Intermittent Fasting - Thoughts? Comments?

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I eat from 8 am to midnight and fast from midnight to 8 am.
  • fatvegan88
    fatvegan88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I follow 16:8. It works for me even though I haven’t lost much weight. It’s helping to break the cycle of constantly having to eat or snack on something. I have my first meal at noon and a second larger meal around 5 or 6. I do drink a lot of tea and water though in the morning and sometimes I have them with lemon. If I’m really hungry I also have a small snack at 3. I do find that I can’t have any sweets or sugar with my second meal. If I want something sweet I have to have it at lunch because a ravenous hunger will consume my body if I have it with dinner.
  • potatovegan
    potatovegan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like to do the 16:8 fast a couple times a week. It's really just a matter of skipping breakfast and not eating after 8pm the night before. I think it's good to let your stomach growl once in a while, lol.
  • erizo19
    erizo19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've tried both 5:2 and 16:8.

I didn't love 5:2, it gave me this crazy nervous energy (and insomnia) on fast days (although it got better after the first few times). I could see myself doing it again just to shake things up, though. I've also seen it work very well for one friend who didn't like to count calories, too.

16:8 is closer to my preferred eating style, so it wasn't as much of a challenge. The hardest part was skipping my morning coffee.

With both of them, I found that by the time I did eat, I was satisfied with smaller portions - seemed like my stomach shrunk a bit since it wasn't always working. But I still found that over time I preferred to eat a light breakfast and a light lunch, then a heavier dinner, rather than sticking with the 16:8.
  • daraalt
    daraalt Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i love IF!! some days i do 2 meals a day, some 1. when i first started i gradually went from 3 meals to 2 to 1. i wanted to make sure that i didn't have a hypoglycemic reaction. i actually did an 8 day water fast after that. it reset my system. now i do about 2 meals a day, eating after 10 am (sometimes noon) and stop eating by 6 ish. my body does not need to eat when i wake up. and eating only 2x a day keeps the insulin spikes down. because every time you eat your insulin goes up. and we don't want that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    daraalt wrote: »
    i love IF!! some days i do 2 meals a day, some 1. when i first started i gradually went from 3 meals to 2 to 1. i wanted to make sure that i didn't have a hypoglycemic reaction. i actually did an 8 day water fast after that. it reset my system. now i do about 2 meals a day, eating after 10 am (sometimes noon) and stop eating by 6 ish. my body does not need to eat when i wake up. and eating only 2x a day keeps the insulin spikes down. because every time you eat your insulin goes up. and we don't want that.

Actually yes you do as that's how your body is supposed to work!
    It's a real problem if your pancreas doesn't work as it's supposed to.