Worth buying a treadmill or just go to gym

Options
13»

Replies

• Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    The gym has more than just treadmills, and you should use more than just a treadmill. Gym for the win.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I love walking outside but when the weather is ugly I do use my treadmill. Nothing fancy whatsoever. I bought it from a friend (who never used it) for $75 over 10 years ago. I have certainly gotten my money's worth from it. If I were a serious runner I would probably invest in a better one, but for walking at a moderate pace while watching dumb TV, then it works for me. I'm sure there are plenty used ones for sale on CL or ebay.

MUCH cheaper than a gym membership. However, there are lots of other things to do at a gym so that may be a deciding factor.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Is there an indoor track near you?
    That is possibly an option if you are not sure.
    Here I got a 4 month 'track only pass' for $84 Cdn.
    It's super wintery dangerous icy here.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I've done some of my walking in the winter time just walking around doing laps at Walmart. I don't take a cart with me so I'm not tempted to load down on crap LOL. You can do indoor walking at a mall or any large store. Unfortunately for me the closest mall is 40 minutes away and it isn't even that big. The bigger mall is over an hour away.

But Walmart is not that far and sometimes I combine my walking with my grocery shopping. I do my walking around Walmart first and then grab my cart and pick up my groceries and go. I would rather do that than have a treadmill in my house lol
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I usually run outside and belong to a gym so that I can run on the treadmill in truly extreme weather. Although I've considered purchasing a treadmill to avoid the hassle and crowds of the gym, there are a few things holding me back: price--I want a gym quality treadmill and those don't come cheap. Would I get the use out of it to justify the price? Treadmills are large and heavy and you need to have space to devote to them.

That being said, if you've decided that you really, really, really want a treadmill, the Sole ones are on huge sale right now (50% off!) at soletreadmills.com and they get decent ratings across the board...
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If I was going to buy a treadmill I’d get a cheap used one on Facebook marketplace. Maybe $200 max. If you end up not making use of it then you can just sell it and make your money back. Hell no I would not spend $1200 on a treadmill.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on your goals.
    Gym is going to have so much more to offer.. Other cardio and weights.
    But, if the treadmill is all you are going to use, then I would purchase one.

For me personally, having the equipment at home did not make a difference for me. I have a row machine, treadmill, bike, and other misc stuff like dumbbells, bands etc. I rarely use any of them. I had a big Marcy Diamond Elite set with the Smith system and never used it. I ended up giving it away. I prefer going to the gym. I will workout longer and harder there than if I was at home. Less distractions from spouse and kids.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    OK so I'm a road runner (not the feathered variety) and I can't understand how anyone can run on a treadmill - whether at home or at the gym. My recommendation would be try outside first a few times especially if you don't already run.

And I can't understand how people run outside when it's -25F (-31C) and 30MPH (48KPH), so I learned how to run on a treadmill 6 months a year.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I typically run to the gym but never on a treadmill. It works for me!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym, and avoid the clutter.
  • scarlet67
    scarlet67 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I got one last year..never looked back. Doing RED January! Use it any time you want .
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I bought a treadmill and love it. It gets most of its use in the winter time. I am glad I bought it. Mine is a NordicTrack with the iFit.

Edited to say: I bought my treadmill in 2013. It’s survived two moves. Runs great. And I have a home gym and it works best for my work schedule.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i used to have a proform crosswalk. i think i got it at sears. i loved it. lost like 50 pounds using it twice a week for an hour each time at about 4 miles an hour and then a 45 minute step workout. (for a total of three workouts a week) i hate the gym.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    It really depends on which you'd use. I know me. I wouldn't be willing to drive to a gym very often, because I hate driving. Heading down to the basement or out the front door is a lot easier. If you're running before or after work, can you go on your way or will it require you to return home to change? It can be hard to head out again. OTOH, if you don't have people around, will you still be motivated to work hard? Some people prefer to work alone, others prefer to work out with other people. Do you enjoy doing classes? Then a gym is probably a good choice. Do you plan to start doing weights? Then again, a gym is a good choice.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i started out with a treadmill i bought used from kijiji for 100$!!! an i used it for a year and then bought gym membership to do weights but still love my tready!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I usually run outside and belong to a gym so that I can run on the treadmill in truly extreme weather. Although I've considered purchasing a treadmill to avoid the hassle and crowds of the gym, there are a few things holding me back: price--I want a gym quality treadmill and those don't come cheap. Would I get the use out of it to justify the price? Treadmills are large and heavy and you need to have space to devote to them.

That being said, if you've decided that you really, really, really want a treadmill, the Sole ones are on huge sale right now (50% off!) at soletreadmills.com and they get decent ratings across the board...

I have a Sole. I bought it for $1500 10 years ago, so it was one of the better home ones offered at the time. I bought it because I was driving 40 minutes roundtrip just to use a treadmill at the gym. I figured I’d save time and gas if I just had one at home. Then I got pregnant and didn’t use for the next 6 years!

I’m far more serious about running now and do most of it outside, but having the treadmill means I have no excuses and it’s prevented me from bagging runs just because of time/weather.

I also have a gym membership just so I can run outside. Childcare for 3 kids makes it worth it. We do use the pools quite a bit too. There’s no shame in how you decide to use your gym even if it’s just to use a treadmill. I’d say it’s better than people who pay for a membership and never go.
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I got a bowFlex m3 at home and it's great and will push you. However, I like feeling the energy around me at the gym. I like seeing the regulars and being around the same people with the similar mindset.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I decided to go for a gym quality commercial Chinese manufactured treadmill instead of a known brand. It had the best warranty, great weight limit (200 kg) so it wouldn't strain under my weight, length and width were just right, and all the bells and whistles. The only thing I don't like about it is the screen, but that's just because I like all things high tech and it looks low tech. No bearing on the performance of the treadmill itself. It was a bit risky to not go for a branded one, but buying a gym quality treadmill for the price of a home treadmill was tempting. Thankfully I haven't regretted it or needed to use that warranty yet. It gets a lot of pounding and sometimes several people in the house use it in the same day, so it would be running for hours no problem. I got lucky with it.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Another, walk or run outside, it is free and wonderful...treadmills suck unless icy, snowy or impossible to move outdoors.