Protein Angel Food Cake

Options
kemoon0915
kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
edited January 2018 in Recipes
Hi everyone, I wanted to share this recipe that I recently adapted from a traditional angel food cake recipe. The recipe I based it on is one of Martha Stewart’s, and I’ve actually made it before and it’s very good. However, I wanted to make one with extra protein in it, so basically I replaced some the sugar with Splenda and added two scoops of vanilla protein powder (and took away a touch of the flour to account for the extra dry ingredient). I also cut the recipe in half because it makes quite a large cake and I didn’t need that much. It is a bit dry and is denser than traditional angel food, so I eat it with some yogurt or fruit with juice/syrup. It’s actually quite filling and satisfying, hope you enjoy!

8 servings
calories 100
Total Fat 0 g
Total Carbohydrate 15 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 10 g
Protein 10g

Original recipe - https://www.marthastewart.com/966084/classic-angel-food-cake

• 2 scoop, Vanilla Protein Powder
• 7 large egg white (33 g), Egg Whites (Raw)
• 7 tbsp(s), All Purpose Flour ( half a cup
minus a tablespoon)
• 0.25 cup(s), Splenda - Tbsp
• 0.33 cup(s), Sugar
• 0.25 tsp(s), Salt
• 0.50 tbsp(s), Warm Water
• 0.75 tsp, Leavening agents, cream of tartar

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. With a fine sieve, sift together flour, splenda and protein power four times.
2. 5. In the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed, beat together egg whites and water until foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Increase speed to medium-high and sprinkle in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until stiff but not dry.
3. 6. Transfer to a large bowl. In six additions, sift dry ingredients over meringue, folding in quickly but gently.
4. 7. Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan with removable bottom. Smooth top with an offset spatula. Run a knife through batter to release air bubbles. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
5. 8. Invert pan on its legs or over the neck of a glass bottle and let cool completely, about 1 hour. Carefully run a long offset spatula or knife around the inner and outer perimeter of the pan to release cake. Place on a plate, bottom side up; cover with plastic wrap until ready to use.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! I must try this.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Interesting. What are the macros for 100 grams?
  • kemoon0915
    Options
    58% carb, 38% protein, 4% fat
    calories 100
    Total Fat 0 g
    Total Carbohydrate 15 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sugars 10 g
    Protein 10g
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Ya first 2 i made from volume eaters recipe (basically the same but with no flour, salt or water lol)
    I deleted all the newer versions off my phone when it ran out of space, But they have been topped with oats and cinnamon recently. Mmmm

bm5wrf02ocdl.jpg
    p1hbldlp98w6.png
  • kemoon0915
    Options
    Looks good! I've made it before too, but much prefer the texture with flour