Exercise when working 60+ hours a week

Options
Chunkahlunkah
Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Do you work over 60 hours a week but still meet your exercise goals? Teach me your ways! I'm looking to be inspired by people making it work. Do you make it a commitment at the same time each day and just stick with it no matter what? Morning, night, what time works best for you?

I'm using "work" loosely here, not meaning just a job. I also mean grad/professional students if your workload is consistently that high, or a combo of work/school totaling that amount.

I keep telling myself that I just need to stick to a routine, but then I get sucked into a project like today that takes 14 hours. I'm so exhausted. I guess I need to become a morning exerciser, but that's always been a challenge for me because I get lightheaded. I'll find something that works, but right now I just really need to hear from people who are doing it. I need hope!

Replies

• Chunkahlunkah
    Options
    I did it. :) I told myself that although tired, I could handle some lifting with light weights. Then came some leg lifts and squats. By then, I had enough blood pumping to give me the energy to do my short workout dvd (which was my original goal for today). So, I guess that's one method that can work for me! Do a little and see if I can keep doing a little more. I don't know if that'll usually work though. I suspect I'll have to make exercise a habit before I start working, since once I do start, I tend to keep going until I'm done, even if that's 14 hours. :#

It might sound silly, but I'm really happy I made my little goal today! :blush:

I definitely still want to hear your stories though. :)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I don't work that many hours but wanted to suggest eating a piece of fruit before working out in the morning - getting lightheaded when doing a morning workout sounds like a low blood sugar issue which can easily be avoided.

My other suggestion would be short, but high intensity workouts. Fifteen minutes can do a lot for you!

Congrats on meeting your goal and good luck!
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Options
    Thanks, @rheddmobile! I'll try out the fruit suggestion soon. I think 15 min workouts will need to be my norm. I'm embarrassed to say that on some days, even that's been too much and I've blown them off! But that's bc I intended to do them after I finished working. Fruit in the morning and then a short workout sounds like just the ticket. Thank you! :)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    If you have access to kettlebells the Simple and Sinister routine is a good conditioning workout. You can knock it out in less than thirty minutes. It's only two exercises, swings and Turkish get ups.

I agree with the notion of morning work outs. After a long day I'm more likely to skip working out because I'm tired.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    workout at lunch or in the morning. I hit the gym 4-5 days a week at lunch time
  • BigRed2525
    BigRed2525 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I work 60ish hours a week (attorney plus adjunct professor) and definitely have to work out in the mornings. I go to the gym near my office, take my work clothes, and get ready there. It’s a pain in the *kitten*, as I have to prepack clothes, toiletries, as well as breakfast and lunch, but worth it. Plus not gonna lie, I get some smug satisfaction knowing I’ve done more before 8am than most people around me.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This is me!

I have put on so much weight in the last 3 years because of this. My commute is about 2.5-3.5 hours daily. I work 2 jobs and I'm just finishing my Masters so my "working" week including travel is 80+ hours. I do not take lunch hours most days, I generally work through.

I try to take the stairs where I can and walk as much as possible but I'd love to learn any alternatives. I like the idea of the very short but intense bursts.
  • KileyP1980
    KileyP1980 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I am currently in the middle of my weightloss journey, I am a nurse who works 50+ hr weeks. I have 2 kids both in AAA hockey (I live in a rink LOL)

I just simply make it a priority - no matter how busy you are, you can find 30-60min to do some activity. Wake up earlier, go for a walk during your lunch (use map my fitness app - it syncs to mfp).
    We are so quick to tell ourselves how busy we are that we can't work out, but when you really look at it -are you that busy? If I break my 16+ hr day down, I can always find time, its simply making it a priority.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you consider my commute I come close to that. Around 50 hours I would say. That doesn't include overtime if it happens or weekends I am scheduled to work.

I am usually up at 4AM. I live on 5 acres with a dog, 2 horses and 10 chickens so they have to be taken care of before work and after I get home and hubby wants dinner in that mess too. He does help when he can and is here. He works odd shifts so it all depends whether I am solo or have a bit of help.

I have a 30-45 minute window for myself in the evening and thats when I do my thing. I do whatever I have scheduled for that day before I make dinner. It is either running, cycling or some form of strength training. I have to be highly organized to fit it all in. There are times when I just can't make it work but I would say if everything goes as planned I am about 95% successful at it. It can be difficult but it's worth it to me.
  • jesse1952
    jesse1952 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For me it's first thing in the morning. Out of bed and to the gym (dressed of course). Otherwise I get too caught up with other things. If you feel light-headed, start slow and go easy at first. I think no matter what time you go it's important to get into a routine of going to the gym at the same time each day.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Good stuff, thanks, guys! I'm determined to make morning exercise my thing. Knowing my work style, that will be the easiest way to guarantee exercise happens. I've never been a morning exerciser, but for now at least it's what I've gotta do. Thanks for the advice to start slow @jesse1952, I think that's been another mistake I've made before in the past when I've tried to switch to mornings. @Catawampous Love your pic haha and I think in my case organization seems key too. Looks like a fixed routine is what's worked for most.

@GillianLF I hope your schedule lightens up for you soon! Those commutes sound brutal.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it's about making your workouts a high priority in your life.

How important is to you? Is it worth going to be bed early and hitting the gym from 4:30-5:30? If that doesn't work, is it worth going to the gym later at night?

If you're working that many hours each, you're going to have to sacrifice something in your life. It's up to you if working out is the activity that gets cut or made a priority.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do you like DVDs? T25 is only 25 min a day and is a great workout. I did the alpha and beta rounds over the summer. You can always add in more when you have more time.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Options
    @Scotty2HotPie So true about making it a priority. @DancingMoosie I used to have Beachbody on Demand but to cut costs I didn't renew. I really miss it though, so I'm going to get it again.

Much respect for those of you getting ready for work at the gym!
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    When I was in school, there was classes, + I had clinical rotations 4 day per week and I had a night job at a hospital. The schedule was 8-9 days per week. My concern with training was not just the time for the workout also the recovery time from a hard workout. I kept the work outs short, but moderately intense, with compound lifts . one was Squat & overhead press the other was bench & deadlift. 2 - 4 X per week depending on time. warm up, do a 3X5-8 , stop short of failure, and get out of the gym in about 30 mins -do a couple assistance lifts if you want. This was effective - got all the muscle groups and didn't beat me up. Eastcoast Jim
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have busy seasons at work and during those times I just have to scale things...just means that most of my rides may be shorter than I would like, but I'm still doing them. I don't have a ton of time for the weight room so I work with my trainer on programming that is going to be very efficient and not take up a lot of time...I'm usually in and out in 40 minutes.

I also use my weekends wisely...weekends are when I'm going to have more time to take that long ride or spend a bit more time in the gym or spend a few hours rock climbing, etc...I know a lot of people take their rest days on weekends, but weekends for me are "prime time."
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I work 40 hours a week at my office, plus 10 hours a week at a dance studio, I spend my 5 hours worth of lunch breaks doing lesson plans for the dance classes... and I commute an hour every day. Sooooooo that adds up to about 60 hours away from home that I physically can't commit to exercise.

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL.

Maybe we should make a group? I'm trying to turn into a morning person and workout between 6 and 6:30 a.m. but when I don't get home and eat dinner until 9-9:30 I fail most of the time.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's a tough thing to manage, but if it's important enough you'll find a way. Early morning is a great time to exercises once you get use to getting up a little early. When I was working on my MS degree I was also working 45 to 50 hours a week plus on-call 24/7 and I was able to keep it up. You can do it! :smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There are 168 hours in a week, setting aside 8 hrs a night for sleep still leaves 112 for work, errands, meal preparation, chores around the house and exercise.

I'm lucky in that I'm a morning person so I generally start each day with a workout (running, rowing, swimming etc) which also makes me feel more energetic during the day. I also usually try for a second activity after work (only because I'm a wannabe triathlete)

I run my own accounting practice so I'm no stranger to long hours, peak times may mean foregoing my evening workout but I try never to skip my mornings (I'm also fortunate that both of my kids are young adults now so there's no more running off to sports practices etc with them)

Make exercise a priority, even if there are days when you may only get 30 minutes or so.