Revamped my goals, in need of advice

Options
I'm in my last two weeks of p90x classic. I've enjoyed it but I'm starting to get bored with the workouts. My only saving grace is that I can't stand starting something and not finishing it. So I will finish. But I've gone ahead and revamped my goals. I've decided t hat I need to burn all this fat off first before I start putting muscle on. This is just the way that I want to do it. I've been reading up on Insanity alot. I'm wondering if I should do this routine once I'm done with p90x classic. Maybe even do it twice if need be. Now I know that this workout will kick my butt all over my living room and probably out into the street. But I wanted to get some advice on what I should do next. P90x lean seems too easy. Any other workouts besides Insanity that anyone recommends? I'm a 5'11 male and weigh 217 lbs. Looking forward to responses.

Replies

• nikifiggins
    Options
    You're exactly RIGHT about burning fat BEFORE building muscle, it's nearly impossible to do both at the same time. Keep your focus on eating LOTS of good raw veggies plenty of fresh fruits and don't skimp on the fat. Fat is required to produce testosterone, and you need that to make the most of your workouts and feel great. Keep drinking water, and have some healthy carbs after your workout for a great recovery.

Don't worry too much about WHAT workout you're doing, just MOVE YOUR BODY every day and get good whole food nutrition into your belly.
    Keep it simple! You'll do great! Your commitment to finish is MORE IMPORTANT than the details of what workout you are doing.
    Niki
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm in my last two weeks of p90x classic. I've enjoyed it but I'm starting to get bored with the workouts. My only saving grace is that I can't stand starting something and not finishing it. So I will finish. But I've gone ahead and revamped my goals. I've decided t hat I need to burn all this fat off first before I start putting muscle on. This is just the way that I want to do it. I've been reading up on Insanity alot. I'm wondering if I should do this routine once I'm done with p90x classic. Maybe even do it twice if need be. Now I know that this workout will kick my butt all over my living room and probably out into the street. But I wanted to get some advice on what I should do next. P90x lean seems too easy. Any other workouts besides Insanity that anyone recommends? I'm a 5'11 male and weigh 217 lbs. Looking forward to responses.

have u thought abt doin insanity? it should help burn some fat for u. :smile:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely false that you can't burn fat and build muscle at the same time. P90X is GREAT for that!! I know because I've been lifting weights the whole time I've been doing cardio and losing fat for the past 6 months.

It would be a bad idea to try to just lose the fat because you won't be strong and will probably struggle more by the time you get around to lifting weights and strength training. Also, you may not get as firm as you'd like than if you were to do both at the same time. P90X is great for burning fat and toning up at the same time.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

I don't really recommend Insanity for your goals right now. I think that you should continue on to doing a 2nd round of P90X and do doubles with it. The program offers a doubles schedule or you can hit the treadmill in the evenings and do P90X in the mornings.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I did 3 rounds of P90X (round 1 Lean, round 2 doubles, round 3 P90X+) and while I lost quite a bit of weight in round 1, I REALLY leaned out doing doubles and P90X+. I then did Insanity, and was disappointed in the amount of upper body strength I lost in those 2 months. Yes, I did lean out some more, but I also lost some lean muscle mass. Not a good tradeoff for me.

Truly, if you've got the time, I would do another round of P90X doubles. The dilemma, though, is that you said you're getting bored with it. Perhaps get some of the old Tony Horton One-on-One workouts (from volumes 1 or 2) and swap those out in place of some of the P90X DVDs.

30/15--Upper Body Massacre would be a good replacement for Chest and Back
    Just Arms could be used in place of Chest, Shoulder and Triceps or Shoulders and Arms

Just a thought...