How much exercise?

Chantelledc90
Chantelledc90 Posts: 11 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Newbie here!
How many days do you exercise and for how long?

Last 8months I’ve been doing 1hr a week pole dance class. Currently quit smoking (2months now yay!!) and have started taking a 2nd class along with 3days of 1hr home cardio workout. Walk 30-60mins a day.

Replies

• UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    I run 7 days a week, between 50-75 miles total. Some days I only run for 45 minutes, other days I can run for 2-3 hours.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    6 days, 3 days running 1.5-3 hours, 3 days of 2 hour gym workouts. So about 12 hours a week.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    4-5 lifting sessions per week, about 45-60min each. Plus yoga once a week
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    As with everything thing else, if you're new to exercise, start slowly and build up gradually, newbie gains are awesome, but newbie injuries suck
  • Ekoth1017
    Ekoth1017 Posts: 100 Member
    Starting out I've been aiming for 3-4.
  • Ekoth1017
    Ekoth1017 Posts: 100 Member
    pamfgil wrote: »
    As with everything thing else, if you're new to exercise, start slowly and build up gradually, newbie gains are awesome, but newbie injuries suck

Yes they do suck! I started out doing some sort of high intestity work out DVD and ended up tearing something in my knee. I couldn't walk up and down the stairs for quite a awhile. Lesson learned.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    About 8 hours this week, it's the off season. Three hours lifting, two skiing, the rest on a road bike.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    Currently workout doing "something" at least 6-7 days a week.

Rowing everyday. 50k meters/wk (5 or 10k per day). Takes 1/2 to do 5k meters and 1 hr for 10k.

Plus about an hr of lifting (just DL, SQT, BP, OHP & Rows) and body weight (BW) exercises (just pushups, pullups and dips) 4-5 days a week.

Was also hiking 5-10 miles 1 day/wk (which takes me 2-4 hrs but the weather has turned bad and haven't done that in a couple of weeks.

That totals 9-10 hrs/wk for rowing, lifting and BW exercise plus an extra 2-4 hrs if I do any hiking.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,527 Member
    7 days a week.

I might take half a dozen days off each year.

But what I do varies: walking, running, rowing, weight lifting, and lots and lots of cycling! :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    when i first started?

i didnt want to spend the money on the gym, if i wasnt positive i would go. so, i started by taking a walk every other day or so. built that up to (almost) every day. started going to the gym with my friend once or twice a week. decided i liked that, then got my own membership. when i lost most of my weight, i was at the gym 5-6 days a week. often, i supplemented that with a walk/jog that night. But I was working from home and had the time for all that.

now.... it depends on the week and what is going on, but i can go anywhere from 3 (on average) to 5 times a week.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    I used to do 90 mins a day x 5 - for some reason I felt I wouldn't be able to maintain my weight unless I did that much! (Turns out I just had to eat 200 cals less a day so went from eating 2200 cals to maintain to 2000).

Last year I cut back to 30 mins a day (due to work commitments and joint issues because I was over doing exercise) and am finding I am able to keep my fitness/strength up on that amount of time.
    I like that now I have more time to do other things I enjoy - draw/sketch and cook.

Do exercise you enjoy, but its really not necessary to spend hours each day working out imo. 30 mins is absolutely adequate.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    It's been 40 years since I was a newbie to exercise....

I exercise most days, alternating between cycling (or sometimes other cardio) and strength workouts.
    Strength 60 - 80 mins
    Indoor cycle training 60 - 90 mins
    Outdoor cycling 1 - 8 hrs but fairly typically around 2 - 4 hrs

Although exercise is fantastic for health do also factor in enjoyment and sustainability. I wouldn't stick with my exercise/training routine if I didn't enjoy doing it and enjoy the results of doing it.