire?

Options
A little background info... I'm 5'7" and about 165 pounds. I want to lose about 20-25 pounds, but I'm very out of shape. Turbofire seems good because it will help me burn more calories to drop more pounds, but I also need a lot of toning which I could get from Chalean extreme. I'm worried I wouldn't be able to lose as much weight with Chalean Extreme and that I would have difficulties doing it because of my lack of muscle. But then I'm also worried I wouldn't get any toning from Turbofire. So does anyone have any input on which one i should choose or have another workout that sounds like what I am looking for? It's a big investment for me so I want to choose the right one :)

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i can only choose among beachbody dvds?
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    My friend does TurboFire and there's quite a bit of toning included in that from how she describes it.
  • kfavulous
    kfavulous Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ChaLEAN. That is crazy intense and a lot of your own resistance.... but it burns
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Before I got into running, I used to do a hybrid between the two. Turbofire was my cardio, and I used to do ChaleanExtreme for muscle endurance and some toning. You can always blend the two. I also blend with P90X and random kickboxing videos.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Why only Beachbody? If you are open to others, I'd recommend checking out Convict Conditioning, NerdFitness, and You Are Your Own Gym.

Another option that is a bit more expensive but one I wish I could do is TRX Suspension training.
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would start with chelean and walk to get into things ,you will tone and burn cal for sure with chelean.turbofire is wow thats all i have to say .......i have both ..both very good
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've done both.
    I did tf when i 1st started, and then did clx about a year later.

tf is cardio with weights on the side
    clx is weights, with cardio on the side.

you will get good results with both.

if you don't have weights though, clx can be tricky with bands. infact i hated it with bands, so i saved up until i could do the whole routine with weights, and i'm glad i did.
  • Beata375
    Beata375 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have both. Both will give you a cardio workout and a toning workout ~ ChaLEAN concentrates more on the weights. You will absolutely be able to do it, as YOU choose what amount of weights you use. And you increase the amount/resistance as you see fit. but you also have a cardio workout that comes in the package as part of the program.

Turbofire is more cardo with some resistance training days. I am a complete sweaty mess when I am done with the workout-but I am HOOKED! (currently doing a hybrid of the 2). Personally, I like Turbofire more. Its more "fun" ~ fast paced and keeps It moving. BUT I felt sooo out of control and unable to keep up in the beginning (although she does have an option on the disk for "new to class" where the moves are broken down ~ but its still "hard" in the beginning, but you learn it quickly.

The workouts, altho they are advertised as kind of intimidating, they are what you put in to them. You'll do fine with either.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Why only Beachbody? If you are open to others, I'd recommend checking out Convict Conditioning, NerdFitness, and You Are Your Own Gym.

This.

Why not save your money and still get a great workout without lining the pockets of some "coach" in an MLM business?
  • littlesprite11
    littlesprite11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I sent you a message Caitlin.
  • Lyadeia
    Options

Poor you, Caitlin. You just received a "make me a commission" request from a "coach." :explode: :mad:
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have ChaLean and I LOVE it. There are also 2 cardio dvds on it, so it is the best of both worlds.To be honest, I leaned out and lost more weight with ChaLean Extreme than any other cardio I was doing. I was doing running, and other dvds that were strict cardio and I didn't see near the results as when I completed ChaLean.
    Also, I completed 1 round of ChaLean and loved the results soooo much that I started (and completed) a 2nd round of it. So 2 rounds back-to-back. I have had 3 kids via c-section and my youngest is turning 2 this month....look at my pics (I hope you can view them). Right now I am in week 9 of Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, and when I am done with that I will be going back to ChaLean, because I miss the heavy lifting. But like I said, you are looking for cardio, leaning out, burning fat, and building muscle and ChaLean Extreme will do all that. Good Luck with whatever you decide.
  • DavPul
    Options

It's a trap
  • caitlin1792
    Options
    I didn't mean just Beachbody. That's just what I've narrowed it down to because I've heard such great things about them. I did Jillian's 30 day shred in February but I haven't done anything since so I wanted something longer so maybe I'll actually stick with it until I reach my goal weight.
  • littlesprite11
    Options

It's a trap

Do you even know what your talking about? \She brought up beachbody programs and I have done them. If I found them to be successful why wouldn't I recommend them. Really? SMH
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I do Turbo Jam and ChaLEAN Extreme. It's pretty cool.

To be fair, I didn't buy either program. Nor am I a 'coach.' I still think the programs are a great jumping point. I recommend CHLX simply for the vital strength training. There's plenty of cardio as well, so it's not *all* strength. If you go for it, I recommend buying a REALLY good set of weights. No Barbie weights allowed. I've been using resistance bands the whole time and while I do still get a pretty good work out and reach failure plenty of times, I don't feel like some of the moves are as effective with them. Too bad I can't afford the weights myself. =\

After I finish this month, I'm going to try the stuff others have mentioned, particularly You Are Your Own Gym. Body weight exercise will have to do until I can get some decent weights or a gym membership. If money is no object, proceed! If you'd rather not shell out so much, the body weight stuff could be a valuable option for you. :)

Good luck!
  • Lyadeia
    Options

It's a trap

Do you even know what your talking about? \She brought up beachbody programs and I have done them. If I found them to be successful why wouldn't I recommend them. Really? SMH

Of course you found them successful and recommend them. You are a coach and get paid to sell the products.
  • littlesprite11
    Options
    Well I'm not going to recommend a product that I haven't used...duh! I have been using beachbody long before I became a coach. I know what works for e and what has worked for my friends. She asked about those two programs so I told her. Frankly its none of your business what I messaged her. I'm not bashing your workout programs. Anyway..............They are really good programs Caitlin.
  • DavPul
    Options
    iUbJ0AD.gif
  • j3an22
    j3an22 Posts: 77
    Options
    whatever you choose you can always do different exercises for other things. As long you are staying active