Beginning Juice

Options
I started juicing a couple weeks back. So far, once a day, generally a mix of kale, carrot, another green, apple and ginger.
For those that juice, do you count this as a meal, or add it to? How accurate are MFP calories? Mine seems to compare to another’s as 200+ for 2 cups of juice.
And of course, if you have a die hard recipe, let me know.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't juice as if I'm going to drink my calories they will contain alcohol.

MFP is as accurate or inaccurate as you make it. Check the entry you are using has the correct calorie and nutrition listed.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I don't juice as if I'm going to drink my calories they will contain alcohol.

MFP is as accurate or inaccurate as you make it. Check the entry you are using has the correct calorie and nutrition listed.

I'm with ya there! The closest I'm ever going to juicing is an apple martini. LOL

OP, If it was me and I was so inclined to juice (never got the point of drinking the least nutrious part of a veg/fruit, but...) I'd weigh each item before juicing it and log the veg/fruit in the "Recipe Builder". It's going to be off, because you aren't actually eating the whole thing, but then I'd know I'm safe and I'm not guessing.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with drinking juice. I enjoy the occasional glass of fresh squeezed OJ at brunch. You need to weigh it out and track the calories just like any other calories. Don't go by entries in the database especially if you do it every day. They're in no way related to what you're making. Those calories will add up fast.

It doesn't matter if you eat something else with it or not. Totally your preference.

I get the impression you think there are some special weight loss benefits to juicing, though. If that's what you're thinking you're mistaken. It's not going to jump start your metabolism or boost your fat loss or any of that other woo.
  • raspuller
    raspuller Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I juice 3-4 times a week. I actually use a separate app to put together my numbers (http://www.juicingcollection.com/juicing-calculator/) and then add it to my database. The only challenge is, I rarely make the exact same thing twice so I have a lot of variations in my personal database.

I usually treat it as a snack, rather than a meal, depending on how much I drink and what else I have going on. If it's a heavy work-out day, it's definitely just a snack.

No recipes, sorry, I'm a wing-it kind of girl. Here's what my juice often looks like: several handfuls of a kale, spinach greens mix (like the kind you get in the small plastic tubs at the grocery). A full stalk of celery (not a rib, a full stalk), a cucumber or two, a lime or lemon, a couple of knobs of ginger, and a couple of tomatoes. This usually makes me two or 3 servings of juice. Alternatively, I trade out the celery and tomatoes for beets and carrots. Beware of beets - super nutritious, great restorative after a workout, but does things to your insides that will scare the crap (ha!) out of you.
  • curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I’m not juicing for the woo.

I’m adding it, to further increase nutrients, on top of all the greens I eat. But I’m not looking to add anymore than an additional 150 ish calories.

I was just looking for someone that actually does juice, that might have insight on caloric counts. I know the database is unreliable. Thanks!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    How do you juice kale?