What pace are you adding weight?

Options
I have been strength training for a little over 2 years and have been seeing about 1 lb on average monthly gains. Is this average or am I gaining really slow? I do not supplement as I meet my protein needs. Any input would be appreciated

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    That is a very lean/slow bulk, which if fine especially if you have been lifting for a few years. How do you feel about your progress...muscle gains, bodyfat %, lifts, etc? How long are you planning on bulking? I would say average for a male is anywhere from 1-4lbs per month.

I am a female and on my third bulk, gaining 2lbs per month which is the maximum I would gain to keep fat at bay (this is for a female, men can go higher).

So it's up to you, you can definitely increase if you are comfortable.. if you are planning on a longer bulk then that rate of gain is perfectly fine. Just be sure your weight is increasing over time, because you are so close to maintenance you can easily stop making progress if you aren't monitoring carefully.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I'm gaining about 2 lbs a month. My plan is to bulk for as long as I possibly can before I feel like I want to kill myself.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This depends on your weight gain goal, how much do you want to gain, what time frame? Are you following a structured lifting program. Are you happy with your progress?

I am currently averaging 1.5 a month. Not too crazy about the slowness but not unhappy as I can keep going with my goal, was planning to maintain my new weight for a couple of months before I cut, so I have more time to bulk.

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I pretty much did the same thing (unintentionally) and am just now trimming off the fat that came with it. It'll be interesting to see if any of the muscle gain sticks.
  • BrianJohnson2015
    BrianJohnson2015 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks I have a very active job that I usually go over 750 calories burned through activity on my watch, however accurate that is without including workouts. I know I should prob eat more but I figured if I were showing some gains maybe slower is better than having to cut. My goal was 180 which I am flirting with depending on day and have readjusted to 185-190 range. Thanks for your inputs curious where everyone else was monthly
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I gained 15-17 lbs since July. But it was an accidental *kitten* bulk.