Half Marathon (Realistic expectations)

Options
Hello everyone,

This post has two purposes: Share my experiences and ask some questions.

Experiences:

I consider myself a runner. I started to run almost a year ago. Initially I didn't have too much experience or expectations. I used to just go to the treadmill and ran a couple minutes here and there. Then, one day, I signed for a 3.5 miler, and then my life changed. I started the C25K program, and by May 2017 I completed the program. Long story short, I completed the 3.5 miler in 28 minutes and in the process I fell in love with running (mainly because I traded the treadmill for the road). By May I was able to complete my first 5K in 23 minutes, and by October I completed my first 10K un 47 minutes. This is when all hell broke lose. I got greedy, and I said to myself (erroneously off course): "Hey, if I can run a 10K I'm sure that I can easily run a half marathon", so I agresively started to increase my mileage. I went from 6~ miles (my longest weekend run) to 9 miles in less than a month. That's when my back gave up. Just to clarify, I went to two orthopedic doctors and several physical therapy sessions, and saw no improvement. Frustrated, I decided to go to the chiropractor and his assessment is similar to the one that the doctor gave me (tight back and tight hamstrings). Finally, yesterday I was able, after almost two months of misery, ton run one mile pain free (the chiropractor told me just to keep running). My pace was 10.26 min/mile, but that's not an issue. This time I will go super slow, and wisely increase my mileage. I am also still going to the chiropractor to get some adjustments.

Question:

I am enrolled for a half marathon in July, based on my experiences and my actual condition, do you think that a half marathon in July is realistic? Again, pace is not a concern, but I would like to run the entire course. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post...

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    You have seven months. If you can slowly and gradually increase your weekly volume over the next 4 months without pain, then start a HM program like one of Hal Higdon's and see how it goes. I went from couch to HM in 6 months. You have the advantage of knowing what you are capable of doing. You've run 9 miles, so running itself isn't as intimidating as it is for a real newbie.

One question: where do you live? July is really hot in a lot of places, so long races then can be problematic. You might want to wait until late September or October, depending on your location.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I live in Chicago. I'm planning to do the Rock and Roll Half Marathon. I'm hoping to make that one with some friends, but if I'm not ready I will not push it. I may walk the course too if needed. Thanks again for the advice, I will look into Hal Hidgon's programs.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The back thing is very tricky! My experience with lower back pain is that running actually helps it get better. I will often throw my back out when the weather turns cool, especially if I am training hard.

I think you are getting good advice about hamstring and back strength and flexibility.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It certainly sounds doable, but I think the question is better posed to your ortho/PT. Keep up your foam rolling/stretching/whatever your routine entails and don't be afraid to back off a little on training if needed. Better to miss one or two runs than to re-injure yourself.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    as above, it sounds doable... keep up to your physio and whatever you need to do to keep your back happy, do plenty of work on the hamstrings, and start training for it.

that's all you can do.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Can you ask your PT about yoga?

It's the only thing that fixed my back. I do 10-15 minutes each morning and down ward dogs and pigeon after a run.
  • raspuller
    raspuller Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Absolutely doable. You can either find a solid 12-week training program on the web (there are several, find one that works) or you can just follow the 10% rule - each week add 10% to your long run. Either way, you have plenty of time so long as you have a solid base (can comfortably run 3-4 miles).
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will definitely ask about yoga. I started to incorporate gentle yoga on my own, and it's definitely helping. Hope to increase my mileage again soon. This time I will go super slowly though, do I don't get an injury again. The other issue with me was that I became friend with a coworker who is also a runner, and he was also aggressive with his mileage. He went from 40 miles per week to nearly 80 miles really quick. I injured my back in the process, and he injured his achilles. Moral of the story, don't be too aggressive or risk a severe injury...
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Find a solid plan (Hal Higdon is good because there are a variety of levels based on experience and effort) and follow the plan. Listen do your body, and take rest days. Run easy when the plan says run easy.
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have a problem with your training plan, as you said pace is not an issue. But there may be an issue with your form, style, footstrike, which sparks up the problem with your lower pack.
    Didn't the chiropractor say anything? The doctors didn't either?

If there is a problem of tightness you should look into trigger points and learn to release them with a foam roll/ball, not fun but needed. But that's a very basic problem, two doctors should have found that before. What was the diagnosis?
    Be careful also with that note about pace, the slower you go the longer you are in contact with the ground, also the heavier the impact on your body.
  • Franacious
    Franacious Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I certainly think you should consider yoga practice if your diagnosis is a tight back and hamstrings. It makes a huge difference. I incorporated yoga poses into my cool down routine when I was training for my half last summer and it made a great difference in my running and my day after my run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You've got 7 months to train so that shoulddn't be an issue.

As to the tight hamstrings etc I'd make a point of stretching, foam rolling etc and see if that helps. I'd also suggest seeing a registered massage therapist (definitely not the nice relaxing type of spa massage) and discuss your specific issues. I missed about 7 weeks of running a number of years ago with IT band issues and my RMT had me running again after 2 (painful) session, felt like I'd been hit by a truck but worth it. I've been going back on a regular basis since....
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest doing some movements to help stretch and strengthen your hamstrings, glutes and lower back. Yoga as mentioned is great. I'd also try some posterior chain work like glute Bridges and RDL's (as well as single leg versions of each). Strengthen your entire core may help, Superman's, planks, hollow holds, etc.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I think @rybo has a good point - build core strength. This link has some great exercises: https://www.runnersworld.com/strength-training/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-runners/slide/1
  • ABabilonia
    Options
    trimi1104 wrote: »
    I don't think you have a problem with your training plan, as you said pace is not an issue. But there may be an issue with your form, style, footstrike, which sparks up the problem with your lower pack.
    Didn't the chiropractor say anything? The doctors didn't either?

If there is a problem of tightness you should look into trigger points and learn to release them with a foam roll/ball, not fun but needed. But that's a very basic problem, two doctors should have found that before. What was the diagnosis?
    Be careful also with that note about pace, the slower you go the longer you are in contact with the ground, also the heavier the impact on your body.

The initial diagnosis was pinched sciatic nerve, for which I did PT. The second diagnosis, with a different Orthopedic Sports Medicine Doctor, was tight back. He also recommended PT. This time the Physical Therapist Doctor told me that I had a problem with posture, and that I was putting too much pressure on my back because of my posture. He recommended stretches, essentially just stretches. Not foam rolling or trigger point release. The Chiropractor also said that my posture was a problem, that whenever I bend over my shoulders hunch almost immediately. The Chiropractor also said that both my back and hamstrings. I had my first session last week, and I believe that thanks to that I was able to run my first mile pain free in months. I am doing foam rolling and trigger point release by myself. Along with lot of stretching and yoga. Hope I can improve. Thanks everybody for the wonderful suggestions.

• JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It’s a half marathon. You stated yourself pace doesn’t matter to you, so there shouldn’t be a problem. Walk it if you need to walk it. A lot of technical answers above, and honestly probably thinking to much into it. Just keep doing what you’re doing, and get to the starting line. After that just enjoy the race!!!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    sjp_511 wrote: »
    I think @rybo has a good point - build core strength. This link has some great exercises: https://www.runnersworld.com/strength-training/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-runners/slide/1

This all day long.

I have a weird piriformis that likes to flare up. There's a variety of core work that I do (Google Runner's World never get hurt) or something like that. There's a video and an article about some core things you can do. I'm not perfect at it, but when I incorporate those exercises several times a week, I feel better all around, not just when running. Gotta have core muscles to support your back.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »

I am enrolled for a half marathon in July, based on my experiences and my actual condition, do you think that a half marathon in July is realistic? Again, pace is not a concern, but I would like to run the entire course. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post...

Given what you've described you've got reasonable experience and capability to train for a Half in the time available. I wouldn't do anything more complex than a canned plan; RunnersWorld, Higdon etc. In many ways Higdon plans in cross training and I think that's where you'll get benefit.

I am not a physiotherapist, so I'm going to recommend a physio rather than a chiropractor. To me it does, however, sound more like the tightness is a consequence of core strength challenges. Yoga will help, but the linked RW article is good. Another alternative might be TRX if you can get access to a system.

The core contributes strongly to posture, which causes the weakness you describe.

That will also allow you to retain good running posture for longer periods, which reduces fatigue.