Can medicine make you gain weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• 5Months2fit
    5Months2fit Posts: 36 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I gained 40 pounds on lexapro (ssri) despite changing my diet for the better and cutting out junk foods (used to eat a large bag of Cheetos and raisenettes every day for instance...).

I believe Lexapro cured my brain of being suicidal. I went off it completely 2 weeks ago because the weight gain caused me to retreat into myself because I was so ashamed.

I lost 20 of the 40 pounds while still on Lexapro so it’s not necessary to quit, but I want to lose the weight ASAP as I will be applying for jobs and want to look as good as possible.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Medicines can cause water weight gain regardless of what you eat.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Medicine itself cannot cause you to gain weight. Some will make you gain temporary water weight, some may make you feel hungrier than normal causing you to eat more and some can make you feel more tired causing you to move less... those factors would contribute to weight gain.

and some can change your metabolism. there are many out there that can do that. not to mention some can affect how your body metabolizes sugar/carbs and other things. do some research and see that some meds can cause all kinds of issues that can cause weight gain. some can cause weight loss without a change in diet. like those for ADD/ADHD while some of those meds can cause your appetite to be close to non existent,thats not always the case.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Medicine itself cannot cause you to gain weight. Some will make you gain temporary water weight, some may make you feel hungrier than normal causing you to eat more and some can make you feel more tired causing you to move less... those factors would contribute to weight gain.

Some medicines absolutely can. Insulin is a prime example of one that the actual medication itself causes weight gain as you don't burn fat with high serum insulin levels. Long term steroids are another and cause fat redistribution, and some forms of chemo can also cause weight gain. I'm assuming that OP is not talking about one of these types, but saying that medicine itself can't cause it isn't accurate either.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I believe Lexapro cured my brain of being suicidal. I went off it completely 2 weeks ago because the weight gain caused me to retreat into myself because I was so ashamed.

I lost 20 of the 40 pounds while still on Lexapro so it’s not necessary to quit, but I want to lose the weight ASAP as I will be applying for jobs and want to look as good as possible.

Please be careful. It won’t help you if you have a great interview and look fantastic, but commit suicide.......
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone I appreciate all the feedback you all have given! Such great advice and knowledge. I go to the doctors on Wednesday to discuss which medicine would work best for me. I seen some have the side effect of increased appetite and some have the side effect of weight gain that’s why I asked. Turns out it can be from increased appetite or slowed metabolism or water weight! My best bet is to discuss the worries with my doctor and refuse the ones that have the biggest reputation for weight gain.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »

Please be careful. It won’t help you if you have a great interview and look fantastic, but commit suicide.......

She said she’s still on lexapro I believe. She’s just working hard to get off the weight while on the pill. But I agree be careful!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options