Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do you ever do less of a deficit on certain days?

I usually do a 1,000 calorie deficit but I worked out hard today and feel like I could have a tiny break. I’m thinking about just going with a 500 calorie deficit. Do you guys ever do that? I figure hey. It’s better than just totally falling off and binge eating everything in the house

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I rarely eat the same calories twice. As long as my weekly net average comes out somewhere near my target I'm happy.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,041 Member
    I go with my body's needs. If I'm freaking hungry, then I will go ahead and eat at (or perhaps even above if I'm THAT hungry) maintenance a day or two a week. Sure, maybe not the fastest way to lose weight, but I'd rather have the energy to do everything I want/need to do than to be too tired to get it done or have my workouts suffer!

That being said, I try not to eat just for the sake of eating, too, even if it's part of my daily intake, if I'm not hungry, then stop when I'm full.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Yes. No two days of mine are exactly the same.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I usually do a 1,000 calorie deficit but I worked out hard today and feel like I could have a tiny break. I’m thinking about just going with a 500 calorie deficit. Do you guys ever do that? I figure hey. It’s better than just totally falling off and binge eating everything in the house

Is your 1000 cal deficit after adding in exercise calories?

But short answer is yes. Some days I just am damn hungry or going out for a nice dinner and *kitten* it, I'm eating more. I try to keep my rolling 7 day total at or under my goal but will have a big day now and then.

Look at my last Friday for what I had while watching the Canada Juniors win Gold :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    I eat around maintenance one day per week.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Yesterday I was 328 calories over at the end of the day, but the day before i was 483 calories under, hence my raging hunger yesterday! My calories are never the same day in day out, but it all evens out in the end.

As someone else mentioned, I count any day under my TDEE a success :+1: I could never in a million years maintain a 1000 calorie deficit on a daily basis though, this would guarantee a binge day for me...
  • Oh definitely! ~listen to your body~ If my tummy is ravenous, you better believe there won't be too much of a deficit, but if for some reason my appetite is diminished, I'm making the most of that blue moon
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Yep,

Currently, I have bigger deficits through the week and eat over maintenance at the weekend. It all averages out to a bigger deficit that I was able to cope with when I was eating the same number of calories every day. Because I find this surprisingly easier than trying to eat the same number of calories every day. Life isn't the same every day. At the weekends I want to eat and drink with friends and family. Knowing there's beer and crisps on Saturday helps me to eat yet another salad through the week. :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,217 Member
    Yes, my intake varies because life varies.

Like PP above, my aim is for weekly amount to be around the target.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I lost my excess weight with five days a week at maintenance and that maintenance amount varied enormously in line with my exercise calories.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I try to eat closer to maintenance on days I lift and then a small deficit on rest days. I'm aiming for recomp/very slow losing.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    if i have a day where im ravenous.... sure. ill eat closer to maintenance. it doesnt happen often though. i eat back up to half of my estimated workout calories if i want them.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Yes I do. If I’m especially hungry. Or if I’m going out to eat or something. I going on vacation all next week and I just won’t log because it’ll be too much of a pain.
  • LizPalen412
    LizPalen412 Posts: 38 Member
    I definitely have days where I'm hungrier than others, so I will eat a little more sometimes. As long as I have SOME sort of deficit, I'm satisfied.. and I also have days where I don't eat all my calories because I'm just not particularly hungry that day, so I think it all evens out. Like others have said, it's your average over time, so I think it's fine to adjust your goal from day to day as needed, and it is much better than a binge and just saying F it and not tracking or something like that. Helps you stay in control.