SUCCESS STORIES:LOW CARB ATKINS OR SOUTH BEACH!

Options
22dream
22dream Posts: 60 Member
IF YOU HAVE HAD SUCCESS WITH LOW CARB , ATKINS, OR SOUTH BEACH PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORY OR AND PICTURES NEVER REALIZED HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE ON MFP LOOKING FOR THAT PUSH THATS NOT JUST ABOUT CALORIES!!!!! PLEASE SHARE AND HELP GIVE SOMEONE THAT PUSH!!

Replies

• 22dream
    22dream Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    this sucks no succeess stories? kind of a downer...
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    OK, I am diabetic, and low carb is what I should have been doing since I found out I was one, but I didn't. I had my physical 8 weeks ago, and I had my blood work done... and it was BAD, I mean really bad.... So today I got new "numbers" after being super strict for the last 8 weeks...... I hope you like this, and I hope someone gets inspired by it. This is a cut and paste from the forum I originally posted this on:

OK, so today marks exactly 2 months of low carbing and 2 months since my last set of blood work.... EVERYTHING was better except my overall cholesterol, which actually went up a tiny bit - which as I understand it, is normal when starting low carb..... And this was only 2 months, and not the standard 3 months for an A1C test....

Let's just say that I am THRILLLLLLLLLEEDDDD!

In just 60 days:

Lost 7 pounds..... was hoping for more, but 7 is OK

A1c went from 10.2 to 7.4

Triglycerides went from 390 to 210

Blood Sugar went from 290 to get this....... 128.

Blood Pressure went from 130 / 90 to 124 /74...... and I actually had not taken my BP medicine yet today.

So, if you are new, and not sure about this whole low carb "thing", and need a push, hopefully I just gave you a big SHOVE!!!

I love you all, who have put up with my whining so much early on about not losing weight..... It has not been an easy 2 months, but looking at those numbers, it has been an INCREDIBLE 2 months.

And, to top it all off, my doctor said that if I keep at this, she could see me being off all my meds by early next year.

Thanks to everybody who has helped me along the way.

Now I may go have some cheese!

I eat 30 or less carbs per day, with the goal of about 50 carbs per day when I hit my weight goal. I eat zero sugar, pasta, wheat, rice.....

Sorry for cut and paste, but I wasn't about to type it all out again.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Following low carb diet. Lost close to 8 pounds in July.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    IF YOU HAVE HAD SUCCESS WITH LOW CARB , ATKINS, OR SOUTH BEACH PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORY OR AND PICTURES NEVER REALIZED HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE ON MFP LOOKING FOR THAT PUSH THATS NOT JUST ABOUT CALORIES!!!!! PLEASE SHARE AND HELP GIVE SOMEONE THAT PUSH!!

It is just about calories...

When you say give someone that push, do you mean spread misinformation?
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

And yet, I eat WAY MORE calories on low carb and lose weight faster, and all my blood work is incredibly better, so NO, you have no clue if you think it is all about calories, no clue at all.... couldn't spell clue if I spotted you the CLU.
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am on a low carb diet and it is working well for me. I am not following program in particular. I try to limit my net carbs to 20-30 daily. I NEVER go over 50. I also do cardio 4 times a week for 30-40 minutes.
  • AJ_G
    Options

And yet, I eat WAY MORE calories on low carb and lose weight faster, and all my blood work is incredibly better, so NO, you have no clue if you think it is all about calories, no clue at all.... couldn't spell clue if I spotted you the CLU.

Please read this if you have the time, then come back and tell me why you're right an I'm wrong...

http://impruvism.com/why-calories-count/

Your blood work is better because you have lost weight, because you're eating at a calorie deficit. You may be losing weight faster on low carb due to glycogen depletion. When you go low carb, your muscle and liver glycogen does not get replenished due to carb intake. This lowers overall glycogen in the body. Each glycogen chain has three water molecules attached to it, so less glycogen results in less water which can give the illusion of fast weight loss. Also, being low carb, means your diet is high protein and high fat meaning it leaves you more satisfied, so many people on low carb tend to eat less by default.

Also, you are diabetic so obviously it might be a good idea to go low carb for other reasons. Being diabetic or pre-diabetic is the only time you should really follow the glycemic index as a guide, and curtail carb intake, but these are for other reasons than weight loss. Your body does not function the same as the average body. You need to worry about blood glucose spikes because of the way your body has trouble with insulin. Low carb diets can be good for diabetics because protein and fat increase glucagon (not to be confused with glycogen) which is the counter hormone to insulin. A high glucagon level due to high protein and fat can lower cholesterol because the ratio of insulin to glucagon determines about 85% of blood cholesterol levels, the other 15% coming from dietary cholesterol.

Also,
    When you take away a signifiant portion of someone’s diet or place limits on when they can eat, they can’t help but eat less (at least for a while). If someone’s used to getting 50% of their calories from carbs — and they cut that to less than 10% — they’re going to eat less until they get used to their new diet.
  • aderenski
    aderenski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did South Beach several years ago and lost 20 lbs in around a month, then promptly gained it back over the next 6 months. I was always drained and my wife says I was irritable. If you make the switch to low carb, it really has to be a lifestyle thing. The principals are Ok, but it will be really tough if you are exercising (South Beach Diet even says that if you are in an exercise program that you need carbs, but doesn't really elaborate). Some of the principals are the same in the Men's Health Abs Diet, but I like it much better.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    I did South Beach several years ago and lost 20 lbs in around a month, then promptly gained it back over the next 6 months. I was always drained and my wife says I was irritable. If you make the switch to low carb, it really has to be a lifestyle thing. The principals are Ok, but it will be really tough if you are exercising (South Beach Diet even says that if you are in an exercise program that you need carbs, but doesn't really elaborate). Some of the principals are the same in the Men's Health Abs Diet, but I like it much better.

The problem with ketogenic diets or very low carb diets is that if you do any type of strength training or a significant amount of exercise, then unless you do periodic carb refeeds where you eat a massive amount of carbs on a single day, your body cannot replenish liver glycogen and muscle glycogen and your fitness oriented goals will not be met. Also when your body switches from carbs to ketones from fat as the main fuel for energy, one often becomes irritable, weak, tired, and overall can feel terrible. This does pass, but the lack of stored glycogen for muscle energy will remain a problem.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    South Beach is not a low carb diet - it's a *healthy* carb diet. Anyone who has actually read the book should know this. I follow it myself and eat plenty of whole grains, fruits, etc. that have high carb counts.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    OK, I am diabetic, and low carb is what I should have been doing since I found out I was one, but I didn't. I had my physical 8 weeks ago, and I had my blood work done... and it was BAD, I mean really bad.... So today I got new "numbers" after being super strict for the last 8 weeks...... I hope you like this, and I hope someone gets inspired by it. This is a cut and paste from the forum I originally posted this on:

Repost when you've been super strict for 8 months or again in 8 years.

Living by a super strict diet isn't a long term solution for the majority of people. My wife tried a low carb thing and by the end of the week she would be cranky and moody and want to eat 2 dozen donuts for breakfast.

While low carb is useful for those who are diabetics, such as yourself, just throwing that out there for general purposes as a "weight loss plan" isn't exactly necessary for the general public.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I love low carb! :D
    Success as listed below. My boyfriend has lost about 60 pounds on low carb, and we are both still going.
    And I just feel healthy, happy and less hungry.

I agree, weight loss=calorie deficiency.

But I also think you can achieve weight loss through a number of different meal plans.
    It's not a one size fits all. Find a meal plan you enjoy within the limits, and stick with it. If it's low carb, high fat, low fat, high carb, high protein, whatever, whatever, whatever.
    It's all sustainable in my opinion, and you can always switch if your unhappy or feel unhealthy, or adjust your macros as needed.
    That's the beauty of it, you have a choice.

I chose low carb since I really feel I can stick with all the delicious food choices I have.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've lost 51 pounds following keto for the last 10 months. Love the food, and I find it wonderfully sustainable.

Most of the low carbers stick to those forums, and avoid the main message boards. In general, the main message boards are not supportive toward this lifestyle. You may not get a lot of responses for that reason.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    South Beach is not a low carb diet - it's a *healthy* carb diet. Anyone who has actually read the book should know this. I follow it myself and eat plenty of whole grain foods that have high carb counts.

The south beach diet is based on the glycemic index which is was developed for diabetics and people's who's bodies had trouble with insulin production. The way foods were tested for the glycemic index is people were fed only one food like let's say white rice, and they were fed a meal of only white rice in a fasted state, so their stomach was completely empty, and they watched how that food affected blood glucose levels. The problem with this is almost nobody eats a meal consisting of one single food in a fasted state. When high glycemic index foods are eaten in a meal with protein and fat, especially protein, it has been found that the glycemic index is basically washed out by the complete meal. The high thermic effect of the protein prevents spikes in blood glucose, and prevents resulting insulin spikes. Unless you are diabetic or have a medical reason for not eating high glycemic index foods, then it is unnecessary to avoid them. Even if you were to eat high glycemic index foods by themselves in a fasted state, it is inconsequential to your weight loss if you are eating at a caloric deficit. Moral of the story is that calorie intake and macronutrient intake are vastly vastly more important than the type of foods or the type of carbs you're eating.
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've been following a reduced carb diet. Eating around 100 then when i get to maintenance I'll eat around 150. I think that lower than 50 works for some during the weightloss phase but not so much for maintenance. Everyone does their own thing but I find that I am steadily losing at around 100. I also have had GB WLS so carbs are just bad for me in general. At 100 I find that i can work in rice and pasta into my diet, but still avoid breads and feel very satisfied and still eating at a deficit. You just gotta find what works for you.
  • pepperpat64
    Options
    It also matters what kind of carbs a person was eating before going on a "low-carb" diet. If the carb-laden foods consisted of snack chips, white pasta/potatoes/rice, refined white breads, cookies, full-sugar sodas, beer, etc., then yes, cutting those things out makes a tremendous weight difference in a short time. That was my situation the first time I did Phase 1, and I lost 13 pounds and substantial inches in two weeks. It's also why, after going onto Phase 2 and reintroducing healthy carbs to the diet, the weight loss slows dramatically. There's a reason Dr. Agatston (the creator of SBD) advices against staying on Phase 1 more than a couple weeks. Extreme carb deprivation is unhealthy over the long term, assuming a person can even stick to it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    High fives go to...

Amyrebeccah
    AJ_G
    Tribehokie
    Cmcollins001
  • pepperpat64
    Options
    South Beach is not a low carb diet - it's a *healthy* carb diet. Anyone who has actually read the book should know this. I follow it myself and eat plenty of whole grain foods that have high carb counts.

The south beach diet is based on the glycemic index which is was developed for diabetics and people's who's bodies had trouble with insulin production. The way foods were tested for the glycemic index is people were fed only one food like let's say white rice, and they were fed a meal of only white rice in a fasted state, so their stomach was completely empty, and they watched how that food affected blood glucose levels. The problem with this is almost nobody eats a meal consisting of one single food in a fasted state. When high glycemic index foods are eaten in a meal with protein and fat, especially protein, it has been found that the glycemic index is basically washed out by the complete meal. The high thermic effect of the protein prevents spikes in blood glucose, and prevents resulting insulin spikes. Unless you are diabetic or have a medical reason for not eating high glycemic index foods, then it is unnecessary to avoid them. Even if you were to eat high glycemic index foods by themselves in a fasted state, it is inconsequential to your weight loss if you are eating at a caloric deficit. Moral of the story is that calorie intake and macronutrient intake are vastly vastly more important than the type of foods or the type of carbs you're eating.

Um, yes, I know. That's all in the SBD book. LOL.
  • AJ_G
    Options
  • AJ_G
    Options

Um, yes, I know. That's all in the SBD book. LOL.

So then why are you continuing to say that the type of carbs matter???
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!