Gym vs Home Workouts

Options
I'm curious, what makes you pick gym over home or home over gym? I have a gym membership for the days that I'm going to be out from super early til late; I just bring my gym bag and make a stop during the day. Otherwise, I'm 100% about my home workouts. I follow DVD programs so I'm never lacking for direction or questioning what routine I should put together for myself, I find it to be so much easier.

Replies

• MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    For me it comes down to one simple question - are there cute girls there? Kidding. Sort of.

Personally, I can't do home workouts for two reasons - lack of proper equipment (because I like to lift), and environment. That whole don't *kitten* where you sleep idea. I need a proper space to feel in the moment and get the most out of my workouts. I used to live in a condo with a small gym and even that was hard for me. I needed to get out of the "home" environment. Gym vibes are real.
  • HanaThorne
    HanaThorne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Obviously I’m just starting out but I have exercised before. I am like the poster two posts up, because I need to have a clean spatial separation - this is where I live, this is where I work, this is where I work out. I can’t work out in a place that for me means relaxation and comfort, and that’s home. My home also happens to be a very very, very small place. I forget the English word, but basically I live and sleep in the same room. Is that a condo...?
    Just my 2cents.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    HanaThorne wrote: »
    Obviously I’m just starting out but I have exercised before. I am like the poster two posts up, because I need to have a clean spatial separation - this is where I live, this is where I work, this is where I work out. I can’t work out in a place that for me means relaxation and comfort, and that’s home. My home also happens to be a very very, very small place. I forget the English word, but basically I live and sleep in the same room. Is that a condo...?
    Just my 2cents.

Over here it's a studio apartment. And ok, I hear that.
  • ccruz985
    Options
    I have a 6ft barbell and free weights,squat rack ( most recent addition),kettlebell,treadmill and exercise bike at home.

I used to go to the gym but since I started working over 50h a week and studying for a degree in the evenings I have no time or energy to go so instead of paying membership I saved up and overtime added more to my equipment.
    Having everything at home just makes it so much easier and convenient.

My situation is almost identical. Once I started working 50 - 60 hours a week, I just really wanted to get home and counted the time I saved not having to travel to and from the gym by just working out at home priceless. I invested and got Select Tech weights to save space because I have an apartment, not a house, and I have yoga mats and blocks and a weight vest. The home DVDs also make me glad that I don't have to think about what body part I'm working and if I'm overworking one because they spread it out for you.
  • ccruz985
    Options
    For me it comes down to one simple question - are there cute girls there? Kidding. Sort of.

Personally, I can't do home workouts for two reasons - lack of proper equipment (because I like to lift), and environment. That whole don't *kitten* where you sleep idea. I need a proper space to feel in the moment and get the most out of my workouts. I used to live in a condo with a small gym and even that was hard for me. I needed to get out of the "home" environment. Gym vibes are real.

Okay! I hear that. That gym vibe definitely is real but it just doesn't suit me. To each their own friend.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Gym for me. I’ve tried the at home workouts, but it never feels like a true workout to me. I need a TM, squat rack, bench, barbells, etc. I’d love to have THAT setup at home, but don’t see that happening anytime soon.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out at the gym.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I prefer home. I have some decent equipment and can get it done and I like working out alone with no one around me. Some people love the gym environment and it motivates them, it doesn't work for me.
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    For me, accountability. I do well training for my sport but then I have an inner feeling I'm "done" after that is over. I'm not done, I'm supposed to be doing cross training in the gym as well but I cannot say I enjoy it. It's purely a requirement I fulfill and yes I know it keeps me from getting injured -been there done that- and I could do it at home since I use very simple equipment. But truth is I wouldn't do any cross training at home, so that's it, accountability.
  • rebekaxox
    rebekaxox Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love the gym because of the equipment, I feel like I can get a better work out in, and I’ve realized I really like weightlifting
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have two kids under 5, so it's just easier for me to squeeze a workout in during naptime at home instead of bundling them both up into the car after packing everything they need and taking them to daycare so I can go to a gym.
  • missperfectpitch
    missperfectpitch Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do workouts at home. I have a mat, a pair of adjustable dumbbells, and some other weights at home, and it's much easier to motivate myself to do my workouts when everything I need is right in front of me. Some days I don't feel motivated enough to do a workout until late in the evening, and if I went to a gym instead, I could see myself deciding to just skip working out instead of going to the gym at night on a lazy day. The type of workouts I do also lend themselves more to working out at home, as I do online videos and also like to have music on. No distractions, and I can turn my music up without worrying about disturbing others.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I like the gym because I get a lot of satisfaction from the classes mine offers. I will go outside on my own for walks often when the weather is nice but any home equipment I have owned has always ended up collecting dust. I think it all depends on your personality and goals.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Things have definitely changed over the last (2?! :#) decades for me. In college I worked out at home and loved it. After college I joined a gym and loved it. Got married and lived in a tiny apartment and my work offered a discounted gym membership to the gym AT work and I loved it. Had a baby and took time off from working out at all then when I started working out again I needed to be in a gym to be away from a needy baby for a bit, not to mention the commute one hour early was waaay worth working out before work. Changed jobs and they offered a 50% discount to the YMCA which is an amazing gym with multiple locations that I definitely utilized.

Now, I recently got a used treadmill for free and feel really confident in my ability to be motivated whether I'm at home or at work so I took the plunge and quit the gym and I've been working out at home every day and loving it. It helps that my son is 8 now and not so needy. I turned his play room in to my gym and it's my new favorite thing!!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have dedicated a room in my house to be my workout room. I have a DVD player, dumbbells, a pull up bar, rebounder, and treadmill. I do a workout every morning at home. I use the free weights at the gym at work after work 2-3 days. The other evenings I either run at the park or go home and do another video.
  • ccruz985
    Options
    This is great, I love hearing the different perspectives on gym vs home!
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I have a bench, a bunch of dumbells, slam ball, resistance bands, treadmill and YouTube. I usually do FitnessBlender or I write down Alexia Clark's free stuff she posts on Instagram.

I like that I have no excuses to walk downstairs. I can crank my music, dance, sweat, take off my shirt if I get too hot. Works for me.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have both and like other have mentioned... it just puts me in a different mindset. Although my home gym consists of a rower, TRX, KB's, DB's, Bosu and other toys.... the gym is just a different vibe. Home gym workout for me are for when my time is limited or want to squeeze in a workout.