Anyone else missing soda?

Options
13»

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble getting out of bed, I'd reintroduce a cup of coffee. It's something I look forward to and starts the day off right. One cup of coffee with half and half is 80 calories well spent. In the afternoon, I'll occasionally have a Coke Zero on ice. I'll add a wedge of lemon sometimes because I live life on the edge. They now sell 8 ounce cans in addition to the 12 ounce cans, so I buy the smaller ones. So I'm drinking less caffeine than I used to, but I would sink into a black hole of despair if I had to give it all up.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Caffeine can be gotten without sugar. I gave up sugary soda pop 40 years ago and don't miss it. I most emphatically don't miss giving up the wretched diet soda pops of 35 years ago.
  • seriaadi59
    seriaadi59 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have up the soda...it has been hard! But there is no way I'm going to give up coffee! ......that's where I draw the line!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I can take or leave soda, and don't miss it when I don't drink it (although I do sometimes), but I love my coffee. I don't miss it, though, since I see no reason to cut it out. I do cut down from time to time and it's something I give up for periods of time to make sure I'm not too hooked, but that's it.

I'm cutting down currently so drinking more low caffeine/herbal tea instead (I always drink plenty of plain water too, because I love it and find it more thirst quenching and a better beverage for meals for me). But since I still have coffee daily I don't miss it. (I don't think coffee is bad for me in moderation, and since this seemed to be something assumed by the OP I figured it was worth noting. Not saying others can't have perfectly good reasons for cutting it out, though.)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have absolutely no reason to give up either of them, thus no intention to do so. Thus I don't miss them because they're not, nor will they ever be, absent.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    No, because I’ve never been a big soda drinker and maybe have one every few months. Caffeine I wouldn’t give up though. I have at least 2 cups of black coffee every day.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    carbonated drinks might lead to kidney stones.

if you've ever had a kidney stone, it's a worthy trade-off to give up sodas.

Huh? Anyone sciencey know how ingesting CO2 can cause kidney stones?

The caffeine, potassium, and sodium (salts) are what contribute to the kidney stones. I am very well versed because I am a "Stoner" having my first kidney stones at the age of 14.

AND This is the reason I finally got rid of caffeine, and sodas due to the salts included in the beverages (even diet). Not to mention the phosphoric acid. Coffee and Sodas are not good for me.

Green tea has a SUPER low amount of caffeine and my goal is to get rid of that soon too.

Sodas have barely any more sodium than tap water.

Correct, a 12oz can of Diet Coke only has 45mg which is pretty negligible to me.

I drink 2-3 cans a day.... Diet Dr Pepper is BOMB.

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,220 MFP Moderator
    Options
    66d7a2o7xko0.jpg

Hey folks - there was a minor clean-up in here. If you'd like to participate in a debate, please head over to the debate section and start a thread there. Lets allow folks to have threads where their actual questions get answered instead of turned into debate.

Happy Friday,
    JustSomeEm
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no because i still drink it. diet coke, but its still soda lol
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You can prise my Pepsi Max out of my cold, dead hands. >:) I lost 98lbs drinking a litre a day, and I'm happy to continue that.
  • dembkogirl
    dembkogirl Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't miss it at home, but when I go to the movies I still splurge and get a diet coke.....and popcorn ;)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I gave up regular soda in 2008. I found that after about 2 weeks I no longer had cravings. I drink it maybe twice a year now, and I do not miss it. I switched to unsweetened iced tea, so I was still getting caffeine. I just didn't need all the calories.

I have no issue with diet soda except that I cannot stand the taste. And I've tried many types. If I could tolerate them, I am sure I would be drinking them because I did love the fizziness of the drinks.