Workout ideas for a weight loss challenge

Options
I just started a weight loss challenge this week. So I’m trying to figure out. What kind of workouts to do, I have a bad knee, so no running. Any ideas

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a stationary bike, they can be great for people with bad knees. It depends on what kind of knee injury you have.

Weight loss is dependent on calories, not exercise, so be sure you log and stay under your calorie allotment.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Swimming, water aerobics.
  • Bann554
    Bann554 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Chair yoga. It helps to strengthen joints. Several on YouTube. I just saw some on net today. I'll back to you.
  • Aud66
    Aud66 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just come through a knee injury myself. Bought myself a stationery bike, best thing ever. Was able to do a HIIT workout without putting to much strain on knee. Also lifted weights being careful not to strain knee but also bought knee sleeves to help support, which I still wear now.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Melolson14 wrote: »
    I just started a weight loss challenge this week. So I’m trying to figure out. What kind of workouts to do, I have a bad knee, so no running. Any ideas

Exactly what is "bad" about your knee. What rehab have you gotten from the doc/PT?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Anything really. You can lose weight doing nothing if you want, just eat at a deficit. You could walk, do an elliptical or stationary bike. Swimming.
  • fitfoundations
    fitfoundations Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep it low impact but focus on strengthening that knee so it's not a limitation for the long run :) Yoga is an excellent place to start for strength and stability. There are great Youtubers (Journey Junkie and Yoga with Adriene) and Doyogawithme.com is another favorite. For strength, Fitness Blender has great low impact workouts you can do at home.
  • Melolson14
    Melolson14 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thank you for some great ideas.
    Tomorrow is my next weigh in. I’m excited and nervous about it. I have been eating good.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Weight loss can only be done by eating in a deficit. One will lose weight just as fast as exercising if the same deficit. You can do all the cardio/exercises you want, the deficit is the only thing that will cause weight loss.

That being said, resistance training is the best for helping to prevent muscle loss.

If you are set on doing a challenge and topping out at losing weight, keep in mind you will lose a ton of muscle and more than likely won't achieve a goal for how you will look.

Weight loss does not equate fat loss on its own.
  • Bellavita14
    Bellavita14 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Melolson14 wrote: »

Try Aquafit!! I lost 20 Pound's doing it.. But you gotta go hard
  • Melolson14
    Melolson14 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I had my first weight this week for the challenge. I lost 1.3lbd add 1/2 inch.
    It is a start