Butternut Squash

Options
piggymumma
piggymumma Posts: 8 Member
Need some help deciding what to do with a butternut squash!

Foolproof, vegetarian ideas/recipes please!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Roast it.
    Eat roasted pieces (in hot meals or salads), or turn roasted pieces in to soup (the roasting adds extra flavour)
    Use it in pancakes
    Use it in "bread", aka cake/muffins (just like pumpkin)
    Put it in curries
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Curried Butternut squash soup is one of my favorites. Loaded with potassium, lowcal. Delish. You can Google recipes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I’ve made this a few times and I find it highly satisfying.

https://pin.it/7uyl7pj5pky3xk

If you have a recipe that calls for sweet potato or pumpkin you can exchange the butternut squash.
  • papipower01
    papipower01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Roast it! Delicious. You can use rosemary and thyme. Or roast it in fall/ winter - roast it (cubed) for 45 min and add whole cranbberries and cont roasting until berries are soft. Can drizzle with a little honey and cinnamon or with a little feta.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Make a soup - take a typical vegan base and add butternut squash (either raw or roasted--different flavour profile in your soup. Personally, I like to use my immersion blender and puree for a thicker soup.

Make a risotto - use a base risotto recipe (of course, no butter if vegetarian). At the end stir in roasted butternut squash chunks for texture. I'll often puree some and add as part of the stock to add more colour.

Braise in a garlic stock - we had braised pumpkin many times when we were in Yangshuo (more rural, yet touristy, area of China). Can do the same with butternut squash. Great with other Chinese dishes...

You can add roasted squash to salads, make a quinoa pilaf, pastas.....
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking this page! All of my usual ideas are already listed, but am seeing some I hadn't thought of before (risotto, quinoa pilaf and the one with the cranberries and feta). Yum!
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
  • lessofme12317
    lessofme12317 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that came to visit recently that is vegan. I made butternut squash soup. I used coconut oil to saute the onions. I use two onions. Then I add the peeled chunked squash. I let it steam in the large pot with the onions. When the squash is soft, I added vegetable broth. Add a little salt and pepper to taste. Use an immersion blender. My friend loved it!

He had a birthday while he was here and I made brownies. Take a can of black beans and blend until smooth. Mix the beans in a bowl with a brownie mix. Bake as directed.

I am not vegan so it was a challenge for me.it was a great visit.

• thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I bought some butternut squash "noodles" at the market today, microwaved it for 2 minutes and added marinara sauce and topped with shaved parmesan. It was surprisingly good. Tomorrow night I may try it with some pesto.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I often get the Old El Paso Chicken Enchilada dinner kit and use chopped butternut squash with some chopped red onion in place of chicken in the recipe. (I'm not vegetarian but do end up making a lot of vegetarian appropriate meals).
    The sweetness in the squash makes for a good contrast of flavors if you like that. Also the orange color looks really pretty cooking in the skillet with the purple tone of the onions. Maybe just me, but pretty food seems to add to satiety. Also, makes for a really simple meal.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Pretty much anything you can do with pumpkin is also good with butternut squash.
    You might be interested in the Deceptively Simple cookbook, it hasl lots of good ways to substitute or sneak veggies into various foods, and some really interesting squash ideas. Although most of the recipes aren't as deceptive as she thinks, some of tbem are pretty tasty.

Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food https://www.amazon.com/dp/006176793X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_PDpyAbXBWXFCR
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I literally just roast it in the oven and add butter, salt, and pepper like a baked potato!
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I love to roast it cubed. Then I use the leftovers to make this:

Black Bean Butternut Squash Chili

I simplify her recipe some, but that's basically the one I use.
  • lkell1391
    lkell1391 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like roasting it with a pinch of salt and cinnamon and when its done top it off with a tiny drizzle of honey. Its simple but tastes great !
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Roast it, puree it and add it to risotto
  • seelysarah
    seelysarah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pioneer Woman has a tex mex butternut squash soup recipe that is so delicious. All veggies and seasonings! No cream or milk. I use veggie stock instead of chicken stock.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/tex-mex-butternut-squash-soup-4540489
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    seelysarah wrote: »
    Pioneer Woman has a tex mex butternut squash soup recipe that is so delicious. All veggies and seasonings! No cream or milk. I use veggie stock instead of chicken stock.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/tex-mex-butternut-squash-soup-4540489

looks good but isn't crema the same as cream?
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I chop mine up and throw it in the air fryer. "french fries"
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I cube it and add it to veg chile, particularly green chile dishes.
    I love it as soup with a stir of yogurt on top.Great when hungry but recovering from tummy issues.
    It goes well in black bean enchiladas, there something about that hot and slightly sweet. mmm
    Ive cut it into sticks and added it late in a stir fry so it doesnt cream it up. Great in sweet n sour dishes.
    Like people said, roasted is a classic. You can toss it in savory or sweet seasonings too.
    I have a weakness for squash of all sorts.