Working with a nutrition coach - Anyone care to share experiences?

Options
2»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Personally why waste money on a coach when all the tools are here for you on MFP.

Why waste your money paying a contractor to build a house when everything you need is at home Depot?

Well I would agree with that too...but then I'm a hands on kinda gal so will attempt anything :smiley:
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Personally why waste money on a coach when all the tools are here for you on MFP.

Because sometimes there are outside factors and I am not a nutritionist and after switching up my diet/fitness things still are not progressing the way I want them to. Despite the “tools” being on MFP and myself being a certified trainer in multiple disciplines, and being an avid reader of nutrition articles, etc, I am not achieving what I want to.

If MFP works for you alone, that’s phenomenal! It worked for me for a year and a half, and then I came to a standstill. I want the accountability from an outside source when I’m putting in 90-hour weeks between two jobs and a full grad-school classload (which I had explained in a perilous post). :smile:
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

Why waste your money paying a contractor to build a house when everything you need is at home Depot?

Well I would agree with that too...but then I'm a hands on kinda gal so will attempt anything :smiley:

In my case, I tried the hands on approach and it wasn't working.

What I needed was help understanding how to incorporate enough fuel during my extended workouts that required significant calories to complete ( such as a 4hr bike/1hour run on Sat, then a 1 hr swim/2hr run on Sunday, burning 1500-2000 calories/day ). The eating plan also needed to provide enough calories to support recovery from the high training volume while also supporting an overall weight loss process, since my appetite was huge during this time period. This was a balancing act and the RD worked with my tri coach to be sure we got it right.

That expertise was worth every penny spent.

• Gracie12311
    Gracie12311 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

No to this.

OP, you sound like you’re on the right track. You realize where your strengths and weaknesses lie and accountability can really help a person. Others, not so much, so it’s good to know what you need to help you with your own personal journey.

MFP is not really geared towards nutrition and understanding different ways of eating. It’s excellent for calorie counting and weight loss. But if you’re looking to feel better, explore different ways of eating and positive accountability, it’s not what I’d recommend. There are a few groups that are wonderful. The rest is pretty basic calories in, calories out. People on the forum groups don’t understand or want to hear about intermittent fasting, Keto, gluten free, low carb, clean eating or anything other than “eat what you want at a deficit.”

If someone does have a question about this or an opinion, you’ll find everyone marks it as woo. I think you’ll do really well if you research your nutrition counselor and go with your gut. Sounds like you know what you need for YOU, good luck!

• mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options

I think you’ll do really well if you research your nutrition counselor and go with your gut. Sounds like you know what you need for YOU, good luck!

Thank you Gracie! That’s really kind, and I absolutely appreciate your positivity. I’m really excited for this journey.
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    sssgilbe wrote: »
    mlewon wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

My name is Marisa, I'm 25, and I'm a full-time grad student and yoga instructor. Grad school has really been kicking my *kitten*, and I've been super inconsistent with eating, so I decided to get an online nutrition coach for three months starting up on Monday. I'm super excited about it, but I'd love to hear other people's experiences, what you felt was the best part of it/any challenges (mentally, etc), any advice! I've never worked with a nutrition coach before, only ever fitness trainers (I've been working in gyms for awhile now), but now I know the help I need is definitely in the kitchen/accountability.

Hopefully some of you have some experiences to share! Thanks :)

This place is very anti-nutritional coaching, as you are seeing. Hopefully your experience is good and let us know how it goes. The accountability factor can make all the difference for some people. Good luck!

It's because loads of them are clueless.

The cluelessness is not understanding different people are motivated in different ways. You and OP may thrive having another person tell you what to eat and evaluate your choices; that's my idea of hell.

You've misunderstood me.

Most nutritional coaches are clueless.

Whew, thanks for the clarification and calm response. I agree and am glad my post didn't start a fire.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Did you really compare the skills that it takes to build a house compared to the skills it takes to eat?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    mlewon wrote: »

Because sometimes there are outside factors and I am not a nutritionist and after switching up my diet/fitness things still are not progressing the way I want them to. Despite the “tools” being on MFP and myself being a certified trainer in multiple disciplines, and being an avid reader of nutrition articles, etc, I am not achieving what I want to.

If MFP works for you alone, that’s phenomenal! It worked for me for a year and a half, and then I came to a standstill. I want the accountability from an outside source when I’m putting in 90-hour weeks between two jobs and a full grad-school classload (which I had explained in a perilous post). :smile:

And that makes sense.

But don't go to anyone who isn't an RD. Even though some RDs are awful -- I've certainly had more than my fair share of awful ones -- they're still better than a generic "nutritionist" who has no license or educational requirements. Look for an RD who has training in sports performance, if that's what you want, or even just a general one, if you don't have any specific concerns. But don't waste the money on a nutritionist.

If you're going to pay money for help and accountability, make sure you're spending it on the best resource that you can get, and not just the "oh, this looks good" option.