Blood Type Diets

Options
Anyone tried eating according to your blood types? I’ve started reading a book Eat Right For Your Blood Type by Dr. Peter J. D’Adamo. I’m blood Type 0 and he recommends high protein and leafy green diet. I’m curious if anyone has had any luck or tried following this dietary recommendation.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No, but I eat according to my zodiac sign - I'm a Leo and love meat :D
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    They've been completely debunked.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Hahahaha. What's the scientific backing they use I wanna read this book.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I saw that book on our local library shelf years ago, I'm surprised it's still in print.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm a Sagittarius and had oats and an apple today!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    More seriously, there is no logical reason why your blood type and your ideal diet would be connected.

I'm B-, and my type says I'm supposed to avoid chicken and consume goat and a lot of dairy, it seems based on some steppe warrior stereotype (I call it the Dothraki diet). I'd probably be fine on it (although I lost weight fine eating plenty of chicken too, and it's not a diet I prefer at the moment), but it's kind of funny given that B is a pretty rare blood type in many areas that traditionally had dairy as a significant portion of the diet, and is more common in parts of Asia that tend to be lactose intolerant. So I think that's evidence for it being bunk.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I'm a Scorpio and I ate insects that I poisoned and crushed with my hands!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I'm a Scorpio and I ate insects that I poisoned and crushed with my hands!

Always the overachievers.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    It's sad when MD's and authors resort to pseudoscience just to make a buck off people.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    A 2013 systematic review of the evidence supporting blood type diets was published in one of the world’s most prestigious nutrition journals. Finding: no evidence it is real.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23697707
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    gntlbee wrote: »
    Hi, I have been checking out the Blood Type Diet since my chiropractor recommended eating more meat since I'm an O. In looking at it, and thinking and reviewing what I eat frequently it does make sense that Type O's produce more stomach acid and certain things aggravate that and put the body in a state of illness and inflammation. I know in the past when I have left off the carbs-potatoes, bread, and similar items I have felt much better. Holidays and birthdays caught up to me and now I'm trying to get back to striving for healthier choices. My biggest item is no sugar. I'm looking to find a group with similar dietary concerns that offers suggestions and support.

Wow, you either didn't read any of the previous comments or you just didn't care. Either way, I like the cut of your jib!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been checking out the Blood Type Diet since my chiropractor recommended eating more meat since I'm an O. In looking at it, and thinking and reviewing what I eat frequently it does make sense that Type O's produce more stomach acid and certain things aggravate that and put the body in a state of illness and inflammation. I know in the past when I have left off the carbs-potatoes, bread, and similar items I have felt much better. Holidays and birthdays caught up to me and now I'm trying to get back to striving for healthier choices. My biggest item is no sugar. I'm looking to find a group with similar dietary concerns that offers suggestions and support.

Did you read any of this thread? Blood types have been systematically disproved. Type O people do not product more stomach acid. Stomach acid has no connection to blood type, period.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Chiropractors have no business giving any nutritional advice, and this is why.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Curiosity got me. I'm AB-. According to this diet, I have low stomach acid, so have problems digesting meat, and should eat small frequent meals to counteract digestive problems.

I am 45 yrs old, so I have plenty of experience with how my body works. I am constantly hungry when I eat lots of small meals. I struggled to lose weight until I started skipping eating breakfast and focused on a big lunch and dinner and a decent sized late night snack.

I also have an iron stomach. Nothing bothers me: spicy food, fatty food, alcohol, acidic food. I don't know what heartburn feels like. I am about as "regular" as a digestive system can be. I have not noticed any heaviness or digestive issues from eating meat, even a larger than normal serving.

So basically the opposite of what my blood type supposedly says is true.

I give it a 1/10, would not do. (1 point for managing to be a thing for so long with no scientific credibility) It makes no logical sense why your blood type would affect how you digest things anyway.