Want to start weight training - Where do I start?

Options
I am 48 yrs old, weigh aprox 335lbs (started at 390 back in March). I've never done any sort of weight training in my life but from everything I'm reading about it, I think I'd like to try it.

I do cardio now - walking on treadmill, resistance type workouts in the pool and I swim a few laps.

The gym I go to has several different weight machines and free weights and dumbbells.

I don't even know how much weight I could lift at this point but I doubt it's more than ten pounds since carrying groceries seems to be the most weight lifting I've done in recent years.

So for those of you who are into weight training, where do I start?

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    http://rippedbody.jp/2011/09/22/training-the-guide/ - You can learn a lot from this website.

You want to keep it to compound lifts with a barbell.

Bench Press, Squat, Deadlift..

Not sure how comfortable/easy you'll be able to do them at your current weight,, but read through the ssite ive given you as you can learn a lot anyway. (Not sure if I gave you that link yesterday)
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    squats will probably kill my knees right now but I'll look at the other things.
  • kyliep99
    kyliep99 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi, ask at the gym for them to create a program, they'll show you how to use the machines and start you off on lower weights, you can gradually increase the weights as you feel stronger and more confident. I love my weights program and they change it every 6-8 weeks so I don't get bored.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Try water aerobics! Easy on joints because you will essentially be weightless in the water! They have foam dumbbells that serve as great resistance under water! Check your local ymca or gym.

Also, at home you can try resistance bands....they have different end sighted bands. Great workout for the full body, affordable and easy to use! Here's a YouTube workout; http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xU6_XQxDBwU

Good luck!

Shan;)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    In addition to those above who actually posted about weight lifting, let me add my favorite, "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

Pick a book, read it, and get started on the right track.
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    I second getting a copy of Starting Strength. However, squats and deadlifts might be extremely rough for you right now. Nevertheless, give them a shot under the guidance of someone who can properly judge your form (if you can).

New Rules of Lifting might provide you with a better starting point right now.