Why do I stay so so red, even hours after exercise?

I finished a 45 min kettle bell class and hour ago, I'm still bright red, looking like a tomato ! So pleased to be back into exercise but it's embarrassing, as I stay such a high colour all day long. If I ride my bike to work, (5 miles) I shower when I get there and put my face on, but I can't hide the redness. People keep asking me if I'm ok. Any ideas on what how I can reduce the redness?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    I finished a 45 min kettle bell class and hour ago, I'm still bright red, looking like a tomato ! So pleased to be back into exercise but it's embarrassing, as I stay such a high colour all day long. If I ride my bike to work, (5 miles) I shower when I get there and put my face on, but I can't hide the redness. People keep asking me if I'm ok. Any ideas on what how I can reduce the redness?

Hydrate/electrolyte balance. If your HR/Blood pressure aren't an issue.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,444 Member
    When was the last time you had your blood pressure checked.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    assuming your blood pressure is within the normal range.... you might just be a person who is really red during and after a workout.

my BP is textbook normal, as are all my other vitals and labs. If im not beet red after a workout, i took it too easy. in fact for me, its a sign that i need to up intensity because my body as adjusted to the workouts ive been doing. it took me a long time to figure that out lol its just .... ME. now, it goes away within 30-45 minutes, but even with a shower and cool rinse, im red.

make sure your BP is fine, drink plenty of water before and after.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Same issue here and my BP is low/normal. It has been this way as long as I can remember. I am guessing just genetics. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    99% chance it's genetic and there's nothing you can do about it. If you're really concerned talk to your doctor.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I get the same thing, but it doesn't last quite as long. As far as I know there is nothing wrong with me. Some people just turn red.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited January 2018
    Same thing - Doctor told me I was just out of shape: I was running 6 miles a day at the time and my BP and labs were great... -_- I think it'll always be that way for me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    There are certain types of makeup that help neutralize reddishness.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Apparently it's a good sign that your circulation is working well!
  • mollysmom2009
    mollysmom2009 Posts: 8 Member
    i was told the blood vessels in my cheeks are closer to the surface of my skin....for whatever that's worth, i'm still in your boat!
  • starsstella33
    starsstella33 Posts: 24 Member
    I use a very dark green lotion and concealer to help with my red face- it tones it down enough that I don't look too bad at work
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    I stay very red for an hour or so but not quite that long. When it's in my cheeks it's because I have Rosacea. Do you find that you have a flush from other things (stress, alcohol etc)? It took me years to get diagnosed because mine's not very bad, I just have a weirdly flushed face sometimes! (It took a run of particularly bad stress that made it turn rash-like to make me think there was something odd and see a doctor about it.)

But I also get overheated quite easily (which makes my whole face red). I think part of that is because I don't sweat a lot. I have to be really careful to hydrate when it's hot especially if I'm exercising.
  • 69HealthyMe
    69HealthyMe Posts: 24 Member
    I’m the same way. My BP is fine so it’s just my genetics I guess