Hello!

Options
Hello,

I have been a member of My Fitness Pal for a long time but haven't been logged in for a while. I am 46 and live in NYC.

I have always struggled with my weight, I went from being slightly overweight to fit and back. My BP has been high the past 2 years and now I am on a medication for it. Very low dosage but on meds nonetheless! I am here for support and to meet people who share my same situation. I am looking to be healthy and loose about 30 lbs. I have trouble staying focused and my will power is just way down. I start the day off good but once I get home from work, man is it hard to just focus. Anybody have the same issue? Any advice?

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Joanne

Replies

• Loopers242
    Loopers242 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have been a member of My Fitness Pal for a long time but haven't been logged in for a while. I am 46 and live in NYC.

I have always struggled with my weight, I went from being slightly overweight to fit and back. My BP has been high the past 2 years and now I am on a medication for it. Very low dosage but on meds nonetheless! I am here for support and to meet people who share my same situation. I am looking to be healthy and loose about 30 lbs. I have trouble staying focused and my will power is just way down. I start the day off good but once I get home from work, man is it hard to just focus. Anybody have the same issue? Any advice?

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Joanne

Hey there Jonanne! I’m also looking to lose 25-30lbs. I have 4 months to do it. I think the best thing you can do is set yourself and short term goal. Say you want to lose 10lbs in 2-3months. Hop on a treadmill or a bike and start from there. The first step is always the hardest, but once you get going, you’ll never want to stop. Hope this helps!

• Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Welcome mate :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    If you're finding it's more of a problem in the evenings, eat a little less during the day and save more calories for the evenings, plan ahead and don't buy things that you can't eat in moderation.

I had a similar problem and found meal planning worked for me (that's not to say it will suit you, it may not)
    it means, my food is prepped on my day off and is ready to quickly heat up or cook and I only buy in what's needed for my meal plan for the week, so I don't have loads of stuff hanging around the fridge or cupboard to tempt me if I am bored.

I also find that keeping myself busy in the evening rather than sitting on the sofa watching TV all night stops me boredom eating. I limit myself to 90 mins of sitting on the sofa in the evening Mon-Fri, spending the rest doing some exercise, getting out for a walk, doing some housework or clearing out clutter. I snack far less in the evenings since I started doing that.
  • catapennarolli96
    catapennarolli96 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Totally get you!!! I'm also looking to loose many pounds and it sure is real hard but we'll make it. The hard part is to keep going and for that having friends to keep you motivated and talking can help. I'm in if you want to be friends :)
  • formygirls02
    formygirls02 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Thank you all for reaching out. I love the idea of eating less during the day and leaving more for the evening. I guess its always been ingrained in me that I have to eat a certain amount for every meal. Isn't it weird how a habit is hard to break and changing it is really so obvious!? :smile:

Can I add you guys as friends?

I will keep you posted of my journey. I am going to take this slowly and be more mindful of my meal and exercise plans.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Joanne
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    @formygirls02 of course you can.

I don't think it helps that we are constantly told that if we eat this way or that it's wrong or right, but the fact is there are plenty of scientific studies out there that tell us now that meal frequency and timing has little to no impact on weight management. So really it's just a case of finding a way to manage your calorie deficit that works for you, that could be 3 square meals a day as traditional Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner or it might be the total opposite.

As long as you're getting adequate nutrition and meeting your calorie allowance the weight will come off in a healthy steady way.