This was a mistake

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
TFW when you find a recipe for a faster/easier/simpler way to make a trigger/binge/overeating food.

bmnhhl4w2wdf.gif

I found a recipe for a 6" pie crust. I love pie dough. Easy to resist when I don't have it, but I have it.

In my freezer.

Waiting.

Why is baking/cooking the best way for me to relieve boredom? I end up making foods that cause me to want to overeat!

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    TFW when you find a recipe for a faster/easier/simpler way to make a trigger/binge/overeating food.

bmnhhl4w2wdf.gif

I found a recipe for a 6" pie crust. I love pie dough. Easy to resist when I don't have it, but I have it.

In my freezer.

Waiting.

Why is baking/cooking the best way for me to relieve boredom? I end up making foods that cause me to want to overeat!

I did this over Christmas - found a 1 for 1 replacement gf flour that actually works, and made batch after batch of cookies (I mean hundreds!), and "sampled" every batch for days - ugh.

Maybe make the pie so it isn't calling to you (should have asked how many pie crusts are in the freezer clearly this is bad advice if multiples)? You'll still have the temptation of not eating the baked pie, but then whatever the outcome it's over and done, and you can stop thinking about the potential goodness just waiting in the freezer.

If multiples I got nothing, sorry. I've had to put a moratorium on baking cookies until next year. Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I found a 157 calorie bagel recipe this week. (I LOVE BAGELS) So happy!!!! *high five*
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I like to take a recipe and see what cut downs and subs I can make to make it lower calorie. It's all a game. Most recipes you can cut sugar and oil by half or better and still get a passable result.
  • zyxst
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

bmnhhl4w2wdf.gif

In my freezer.

Waiting.

I did this over Christmas - found a 1 for 1 replacement gf flour that actually works, and made batch after batch of cookies (I mean hundreds!), and "sampled" every batch for days - ugh.

Maybe make the pie so it isn't calling to you (should have asked how many pie crusts are in the freezer clearly this is bad advice if multiples)? You'll still have the temptation of not eating the baked pie, but then whatever the outcome it's over and done, and you can stop thinking about the potential goodness just waiting in the freezer.

If multiples I got nothing, sorry. I've had to put a moratorium on baking cookies until next year. Good luck!

I split the dough into 4 pieces and froze each one separately. I figured it would be a lesser evil to eat 1/4th. Whole dough is 1,064 calories.

I was on the verge of boredom eating, so I made the pie dough. Not bored, but now I have Temptation, lol.
  • zyxst
    Options
    Update on the pie dough.

I had 1/4th of it this morning for breakfast.

It tastes nearly identical to Tenderflake crust! 'Nearly' because it doesn't have that metal flavor from the pie tin (yes I eat pie crusts right off the tin).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    You have me dying laughing, and a little concerned- just because you are the first person I have known to relish eating uncooked frozen pie dough.

Love the new pic.

Cheers, h.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    You have me dying laughing, and a little concerned- just because you are the first person I have known to relish eating uncooked frozen pie dough.

Love the new pic.

Cheers, h.

I'm guilty of that too... Reason why I pretty much never bake anymore.

Oh and why I took up knitting and learning random languages to alleviate boredom... Boredom baking is a bad idea for me :tongue:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The next time you do this, do it for an "occasion" where you'll make it for other people and so, share. Raw dough is a problem though. Hum--you cut it into quarters, how about eigths? less damage and you still get to indulge a little bit.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Well if we are having a frozen dough party, we need to know the apropriate BYOB.
    What is a suitable beverage?
    I'm leaning towards a sharp pear cider.

Sorry zyxst, my imagination is just getting carried away- it's late and I should be in bed.

Cheers, h.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Now I'm tempted to make pie crusts.

When I was growing up, we always knew when mom was worried about something - she'd bake bread or pies. I think working with the dough kind of soothed her.

I cook a lot when I'm bored/stressed. I've decided to clean more at those times. Burn some calories and not tempt myself.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Raw dough...yuck :/ but cake batter...now that is something I could tuck into :smiley:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. Love baking, love baked goods, it's a real struggle.

Actually probably going to make birthday cupcakes for my dog today because that's how baking deprived I am.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i bake all the time. i just give 99% of it away lololololol
  • gracegettingittogether
    Options

bmnhhl4w2wdf.gif

In my freezer.

Waiting.

Oh my gosh! My husband would loove for me to be like that! I sometimes say he should have gone to a culinary school to meet someone.
    I'm always kind of afraid to make too many delicious foods because I've always struggled with binging.
    Maybe someday I'll get over that and knock the socks off my husband with cooking like that too!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Wait... are you eating the raw dough? That's actually kind of a health concern, raw flour can be full of nasties.

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm508450.htm