Best Supplements For Gain

Hello Everyone! I was wanting to know your opinions on the best workout supplements for weight gaining. Or what you use, what it does, and when you use it.

My background story:
I am 18 years old and 5'1. I had a daughter Jan. 2017 and before I got pregnant I weighed 92-94lbs when pregnant I was 115lbs max and after I had my daughter I lost weight and am now 85lbs. My goal weight is to be 95lbs and once I hit that ill up my goal. I lift weights 4 times a week with my trainer (DB bench press, pull ups, front squats, inclined bench, etc..) I also work on my feet every day as a hostess. My nutritionist put me on a 2,200 calorie diet but I can't ever seem to hit that. Any tips on helping me get those calories in and upping my weight to reach my goals?

Replies

• craigjwallace
    craigjwallace Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, I would recommend Huel, if it is available in your area. Rather than being simply a protein supplement, it is a sensibly balanced (about 30%protein, 30% carb, 30% good fat) supplement. 2 scoops will give you about 280 calories. I use it to add to my regular meals, since I am currently aiming for 3000cals (yep!) a day and have real trouble hitting that. Regular rpotien-only supplements don;t do it for me, since they are not calorific enough.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Hello Everyone! I was wanting to know your opinions on the best workout supplements for weight gaining. Or what you use, what it does, and when you use it.

My background story:
    I am 18 years old and 5'1. I had a daughter Jan. 2017 and before I got pregnant I weighed 92-94lbs when pregnant I was 115lbs max and after I had my daughter I lost weight and am now 85lbs. My goal weight is to be 95lbs and once I hit that ill up my goal. I lift weights 4 times a week with my trainer (DB bench press, pull ups, front squats, inclined bench, etc..) I also work on my feet every day as a hostess. My nutritionist put me on a 2,200 calorie diet but I can't ever seem to hit that. Any tips on helping me get those calories in and upping my weight to reach my goals?

The easiest way is weight gainer shakes, but I am not a big fan of them because they have very little nutrition and it's expensive. Making a weight gainer shake yourself is best, just add in a scoop of whey, milk, banana, peanut butter, oats and spinach, that should give you a good amount of calories. Just make sure it doesn't make you go way over your maintenance calories, that will just guarantee you to get fat. Or make yourself a meal and simply add a cup of orange juice or chocolate milk with peanuts and a dried fruit on the side, that will give you extra calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Hello, I would recommend Huel, if it is available in your area. Rather than being simply a protein supplement, it is a sensibly balanced (about 30%protein, 30% carb, 30% good fat) supplement. 2 scoops will give you about 280 calories. I use it to add to my regular meals, since I am currently aiming for 3000cals (yep!) a day and have real trouble hitting that. Regular rpotien-only supplements don;t do it for me, since they are not calorific enough.

30/30/30 is only 90%. Even so, if you are only getting 10.5g of protein per scoop, its a really crappy shake.

Op, check out that link.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Gaining weight is about surplusing calories. I have all these people come up to me all the time at the gym asking about supplements and my answer is the same..............................consume more calories. If you're getting in enough protein, you STILL need a surplus of calories to gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This! ^^ Don't waste your money on marketing hype.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

30/30/30 is only 90%. Even so, if you are only getting 10.5g of protein per scoop, its a really crappy shake.

Op, check out that link.

Over 30g of protein per 100g is well balanced.
    It’s a full meal replacement not a protein shake

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    watts6151 wrote: »

Op, check out that link.

Its not 30g. He wrote 30% 3 times and 2 servings at 280 calories. So its 140 cal per scope × 30% ÷4 = 10.5g of protein per scope.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Gaining weight is about surplusing calories. I have all these people come up to me all the time at the gym asking about supplements and my answer is the same..............................consume more calories. If you're getting in enough protein, you STILL need a surplus of calories to gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

While you're correct and I do agree with you, but some people have trouble eating all of the calories needed to make their surplus. Depending on how much weight you want to gain, BMI, your age, gender, work out routine, type of job, etc...all help to depend on how many calories one would need to be in surplus, some more than others, I think most of us know that already, the meal shakes help me a lot because I can't eat all the food I'm supposed to for my total calories so some supplements do help.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    As long as people remember that supplement is that....a supplement. They alone cannot make you gain weight, a surplus of calories does.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »

Op, check out that link.

Its not 30g. He wrote 30% 3 times and 2 servings at 280 calories. So its 140 cal per scope × 30% ÷4 = 10.5g of protein per scope.

Apologies is isn’t over 30g
    Huel contains 29.5 of protein per 100g
    It’s over 30g per 125g serving
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    I think the normal advice here is to add in some high calorically dense foods such as peanut butter and nuts and add some olive oil to your food as well. If you don't mind eating ice cream then you can add this in as well. You don't need supplements you just need to add more calories. Most people who have trouble gaining weight have the same complaint about not being able to eat even the modest amount of calories they need, and 2200 is certainly not a lot. It might be a psychological issue as well as a physical one, but that something you'll have to figure out and then find ways to overcome this.

Best of luck to you.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I think the normal advice here is to add in some high calorically dense foods such as peanut butter and nuts and add some olive oil to your food as well. If you don't mind eating ice cream then you can add this in as well. You don't need supplements you just need to add more calories. Most people who have trouble gaining weight have the same complaint about not being able to eat even the modest amount of calories they need, and 2200 is certainly not a lot. It might be a psychological issue as well as a physical one, but that something you'll have to figure out and then find ways to overcome this.

Best of luck to you.

Agreed. I hazard I eat more the 95% here. Ice cream, peanut butter, pizza, doughnut/pasteries, & chocolates make it quite easy to make a surplus if you figure out how it fits into your caloric intake/macros. The more cals, the more easier it gets.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Best of luck to you.

Agreed. I hazard I eat more the 95% here. Ice cream, peanut butter, pizza, doughnut/pasteries, & chocolates make it quite easy to make a surplus if you figure out how it fits into your caloric intake/macros. The more cals, the more easier it gets.

I loved when I was on 3500 cals/day that made it so easy to eat a variety of healthful foods plus some fillers.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Peanut butter and a spoon.
  • Wheelhouse15

I'm looking up spoon in the database, any idea what the macros are?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member

Should be mostly carbs but high in iron and zinc. Definitely help you hit those micros.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member

Depends on the spoon! :D

Should be mostly carbs but high in iron and zinc. Definitely help you hit those micros.

Good call.
  • charlieaulert
    charlieaulert Posts: 127 Member
    Mutant Mass works.