Upping calories for weightloss

Options
I work out 5 days a week for around 40 minutes and MFP gave me 1,300 calories which I can stick to for a say 5-6 days then ALWAYS go over by 500 - 1,000 calories. I'm basically stuck in this endless cycle of losing 800 grams then putting it all back on and sometimes more. I'm thinking that perhaps my calories are too low and that 1,300 isn't sustainable?

I'm a 5ft 4 female and weigh 61kg and I only want to lose 4 kgs.

Has anyone else tried upping their calories? I'm thinking maybe 1,500 would be ok? I know I will have to trial it out for a few weeks but what do other women do that are around my height?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    What sort of deficit are you running? With so little to lose, it shouldn't be more than about 1/2 a pound (whatever MFP rounds 227g to on the metric side) per week.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I see you having several options here. Increase your calories a bit to aim for 1/4 kilo gain a week which is slow progress but realistic and sustainable. Alternatively, you can eat at a goal of 1/2 kilo a week weight loss for 5 days then eat at maintenance for the other 2 which may be a way of eating that is more suitable for you. The most important thing is finding a way of creating a deficit that you can stick with for the long haul.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    What sort of deficit are you running? With so little to lose, it shouldn't be more than about 1/2 a pound (whatever MFP rounds 227g to on the metric side) per week.

Yeah when I do the little one (200g a week) and it gives me 1,350 which is what I'm struggling with.
  • TrishSeren
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Are you eating back exercise cals OP?

When I started and initially got the minimum recommended cals 1200 based on the info I entered, I quickly realized that wasn't going to be enough for me, even with eating back exercise cals. I started reading in the forums about how most people don't need to cut that low to lose, and how slower weight loss can sometimes help lead to lasting changes. I upped my goal first to 1400, then 1500, still eating back the exercise cals and still losing.

I lost most of my weight (>30 lbs) eating 1600-1900 cals and steadily upping my activity. Now I'm in maintenance as a 5'2 female over 40 with a TDEE of 2200.

If you're finding your current goal unsustainable you should definitely consider a less aggressive deficit.

Thanks, this is been helpful! Yes, I'm eating back my exercise calories, however, I do weight lifting and find that it's difficult to get an accurate reading on how much I'm likely burning in a workout.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'4" weight lifter too. I think it really depends on what is easier for you to adhere to. Would you do better just upping it to 1500 and eating that daily, or would you prefer to have lower days and a couple higher days to average out to 1500?
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Me! I took a very long maintenance break this fall, and decided I was going to jump back in at a 500 calorie deficit for 8 weeks. I spent the first week constantly hungry, grumpy, and thinking about food, even with plenty of the vegetables and fruits I love filling my stomach. I went back to the 250 calorie deficit that had successfully seen me through a 45 pound loss, and it was honestly like night and day.

What has your rate of loss been? Is it possible that you’re underestimating your activity level?
  • TrishSeren
    Options
    Me! I took a very long maintenance break this fall, and decided I was going to jump back in at a 500 calorie deficit for 8 weeks. I spent the first week constantly hungry, grumpy, and thinking about food, even with plenty of the vegetables and fruits I love filling my stomach. I went back to the 250 calorie deficit that had successfully seen me through a 45 pound loss, and it was honestly like night and day.

What has your rate of loss been? Is it possible that you’re underestimating your activity level?

It's been up and down, as in 800grams down one week and then the next over 1kg back on. Needless to say, in 12 months I started and finished at the exact same weight. So I achieved nothing. I vaguely remember back a few years ago on an old MFP account I was losing weight on 1,600 calories but I can't access it to verify that.

I try and underestimate, especially for my weight training as it's hard to know accurately. Like I'll work out for 30 minutes but log it as 15 minutes to be safe.

• BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »

It's been up and down, as in 800grams down one week and then the next over 1kg back on. Needless to say, in 12 months I started and finished at the exact same weight. So I achieved nothing. I vaguely remember back a few years ago on an old MFP account I was losing weight on 1,600 calories but I can't access it to verify that.

I try and underestimate, especially for my weight training as it's hard to know accurately. Like I'll work out for 30 minutes but log it as 15 minutes to be safe.

Ah. I meant your base activity level-sedentary, lightly active, etc. I thought I was sedentary, but I’m actually lightly active and would be undereaing if I set my level to sedentary and didn’t eat back exercise calories. That said, if you’re not losing weight and feeling hungry and tired, it may be that the food you’re eating just isn’t satiating enough for you. There is no one perfect macro mix for everyone, but each person needs to find what foods make them feel most satisfied.
  • TrishSeren
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »

Ah. I meant your base activity level-sedentary, lightly active, etc. I thought I was sedentary, but I’m actually lightly active and would be underrating if I set my level to sedentary and didn’t eat back exercise calories. That said, if you’re not losing weight <I>and</I> feeling hungry and tired, it may be that the food you’re eating just isn’t satiating enough for you. There is no one perfect macro mix for everyone, but each person needs to find what foods make them feel most satisfied.

Oh yes I put it to sedentary as I work in an office and take a bus to and from work.

• UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Depending on the amount of exercise I do that day, I end up eating between 1700-3000 calories...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ts1o62gxg4lr.jpg
  • shannonprovenzano2812
    Options
    The MFP recommended goal for me was 1370 originally. I had to raise it to 1550 instead though. For some reason I felt like I was starving. I may lose a little slower because of it but it won’t make a huge difference in the long run and I don’t feel like binging every day now.