Sunday Roast

Options
Ok so it's Sunday roast day & as my mil cooks for lots of people it's impossible to wade in & start weighing stuff & dictating what & how much to put on my plate!
I need some help to estimate the calories please ....
It will be Roast chicken, both boiled & roast potatoes, veg (mostly greens) & instant gravy ...
the most I can do is ask for a moderate portion :)
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• shannonprovenzano2812
    Options
    I know it may seem awkward but they should support your weight loss efforts. Get a little portable food scale and weigh everything. Save calories for that meal and enjoy yourself. Your life can’t stop because you’re eating healthy, so you have to find a plan that works with YOUR life!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Is this a traditional thing to have someone plate your food for you on Sundays? I am not sure I could really handle someone else putting food on my own plate.

That said, I am a protein eater so my plate would have plenty and supplement with sides of potatoes and if the veggies are to my liking plenty of those. But I am pretty picky on my vegs, the instant gravy is an immediate sodium killer for me. lol

Do the best you can on estimating and call it a day. Using the hand/palm serving sizing mentioned above might be useful.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Dish up your own plate or only eat half of what she serves you.

Or stay home and eat what you want.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Ok so it's Sunday roast day & as my mil cooks for lots of people it's impossible to wade in & start weighing stuff & dictating what & how much to put on my plate!
    I need some help to estimate the calories please ....
    It will be Roast chicken, both boiled & roast potatoes, veg (mostly greens) & instant gravy ...
    the most I can do is ask for a moderate portion :)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks in advance!

Eat lighter at your other meals today.
    Figure it is a maintenance day and don't worry about it. The biggest issue is portion size. Maybe go light on or skip the potatoes and gravy.
    Eat only what you feel comfortable with and leave the rest. Say you weren't that hungry if asked about it.
    If it is weekly then plan for it. Have a conversation with your mil. Get involved in the cooking and plating of food. Ask for recipes. Insist on plating your own. Eat a bit lighter the rest of the week to bank some calories.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Clean your plate - when you serve yourself. The rule does not apply when someone else does it. I too was late to figure this out :#

i rarely finish my plate ..... i eat until ive had sufficient. then i push it away.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Luckily, as calorie bombs go, the roast needn't be a massive one. Choose what to eat off the plate she gives you. Personally I set everything up in the pots and pans with spoons and let people serve themselves, but if that's how she do after cooking for you I'd let her at it and choose off my my own plate what I was going to to eat.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    why is it so odd that the person cooking would dish up her meal?

when I cook, no matter who it is for I dish up the meal, I do ask them what they want and usually show them what's going on and say is that enough/how much but its normal for the cooker to plate up ??

im 31 and have never been to a family dinner and dished up my own meal.
    and frankly if I was cooking and everyone came in and started to dish up their own Id tell them to F**k off out the kitchen :D

OP as said above you dont have to eat everything you are given, and I am sure from logging your own food you can have a guestimate of what you do actually eat.

I LOVE a good Sunday roast so when Im making one I tend not to eat during the day knowing I can have a massive dinner and enjoy it without worrying that its gonna wreck my count for the day.

#SundaydinnerisnotjustforSundays

I agree, it's not odd at all having the person who's cooking dish up the meal.
    We live with mil & Sunday's are hers in the kitchen so it wouldn't be any help to her for me to 'get in the way' especially as she usually cooks for at least 10 people!
    The rest of the week is fine as we look after ourselves ...
    After reading all the comments I think I'll just ask for a moderate serving, count it the best I can & enjoy it as always! If it shows on the scales (Monday) then I'll rethink.
    Thanks to all, I appreciate your thoughts :)

Since you reside, with her & if you're able to stomach leftovers, I'd take a normal portion; that she serves! Then consume half & Glad wrap the remaining half, to've as another meal; plausibly for the next day!

Doing this instead I believe shows an abundance of appreciation, for what you receive; without unnecessarily denying/wasting any of it!

Concerning her serving the food herself, I believe that she does this to ration it; to ensure that all 10 people receive a fair amount!
  • trawillcy2018
    trawillcy2018 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has anything to do with rationing it or making sure everyone gets a fair amount, its just normal to cook and dish up dinner.

I understand some people put all food out on the table for people to take what they want or put serving spoons in the pots/pans/dishes etc but this is not a "usual" thing. Well not in the UK anyway.

when you go out for a meal do you go in the kitchen and dish up yourself too? because god forbid somebody dish up your meal :D

Haha I love your humour! :')
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    why is it so odd that the person cooking would dish up her meal?

when I cook, no matter who it is for I dish up the meal, I do ask them what they want and usually show them what's going on and say is that enough/how much but its normal for the cooker to plate up ??

im 31 and have never been to a family dinner and dished up my own meal.
    and frankly if I was cooking and everyone came in and started to dish up their own Id tell them to F**k off out the kitchen :D

OP as said above you dont have to eat everything you are given, and I am sure from logging your own food you can have a guestimate of what you do actually eat.

I LOVE a good Sunday roast so when Im making one I tend not to eat during the day knowing I can have a massive dinner and enjoy it without worrying that its gonna wreck my count for the day.

#SundaydinnerisnotjustforSundays

Yeah, I didn't think it was weird either as this is how we do it every day. I dish out everything. If my husband is watching his diet, I will measure his the way I do mine, or let him do it himself.

When I was growing up, my mom put everything on the table and everyone served themselves. But my gosh that could dirty up so many dishes :).