Weight gain after exercise

Options
Can someone explain to me why after an intense work out you weigh more for about 2 days? I am doing a bootcamp a very intense workout and when I weighed myself this morning I was 2lbs up when I had just lost 9lbs last week on the first week of my healthy eating plan.

Replies

• RangeBoss
    RangeBoss Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting started. I’m not an expert. But I’m happy to share what I’ve learned.

This is a journey with lots of ups and downs and many variables. Losing the 9 was great. However, you might have been a little dehydrated. Therefore, when you weighed yourself later you may have been more hydrated. Thus up 2.

But in the aggregate, you are down 7. And that’s my point. Focus on the long term trend. Don’t let the near term ups and downs discourage you. It can drive you crazy.

Stay strong and keep working at it. I’m sure by the time you are 30 Days in you will see your trend line of results. That’s going to feel very good.
  • trish2016
    trish2016 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes I understand my first week was gluten free and dairy free 70% of the time with 1700 kals per day which I am comfortable with so prob a shock to the body as I was eating so much before due to having thyroid issues which leave me hungry all the time. Hopefully Monday will show I have lost even 2-3lbs
  • trish2016
    Options
    Going to start measuring myself this week, at weigh in Sat I lost 3lbs so that sounds more realistic then a huge amount the first week. Thanks all
  • trish2016
    Options
    Thanks all this is a 2 year plan to get to my goal weight, I did the bootcamp challenge class last night it nearly killed me it was so intense I was pushing myself but it was non stop plus I was very tired as with the graves disorder you can be extremely tired all the time but I am just going to push myself each week.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Your scale number will fluctuate with water weight/inflammation/glycogen stores/salt/bowel movements. I regularly see a 5 lb jump up after a day of heavy lifting and salty food. I suggest getting an app that shows weight trends- I like Happy Scale, Libra, and there are more. You can still weigh in every day but it gives you a better perspective on change over time. Also, take pictures and measure. Pictures are important because you may not see much change in the regular tape measure spots. My waist measurement never changes much, but in a picture I can see a dramatic change from a few years ago in how my midsection looks. Overall, be patient!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    you retain water to aid in repair of muscle...this means your body is functioning as it should.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Measuring yourself is great. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat; and especially with intense workouts, you’re burning fat and building muscle. I think before & after pics are important too.. especially when those muscles really start defining!

um - no. she is not putting on 2 lbs of muscle overnight from bootcamp. as others said, it is water weight.

That would be a bootcamp I would sign up for if I could gain 2lbs of muscle like that! :smile:

Yeah, if I could gain 2 Lbs of muscle in a week, sign me up...I'll look like a competition body builder in a matter of weeks...
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time after lifting.

Lift away my dear and look at the scale as "some info" not "all the info"
    ;)

• Fataf99
    Fataf99 Posts: 112 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I get this jump after lifting, learned to ignore it. If you are in a defilict it is not fat and helping build muscle. Hopefully some noob gains.

Which in turn will hopefully mean I reach how I want to look before reaching goal weight.

Amount of fat needed to burn remains the same.

Annoying in the head yes.
  • nkovacs53804
    nkovacs53804 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    trish2016 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why after an intense work out you weigh more for about 2 days? I am doing a bootcamp a very intense workout and when I weighed myself this morning I was 2lbs up when I had just lost 9lbs last week on the first week of my healthy eating plan.

• nkovacs53804
    nkovacs53804 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fataf99 wrote: »
    I get this jump after lifting, learned to ignore it. If you are in a defilict it is not fat and helping build muscle. Hopefully some noob gains.

Which in turn will hopefully mean I reach how I want to look before reaching goal weight.

Take that scale and throw it away, or at least take the batteries out. Weight is a poor measure of fitness, especially when beginning. You will gain muscle, especially if you’ve not exercised in awhile.
    Measure your success by your clothes and how you feel.

• Fataf99
    Fataf99 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Take that scale and throw it away, or at least take the batteries out. Weight is a poor measure of fitness, especially when beginning. You will gain muscle, especially if you’ve not exercised in awhile.

Na it doesn't really bother me I'm going to gain max a few pounds of muscle in 5 months max.
    On a cut.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

she is not gaining muscle at a rate that would out pace fat loss.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    trish2016 wrote: »
    Going to start measuring myself this week, at weigh in Sat I lost 3lbs so that sounds more realistic then a huge amount the first week. Thanks all

You're getting some good advice here. My weight fluctuations with exercise, high sodium, and TOM. At most I've had as much as a 10lb change overnight. The fluctuations are frustrating, until you learn to just watch them with amusement. Trending apps are a blessing.

I quoted this post to say that even 3lbs/week is not realistic long-term. It may be fine for a while (assuming over 300lbs), but that kind of ongoing weight loss if you have less to lose, indicates not eating enough. It can be a fine balance between getting enough to fuel your workouts and the rest of life, and losing that weight. Higher losses are common in the first couple weeks, but it should start to settle after a while. Don't be disappointed with that. Keep moving toward the goal, It's a long game.