Morning exercise before eating?

Options
Is it true that doing aerobic or weightlifting first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is good for fat loss? I read a Wall Street Journal New Year's Resolution op-ed piece that (I thought) said just that--but I can't find it to verify. Hoping one of you all know? Thanks!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Is it true that doing aerobic or weightlifting first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is good for fat loss?

No. There is no meaningful physiological benefit, but some people find it more comfortable to do so.
  • librarian11111
    librarian11111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks Meandering.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in reading some of the actual science behind it: https://weightology.net/fasted-cardio-an-undeserved-good-reputation/
  • morsheadp
    morsheadp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There wss a trial on bbc where they used fasted exercise and the results showed it depended on your gender as much as anything. I have been advised to use fasted LISS as part of an overall programme.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    morsheadp wrote: »
    There wss a trial on bbc where they used fasted exercise and the results showed it depended on your gender as much as anything. I have been advised to use fasted LISS as part of an overall programme.

Whoever is advising you is not current with the research. The amount of fat burned as a fuel during exercise: A) is a trivial amount and B) has no significant effect on fat loss.

Improving your ability to burn fat during exercise (or at rest) has no significant effect on fat loss, independent of a calorie deficit. LISS has value as part of a training program. It has no value for fat loss independent of it's contribution to creating or maintaining a calorie deficit.
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference.

I've started running fasted regularly to save my dignity as I get such a bad stomach (and so I can wake up later) but theres not much cause to otherwise.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Only if it's the means of you adhering to a caloric deficit.

I wouldn't advice it otherwise.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There was some health benefits for some people, but in terms of weight loss, minimal value
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Remember that ultimately all the fuel you use has come from food ingested previously.
    Whether that was recently eaten and still being digested or eaten in the distant past and stored for future use is an irrelevance.

Fasted or fed is also pretty irrelevant to the mix of fuel substrates used, carbs and fat in a variable ratio according mostly to your exercise type and intensity. Glycogen stores are far more abundant than some people seem to imagine and your body regulates and preserves it very effectively. Using it on demand (exercise), preserving it when resting and topping it up when carbs are ingested.

What fasted exercise will do is make you better at fasted exercise. If that is an advantage in terms of fitting your exercise into your daily routine or if a person performs better / feels better exercising with an empty stomach then they are bigger benefits than anything else.
  • jezebel74
    jezebel74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I run first thing on an empty stomach. If I eat first I run slower and don't push myself, I feel bloated and sluggish therefore I don't achieve the goals and in that sense don't benefit as much.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Options
    Well my workouts will suffer. I need to eat a few hours before a workout. So dinner at 6pm i dont eat breakfast until 7am. Workouts are 9-930. So i need that fuel of protein, carbs abd healthy fat. Either a smoothie with protein powder and berries or greek yogurt with protein powder and berries.
  • BigRed2525
    BigRed2525 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I generally exercise on an empty stomach because I find it more comfortable to do so. Exercise tends to get my digestive system going, so best not to have too much in my belly. I’m also generally not hungry until I’ve been up for a couple of hours. Occasionally, I’ll wake up ravenous and will eat half a banana or whatever.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I think there are other benefits, too. I work out first thing in the AM and find that it fits my schedule better and keeps me motivated to workout first, then eat. For scheduling purposes, I'd rather get the workout in and then rush breakfast if necessary. And for motivation, I find getting that jolt of energy first thing feels great rather than sitting around and eating while I'm still stiff and sleepy. I've never felt any physical detriment from it, although I suppose it might be different if I was going to work out longer than an hour or go crazy hard or something.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm not currently in a deficit and I still exercise before eating because I find it uncomfortable to run after eating. It's much more comfortable for me to do my run and then eat breakfast.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I run first thing in the AM and only have a half glass of water. If I eat first I feel like I'm going to puke. I also swear I run harder (likely because I don't feel like I'm going to puke lol)
  • Chieflrg
    Options

I think there are other benefits, too. I work out first thing in the AM and find that it fits my schedule better and keeps me motivated to workout first, then eat. For scheduling purposes, I'd rather get the workout in and then rush breakfast if necessary. And for motivation, I find getting that jolt of energy first thing feels great rather than sitting around and eating while I'm still stiff and sleepy. I've never felt any physical detriment from it, although I suppose it might be different if I was going to work out longer than an hour or go crazy hard or something.
    So pretty much what I stated, it helps your adhere to a diet.
  • Chieflrg
    Options

I'm not currently in a deficit and I still exercise before eating because I find it uncomfortable to run after eating. It's much more comfortable for me to do my run and then eat breakfast.

Yeah, I get that, I meant your diet (be it deficit/surplus). Just had a brain fart...my point is more it doesn't actually do anything substantial as far as burning fat like it is spewed to.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yeah, I get that, I meant your diet (be it deficit/surplus). Just had a brain fart...my point is more it doesn't actually do anything substantial as far as burning fat like it is spewed to.

Oh, I get what you're saying. I completely agree. People should choose the method that works best for them and is most comfortable.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Taking my blood glucose levels before and after exercise and playing around with my meal timing, I've found that as a diabetic, substantial cardio (thirty minutes or more) fasted raises my blood glucose levels (due probably to cortisol production which blocks the action of insulin) while eating about 20g of quicker-acting carbs such as an orange beforehand seems to make me most comfortable and result in lower blood glucose levels overall.

However, a small amount (ten minutes) of bodyweight strength exercises before eating breakfast seems to help with lowering my levels after breakfast.

I think it's probably very individual, depending on your conditioning, as well as if you are healthy or insulin resistant. Since most people don't have blood glucose meters, rely on how your body feels. If you feel uncomfortable from eating before working out, don't. If you feel stressed or shaky working out fasted, eat a few carbs first.
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's good for far loss, but I usually exercise first thing in the morning, but eat something small like a little cutie orange to supply my body with something until I eat.