Workout intensity-not improving

Options
A few years ago when I started really lifting heavily for the first time the gains and physical changes happened so fast it was encouraging. Now I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and lift (admittedly not as intensely as before) and see very little change and feel I am actually losing muscle because I don’t force 300g of protein down daily etc. I want to stay lean but I’d like to add a little muscle preferably with gaining as little fat as possible. Any suggestions?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Some more information might be handy - your stats, what you are currently doing calorie wise (deficit, surplus, maintaining, no idea) etc...

Are you following a progressive lifting program, or do you just go and do your own thing?
  • jtaylor5546
    jtaylor5546 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Right now I’m eating to maintain. I’m probably not getting the protein I need as it’s only like 100-120g per day and I weigh 170. I feel like I’m answering my own question...gaining muscle isn’t difficult conceptually. Eat plenty of protein and be at a caloric surplus and lift heavy. I think I got to the point I felt like I looked good enough and subconsciously relaxed some on the lifting (not going to failure) and cut back on the protein. I think my concern is wanting my cake and eat it too. I like the leanness I have now but want to add some muscle.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Right now I’m eating to maintain. I’m probably not getting the protein I need as it’s only like 100-120g per day and I weigh 170. I feel like I’m answering my own question...gaining muscle isn’t difficult conceptually. Eat plenty of protein and be at a caloric surplus and lift heavy. I think I got to the point I felt like I looked good enough and subconsciously relaxed some on the lifting (not going to failure) and cut back on the protein. I think my concern is wanting my cake and eat it too. I like the leanness I have now but want to add some muscle.

Eat at a surplus - keeping it on the lower side will minimise fat gain - and find a progressive lifting program to follow. You don't have to go to failure all the time!