Contemplating a sprint triathlon

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've set a goal this summer to walk a 1/2 marathon. It's scheduled for the end of September. As I'm getting closer I realize to keep myself on track that I need to set another goal, something big to work towards beyond just my weight loss. I'm intrigued by the idea of a sprint triathlon. I'm wondering a few things. Have others of you trained for this? What did you do to get ready? I'm currently down 50 lbs, but have another 90 to go to get to my ultimate goal weight. Conservatively, I think I can be down another 50 by this time next year. At (probably) still 40 lbs or so overweight is this a doable feat? Thanks in advance for your advice! I've been reading the forum boards daily for awhile and have seen some good advice, but this is my first ever post.

Replies

• allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I must warn you ... triathlons are addicting. I have competed in several from sprint to olympic distance. It does take a good bit of training, but nothing that I don't think you could do.

You should go to beginnertriathlete.com. You must register, but to start it is free. They have training programs suited for the time you have and the event you choose.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a great resource! Thank you :)
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've completed quite a few of these myself. Love them ... I'm concentrating in other areas now, but training for the tri is all consuming. I recommend two books to help you get ready ...

1) Triathlon 101 - this book explains all the different things to expect and has quite a few training routines that helped me.

2) Slow Fat Triathlete: Live Your Athletic Dreams in the Body You Have Now by Jayne Williams- This book helped me feel like I could do it, it inspired me, and it is funny too. Jayne Williams shares her experiences of what it was like to start moving and training, she battles weight as well. Some of the chapters were so funny that I found myself reading them out lout to anyone who would listen. Interesting thing is a lot of things she experienced would occur to me as I was moving through each of the events.

Go for it! You'll never regret it.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Love the sound of those books-I just added them to my library hold list. Thanks for the encouragement!