Birth control weight gain

Options
2»

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Mirena has made me STARVING. It's a challenge to keep it in check, and I most certainly want to eat ALL THE CARBS. Shorter period is nice. Hoping it goes away altogether soon. I'm going to give it a few months and then decide if I want to keep it.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    While I completely agree that birth control does not cause weight gain itself, the weight I gained from the increased appetite LOOKED very different. I was puffy. I didn't like how enlarged my breasts were. I just hate BC so much.
    I hate HORMONAL birth control so much. I agree, the weight looked *different*. ick.
    I only took hormonal BC for a while, two different times. Hated it both times.
    Switch to non-hormonal methods after that.

You agree? I know there's not much science to back it up but it's like I didn't recognize my body. I also started smelling different and I hated it. I was so insecure and though my natural disposition is a bit...rough, I was constantly ENRAGED while I was on BC.

I hated it, too. Gained 30 pounds, and that was *despite* restricting calories. Amazing how the weight dropped off as soon as I went off the pill.

Got migraines, despite the midwife at my college (she was the only one who provided women's health there) telling me that it couldn't happen with the pill.

Never ever again.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced weight gain on BC. Just crazy emotions. Nuva Ring worked a little too well in the sense I didn't want to do anything even remotely sexy. The patch made me a crying basket case. I didn't realize it till I was off and noticed I wasn't crying at the drop of the hat. The last pill I was on was sore boobs all day everyday. I think I have finally found one I like and am sticking with it. Junelle Fe 24. You take it for 26 days in a row with a 2 day placebo, so it allows them to keep the estrogen dose lower then any pill on the market. It's basically a "mini combination pill" I have no mood swings, no PMS, no crazy cravings, and no period. The only drawback is I break out more. But since I'm a normal rational human being on this I don't really care, lol.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced weight gain on BC. Just crazy emotions. Nuva Ring worked a little too well in the sense I didn't want to do anything even remotely sexy. The patch made me a crying basket case. I didn't realize it till I was off and noticed I wasn't crying at the drop of the hat. The last pill I was on was sore boobs all day everyday. I think I have finally found one I like and am sticking with it. Junelle Fe 24. You take it for 26 days in a row with a 2 day placebo, so it allows them to keep the estrogen dose lower then any pill on the market. It's basically a "mini combination pill" I have no mood swings, no PMS, no crazy cravings, and no period. The only drawback is I break out more. But since I'm a normal rational human being on this I don't really care, lol.

I admit I liked the Nuva Ring in college. I didn't notice a change in libido but I was young. I just know that now it wouldn't make me feel very sexy. Once in college a guy ask "what's this?". He took it out and threw it across the room.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I admit I liked the Nuva Ring in college. I didn't notice a change in libido but I was young. I just know that now it wouldn't make me feel very sexy. Once in college a guy ask "what's this?". He took it out and threw it across the room.

Yeah, the whole process of the ring is far from sexy LOL. Neither is the patch. I always got asked either : "Oh are ya trying to quit smoking?" -Nope, just trying not to have kids! OR "Oh, what happened? Did you cut yourself?" -No, it's just birth control....

ETA: I was a 19 year old newly wed while on the ring. That's how bad it knocked my libido into the dirt!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I get the depo shot once a quarter and have not experienced any adverse side effects--including weight gain.

(But I also was on the pill for years before that and didn't experience any adverse side effects, either...)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mirena has made me STARVING. It's a challenge to keep it in check, and I most certainly want to eat ALL THE CARBS. Shorter period is nice. Hoping it goes away altogether soon. I'm going to give it a few months and then decide if I want to keep it.

This was me, it was like non-stop PMS.