EXTREME GYM FEAR

Options
2»

Replies

• jesse1952
    jesse1952 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you do go to a gym try and go at the same time every time. You'll see the same people and feel more comfortable as you see familiar faces.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I'm a shy person and not a group person or a joiner, and if you had asked me as recently as six months ago, I would have said I would never join a gym. Now I go two or three times a week and enjoy it. What made the difference in my case was working out at home, using free weights and YouTube videos, until I reached a point at which I needed the equipment at the gym to continue. By then I was in much better shape and sort of knew what I was doing, so I felt comfortable because I was too interested in my surroundings to focus on myself.

You absolutely do not have to ever set foot in a gym to get fit. But you may decide you want to. If you do want to, the best way to overcome social fear is to stop thinking about yourself. Remind yourself that those people you know that you might bump into have their own lives and interests and are just not that interested in thinking thoughts about you. The lady you know is more likely to be thinking, "Does she think my rear looks fat in these leggings?" than "Her rear looks fat in those leggings." Better yet, focus on what you are doing and you will be too busy to think about other people.
  • azkabanned
    azkabanned Posts: 79 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I feel you. I still don’t go to a gym but I found a nice neighbourhood yoga studio that’s small with a more comfortable vibe (candles, incense, nice relaxing decor), it’s been great because they have more relaxed classes and then some intense workout ones I’m working up to. Also bought an elliptical machine for the home. Baby steps.
  • dobbyak
    dobbyak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Most gyms Will Let you try it at least once for free. Perhaps give the gym a call, express your concerns and if they are a great gym they will encourage you to come and give a full tour. You can do that commitment free and see if it is for you or not.

As far as running into people you know...they once were just starting out too. No need to concern yourself with them.

I totally agree! A good gym is full of supportive people who understand what you are going through. For me it was a really scary experience at the beginning as in Germany changing rooms and showers are completely open and everyone sees you naked. But after the first time.. Yes, everyone saw me trying my best, everyone saw me naked - and nobody cared! Apart from the trainers who always check on you if everything is fine. And then slowly the fear went away. I'm now wexcited to go to the gym. I'm excited to see the faces I know. I'm excited to see new faces. We are all on the same boat, there's no need to worry.

Give it a try, call them and ask about a possibility to have a "trial run". Meet with one of the trainers, talk about your fears. They are there to help. Good luck!
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You can get therapy for social phobias, if your fear is getting in your way. Just google phobia therapy to see what is available. Generally only takes a short course.
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I started doing p90x workouts at home. then took some of what I learned and did the workouts at the gym but only went late (after 10p) so I wouldn't be embarrassed that I couldn't do much weight. ppl that go late are pretty chill and usually committed so they often can be good for advice etc..