A simple lower body focused program

Options
I'm getting back into lifting after a break and trying to figure out what program to run. I liked the results of Strong Curves, but felt it had too many exercises and didn't enjoy the high reps. I looked through the thread with all the links to programs but didn't see anything I wanted to try. Any suggestions?

Replies

• GainsLevelIncreased
    Options
    Could do a push pull legs program. Where you combine upper body and lower body. Like Chest, Tries, and Calves for push. Pull would be Back, Bies, and Hamstrings. Then leg day you could focus on quads, hip flexers, and glutes. Then a Shoulder, Traps, and Forearms day. It's a 4 day a week program, but it'd be about 6 exercises per gym session. 45-60 minute workouts 4x a week
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the rep scheme, why don't you run a strength program with added glute/leg work? I pretty much have always done some of the SC lifts along with everything starting back from Strong Lifts, Wendlers, PHUL, PHAT. and PH3 (which is crazy, don't do the last two unless you've been lifting for quite awhile).
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    If you don't like the rep scheme, why don't you run a strength program with added glute/leg work? I pretty much have always done some of the SC lifts along with everything starting back from Strong Lifts, Wendlers, PHUL, PHAT. and PH3 (which is crazy, don't do the last two unless you've been lifting for quite awhile).

Pretty much this. I do a 4x/week upper/lower split and then have an additional glute only day with stuff from SC.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. I do a 4x/week upper/lower split and then have an additional glute only day with stuff from SC.

My go to haven't lifted in awhile program is Stronglifts. Super simple, but other than my quads, it hasn't done much for my lower body. I was thinking of subbing hip thrust for squat on one day. I could add in some accessories from SC on the end of that. I guess I just wish there was a less complicated version of Strong Curves, but I may just have to make up my own.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

My go to haven't lifted in awhile program is Stronglifts. Super simple, but other than my quads, it hasn't done much for my lower body. I was thinking of subbing hip thrust for squat on one day. I could add in some accessories from SC on the end of that. I guess I just wish there was a less complicated version of Strong Curves, but I may just have to make up my own.

Yeah Strong Lifts alone won't do much for your butt. I still squat 3x per week and hip thrust two times. I run a DUP for my compound lifts though so it's not 5x5 in a liner progression. Regardless, that shouldn't matter TOO much.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options

SL's is fine to stick with as-is, but there's no reason not to add something like hip thrusts, RLD's, or something else to focus your hamstrings, glutes, and lower back. Don't have to a ton of work either. Do the three main lifts for the day and then do your hip thrusts for a couple sets of 10-12 reps per say. But use a weight that is light enough to where you can really feel the muscle and squeeze them at the top of the movement and just use a more controlled tempo. I don't think you really need a glute specific day, as the squats and DL's do engage your glutes and you need to make sure you're recovering adequately from your training to continue progression.