Lower fat peanuts

Options
So, I love nuts and eat them at night. I use them to hit my fat macro pretty much every day.
I just had a thought that maybe there was some kind of de-fatted peanut and I see there is a brand called 'natchalur low fat peanuts'. Seems they roast them in a way to reduce the fat.
Looking at the myfitnesspal database it looks like I could eat more of these and use them to hit both my protein and fat macros since they end up being higher protein.
Now this might be some kind of slippery slope for me. I am feeling lucky though as I went to the doctor the other day and they thought they had taken my weight wrong when my last weight was 257lbs and the new one was 183lbs. Nurse wanted diet advise. They halved my BP meds as well.
Since they are in the database somebody has eaten them. Can anyone tell me if they taste good? Could well be that I only like the nuts for the fat though. Might still risk buying 24 packets.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You might like PB2, which is powdered peanut butter. It isn’t exactly like peanut butter, even if it’s rehydrated, since it’s missing a lot of fat. But it does well in things like sauces and smoothies.
  • neillc57
    neillc57 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    You might like PB2, which is powdered peanut butter. It isn’t exactly like peanut butter, even if it’s rehydrated, since it’s missing a lot of fat. But it does well in things like sauces and smoothies.

I think I have seen this in the stores. I didn't give it another thought as I don't eat peanut butter. I do like it mind you just not as much as peanuts. I should get some and try it.
    Thanks for that.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I love peanuts! However, it's one of those foods that's hard to stop eating once you start. I'd like to try these and see how they compare. I've tried the PB2 and I like the chocolate one better than the regular.

ETA: Holy cow! I looked up those Natchalur Peanuts on Amazon and they're crazy expensive ($3.00 for 1 oz pkg)! Wondering if they're available cheaper elsewhere.
  • neillc57
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I love peanuts! However, it's one of those foods that's hard to stop eating once you start.

I have this problem. In fact before I started using MFP I couldn't really buy peanuts because whatever I purchased I would eat in a small number of days. Just constantly eating a handful.
    For some reason MFP helped me get that under control and also I feel that eating them every day (well a nut every day since I like other nuts) really helps me stick to the diet. I try not to eat them till late. Say 7 or 8pm and they are the last thing I eat for the day.
    ETA: Holy cow! I looked up those Natchalur Peanuts on Amazon and they're crazy expensive ($3.00 for 1 oz pkg)! Wondering if they're available cheaper elsewhere.

I thought it said $2 a package on Amazon ($48 for 24 packets). I see the shipping pushes it up to $2.31.
    I am cheap so I like to buy a big container of peanuts from costco. This is why I wanted to see if anyone had tried them before I spend my cash!
    Thanks.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I love peanuts! However, it's one of those foods that's hard to stop eating once you start. I'd like to try these and see how they compare. I've tried the PB2 and I like the chocolate one better than the regular.

I like chocolate PB2 better as well. I put it in Greek yogurt every morning with some chocolate protein powder.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Try roasting chickpeas. They are way better with a little oil though.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/81548/roasted-chickpeas/
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Do you just use the canned garbanzos (drained well)? I've bought the roasted chickpeas in a package before but have never tried doing it myself.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    neillc57 wrote: »

I thought it said $2 a package on Amazon ($48 for 24 packets). I see the shipping pushes it up to $2.31.
    I am cheap so I like to buy a big container of peanuts from costco. This is why I wanted to see if anyone had tried them before I spend my cash!
    Thanks.

Well, my math was off but that still seems like a lot for a 1 oz package of nuts. However, now that I think about it lots of nuts at the quickie mart are $1.99 per pack, so probably not so pricey in comparison. I'm also cheap and I usually get the Costco peanuts or two BOGO cans of nuts when they're on sale at the local store.

I think they might sell them at Whole Foods, so I'm going to check with the natural grocery that's closer to me to see if they carry them. Sure would like to try a pack before I spend $50+ on a whole case.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

Do you just use the canned garbanzos (drained well)? I've bought the roasted chickpeas in a package before but have never tried doing it myself.

I linked a recipe that uses the canned beans. I'm a food snob so I like to prepare my chickpeas from dry. It takes an extra day of soaking and cooking, but I like them that way. ...bit of a chickpea snob....
  • neillc57
    Options

If you have any India grocery stores near you (we have a lot here in the pacific northwest) you can just buy them in bags. Mine is labelled 'Chana Dalia'. I like these but I should look for some with added flavor. Nowhere near as good as peanuts (for me anyway).