Day 1 again

Good Morning,

Today is day 1 again. I was unsure where to start, friends are doing Keto and whole 30. I try to stay dairy free (most dairy makes me feel terrible) and I eat meat but not in large quantities. I think my first weeks goals is to be meticulous about logging all food intake and analyze for ways to improve and be more efficient with my diet. I just joined Hello Fresh to help with preparing meals at home. Would appreciate feedback ideas and a community to check in with.

Replies

• Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    I don't worry too much about whether calories come from carbs protein or fat. As long as I'm within my calorie limit I'm loosing weight. I think logging what you eat now is a good idea. Good luck.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,111 Member
    Don't worry about what your friends are doing what is suitable and sustainable for them may not be for you.

There's no need for drastic changes, start by just logging exactly what you normally eat to see where you are eating too many calories, then use that information to make small changes to reduce your intake, for many people this can be things like:
    • Drinking your calories - Normal sodas, sugary/creamy hot drinks can be switched to water, diet sodas, sweetner, black coffee, low fat cream/milk, herbal/fruit teas.
    • Eating bigger portions than suggested servings - it's very easy to underestimate intake with things like cereal, pasta, rice, potatoes/potato products, nuts which are all rather calorie dense. Weighing out portions regularly can help you become accustomed to normal portion sizes and reduce your intake.
    • Not paying attention to little additions that add up - condiments and oil in cooking quickly add up to 100's of additional calories (this was one of the biggest small changes I made) you can get lower calories versions of many products and use alternative cooking methods. I really like to use 1 cal spray when pan frying or roasting now and it saves me around 200 cals per day on what I was eating like before.

Once you get accustomed to your calorie goal you can then start focusing on macros (Carb/Protein/Fat split) to find a balance that keeps you feeling full and gets you the nutrition your body needs. There is no right or wrong way as long as you get the recommended minimums for Protein & Fat. Some people prefer high protein, moderate fat, moderate carb, some do better on Keto/low carb, etc but it's all an individual preference.