Kidney stones

Options
SCRN2019
SCRN2019 Posts: 26 Member
Hey everyone, I am a person who gets kidney stones a lot and it never fails that once I get Back on track and working out... they make an appearance! I take meds to prevent them from occurring and I go get scans every 6 months! So I am working with my doc! However, I am wondering if anyone out there has the same problem?! If so, how much water do you drink to prevent them from occurring?

They are pesky little things that cause so much pain and crazy medical bills. So, if anyone has any other pointers let me know!! Also feel free to add me!

Replies

• kevinparker66
    kevinparker66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’ve had Kidney Stones before feel your pain, never been in agony so much. I’ve been lucky and had mine removed, and so far never had them again. All I do is make sure I drink plenty of water every day. Try to keep away from high protein foods and Coffee/Tea
  • charlouiselb
    charlouiselb Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I get kidney stones as well. They are usually just small enough to pass without surgery, but big enough to bring me to my knees. I’ve had mine analyzed. They are the made up of calcium & oxalate. I am supposed to cut dairy, coffee, dark chocolate, leafy greens, and nuts from my diet. But, since I rely on oxalate foods quite a bit, I’ve found that if I can keep calcium separate from oxalate (for the most part).

• brendajean316
    brendajean316 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, I find when I tried to eat "healthy" according to all the diets, it gave me kidney stones and I've been battling them since. It can be diet controlled if you have them tested and know what they are made of - mine are Calcuim Oxalate so No Kale, Spinach, chocolate, potatoes, beans, beets, nuts, etc. But you are supposed to drink a lot of water as well. I'm looking at 20 glasses of 8oz a day.
  • Hyacinth_Hippo
    Hyacinth_Hippo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I read this article in the New York times about a study that found that people who ride roller coasters seem to pass kidney stones easier. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/04/science/roller-coaster-kidney-stones.html so maybe try hitting up an amusement park or a really bumpy road?
  • hughesma102
    hughesma102 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! Had a stone that damages one of my kidneys 4 years ago. Recovery was just as bad as the stone itself. I cannot take any supplements or protein shakes/powders. A big no way for me.
    I just try to keep my diet simple fresh fruits, veggies and minimal lean meat. No tea or soda. Drink mostly was with some coffee. (Can't give up my coffee
  • Skworon
    Skworon Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Take this with a grain of salt but my husband had kidney stones constantly. His doctor's nurse told him to drink country time sugar free lemonade to help with the kidney stones. He has not had one since. That was about 4 years ago.
  • Skworon
    Skworon Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sorry not county time it is crystal lite
  • Josyurtos23
    Josyurtos23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Skworon wrote: »
    Take this with a grain of salt but my husband had kidney stones constantly. His doctor's nurse told him to drink country time sugar free lemonade to help with the kidney stones. He has not had one since. That was about 4 years ago.

I have heard of that before. I just had mine removed and I’m waiting for the results.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My poor 15 yr old son gets them, bad! His urologist suggested making home made lemonade, the citric acid helps break them down and prevent them. He said the juice from roughly 5 lemons, water and sugar to cut the bitterness will help.

Does my son like it, no? Does he drink it, no! He prefers Sodas...he's 15.

Good Luck!