1000 or 1200 calorie minimum?

Options
Which is it? This app went from a 1200 min to 1000 for women. So I've be eating 1050-1100 a day to get over the 1000 calories. My dr said as long as I'm not faint or dizzy I'm eating enough.

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Are you extremely short or small of stature?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Not feeling faint or dizzy doesn't mean you're eating enough.

MFP's default minimum for women is 1200 calories, but it will allow you to close your diary out if it's above 1000. However, the majority of people don't need to eat that low for weight loss. What are your stats?
  • Kayla647
    Kayla647 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes that's what I meant the diary can now close at 1000 I'm 5ft 4.5" was 255lbs when I started lost 15 so now at 240 just finished supper I'm closing my diary at 1074 today
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The National Institutes of Health indicates that eating plans of 1,500 calories for men, and 1,200 calories for women, are safe and effective in achieving weight loss. To align with these guidelines myfitnesspal has implemented a separate calorie minimum for males of 1,500 calories per day. Previously, the minimum was 1,200 calories for both men and women
    From https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals

I have observed that completing the diary with the web site and different versions of the app gets a slightly different warning message but in more than one place 1200 is the minimum recommended calorie goal. Allowing you to close the diary with less than 1200 calories does not mean it is your goal to do so. Eat the amount you are supposed to.
    If you have trouble reaching your calorie goal rethink the type of foods you are eating. Maybe include more fats or carbs.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

I'm 5'4" and started at 179lbs. MFP has never given me a goal below 1200.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Well if her doctor told her to eat only 1000 calories and is monitoring her, that's one thing.

I started at 237 lbs. and to lose 2 lbs. per week I was eating about 1450 calories according to MFP. And I'm 52 (5'4") so I'm close to the height of the OP. Gradually I reset my goals until I had lost about 28 lbs., and was down to 1200 per day. I reset again to lose 1 lb. per week because it was too little food for me, so that I could eat between 1500-1600 calories.

We are all different, but unless her doctor told her to eat that little, it seems like she could eat more and still lose.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Most docs don’t get much nutrition education and any good doctor would refer you to a dietician. Just because you don’t feel dizzy doesn’t mean you are properly feeding your body. Calculate your BMR, that is the minimum you need to fuel your body if you were in a coma. Add on your daily non exercise activity and you’ll need more calories.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    So the way I am reading this, the doctor hasn't set her at 1000 calories, has just told her that if she feels faint or dizzy that's when she isn't eating enough, which is pretty vague.

OP I am a couple of inches taller than you, but was the same start weight, if you want this to work in the long haul and you haven't been given any specific instructions from your doctor, there is no reason for you to be eating so little. I was losing 1lb per week on 1500 net per day and eating all of my exercise calories back, actual intake of 1800-2200 calories depending on how active I was.

I think a good start and something that is already mentioned above is understanding how the calorie allowance MFP gives you is calculated:

qj94mmpq8z67.jpg

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    given your stats there is absolutely no need to eat that little. you could probably double it and still lose weight.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im 5'1 and lose about 2 pounds a week when i stick close to 1200. anything less (other than the totally random day or so) isnt healthy or safe.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I personally can't eat below 1400 cals on the regular so I would say 1200 is probably the absolute minimum for most and I'm 5'5", but if OP can maintain it and is under doctor supervision then I don't think it's toooo big of a problem. I however don't believe it's sustainable and you have to be very aware that alot of people who go on very low calorie diets end up yo yoing because it is unsustainable long term and you're more likely to throw in the towel and crack.

Be mindful that this is a marathon not a sprint you don't have to punish yourself, do a deficit you can maintain for a year without breaking your spirit. Good luck OP I hope you find the right balance, but if you do intend to stay so low keep in regular contact with your clinician.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If the app allows some women to 'close' their diary and announce a successful day with only 1000 calories, it indicates to me that UA have determined that their civil liability is zero.
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 6" 245 pounds, and a couple weeks ago I only ate around 1000 calories because I forgot to eat my 250 calorie after dinner snack. (It was logged and everything!) I felt fine...until the day after I got a really bad headache during my usual 16 hour fast, and my sensible lunch that is fine for me every other day was suddenly not enough. Even after eating my dinner after work I felt faint and I had to take a nap upon getting home.

This might not happen to you day one of 1000 calories, but it could happen over time, or make you more susceptible to binging or just diet burnout in general, not to mention that you have to really pack those 1000 calories with the macro and micronutrients your body and brain need to function properly--which is why you really should not be doing this unless under the close supervision of a registered dietitian. Even then, it may still be against MFP's guidelines to post about it here, which may cut you off from a support network if that is a consideration for you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If the app allows some women to 'close' their diary and announce a successful day with only 1000 calories, it indicates to me that UA have determined that their civil liability is zero.

IIRC, the warning still pops up but they can send to their feed