Managing your knee, hip, or back pain

Options
2»

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I am in horrific hip pain and cannot exercise (PT made me so much worse, my bouts of crazy pain are practically none now that I stopped and don't take stairs (eg no weight on the bad leg).

I take a lot of supplements to keep the pain where I can still go to work and pretend I'm okay and seem normal on the outside. I started on Osteo-Biflex (glucosamine and chondroiten) and it didn't seem to do much though on it's own. I added in Tumeric and Bromelain together and they are doing a wonderful job. I tried Rx Aleve (Naproxin) and it didn't do anything, I tried another Rx and it worked wonders but gave me migraines, I'm on my third Rx and it is going okay but really think the Tumeric and Bromelain are wonderful. Good luck to you!

Have you had an official diagnosis?

I have. I need a full hip replacement, probably on both sides but I'm 'too young' so I'm to live (more like exist) like this for a while longer.

Sorry too hear that - it's the pits. My sister had a double knee replacement in her 50's and,after nearly 20 years has just had to have a revision on one. Apparently they can only do the revision once so I guess that's why they want you to wait.
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a really interesting article on the topic on managing pain and the science of it.

https://gmb.io/pain/
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have some really difficult joint pain. I find that I have to keep moving. Resting is not helpful for me. The longer I sit (in a car, on the couch, anywhere...) the harder it is to get up and get started again. Mornings are the pits. I feel best when I've had an active day (walking, hiking, biking, skiing), and worst when I've rested.

I do take regular naproxen and turmeric supplements which seem to have improved things.

Good luck. And don't just sit around! You won't regret it!
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have femeroacetabular impingement syndrome in my left hip. This means that my sockets are abnormally deep and additionally I have a bump on my femur which catches on the socket. It causes constant pain and fatigue. I take 2 naproxen a day and paracetamol when needed. I am still pretty active, I train at the gym regularly, have just started yoga and a dance class. I find the best thing is to know my current limitations and work around them. There are certain movements that I have to avoid but it doesn’t stop me working hard to strengthen everything. I’m currently waiting for surgery to correct the problem which should free up the joint and get rid of the pain.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I've had torn meniscus in both knees since my late teens. REALLY started to bother me in my late 20's. PT had me start doing a LOT of balance work - anything to engage the smaller stabilizing muscles. As long as I've kept that up, knee issues are very well managed.

Just over a year ago now had a pretty decent pilon fracture (a fx where the upper part of the ankle joint - aka the bottom end/weight bearing surface of the tibia, shatters). That is finally able to handle gym workouts again, but I eased into it - worked first with PT then with a trainer, and now am back to "full" workouts (most days - it still has limits, but that's a moving target ATM). That leg feels better the more I'm working it.

Knowing my knee history I started with balance work almost as soon as I could tolerate it after being allowed to weight bear as I knew that would be essential to keeping my knees from acting up while rehabbing the rest of that leg. They are holding up quite well at this point, although earlier in my weight bearing they did act up for a bit before I could really start doing any balance work.
  • MB_Boston
    MB_Boston Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep up with PT. Foam roller has helped me for knee, back & hip pain along with stretching.

Good luck!
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You guys are amazing. Thank you for sharing your stories! It gives me hope that I can eventually overcome (or at least manage) the situation. Just in the couple of days since I first posted, I've been doing more stretching and it seems to help a bit. Baby steps!
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options

@amyf2000 what stretches do you do? I have similar issues.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    In my opinion to keep your joints healthy you have to keep working them.

impact
    rotation
    full range of motion
    developing the muscles around the joints

Are you going to go through periods of pain?

Hell yeah.

But your joints are going to get stronger to te point of not being a problem any more.

3 Years ago, i could barely walk a mile at a slow pace without having to go lay down and feeling like i was dyeing. My ankles, shins, knees, hips, and back where killing me. And my heart and lungs felt like they where going to explode.

I was obese at the time, but I kept at it, and started power walking. If I my joints hurt then I power limped. Over time all my joints got stronger and I worked my way up to being able to power walk at a 4.5 mph pace for over 10 miles.

After a couple years I found it was hard to keep my heart rate in the cardio zone just power walking, so I tried running. I started too fast and hurt my knee, so I went back to power limping until my knee fully healed up (3 to 4 weeks). I started running slowly and could only run for about 30 seconds at first. I kept at it and over the past year have worked my way up to running 5 miles non stop at a slow pace.

My joints have gotten a lot stronger and now they don't bother me at all now (aside from normal fatigue from intense workouts). I felt like my joints have developed to the point where I started running intervals. I run hard for 30 seconds to 1 minute and power walk for 2 to 4 minutes, and repeat for 3.8 to 5.5 miles depending on which route I do.

I am 60 years old.

You have to push your body in order for it to repair itself. The trick is to not cross the threshold between pain and injury.

But you gotta push yourself to improve.

JMHO.

You pretty much nailed what I was going to say. I'm in fairly good shape now despite my behavior in my 30s and early 40s. I blew an ACL out in college (playing pick up basketball) and didn't have health insurance (or the money because I paid for my last three years of college myself) to fix it. Not having an ACL isn't the worst thing in the world, I thought, but you have to give up start and stop athletics completely and you have to REALLY watch what you do.

Well, I stopped smoking in my early 30s, got a desk job and went from 160 to 220 within 3 or four years. I'd have periods where I would workout and lose a little and then gain it back.

Stupidly, I offered to coach my son's 7th grade BB team. We taught them zone press and before I knew it, I was playing (obese and all) with the kids. I had a knee brace and thought it was OK until my knee nearly went out a couple of times. I got a bit smarter, I thought, and stopped running with them. Then one day, without the brace, I was teaching them a zone defense and it just went. When I say "went", the doc in Cincy that does 300 plus knee surgeries a year said it was the most "catastrophic event" he'd seen that year. I dislocated the knee, sheared the meniscus off the bone and tore the other ligaments. I not only couldn't walk, I couldn't bend it. After the first surgery, the doc closed me up. I woke up to my wife crying in recovery, telling me he wanted to do a knee replacement (at 41).

Lucky for me, I was "too young" at that time even though the two docs looking at my knee debated for a month. We decided to just fix the ACL, do microfracture surgery (drill a bunch of little holes in the knee and pray meniscus spontaneously grows back) and do rehab. My rehab insurance, 20 appointments, ran out when I was able to finally bare weight in great pain. Wasn't close to walking much less standing well.

What I learned in therapy, though, was hard work and that joints like movement. What saved my knee was the periods of lifting (even when I was heavy) maintaining my muscles around the knee. I started on my own rehab on Stationary Bikes. Did that for a few months. Got to the point I went from 100 steps to 3 miles a day. I limped for nearly 3 years. But I got stronger and stronger. I started Spinning Classes. The first one, the instructor came up to me after class and said "I was worried about you, you were 'white knuckling it'". Within a year or two, I was stronger than nearly every instructor. On a whim, I saw if I could jog. I found, to my surprise, that I could. Not fast mind you but I didn't fall flat on my face (like early in my rehab one time when I forgot I couldn't jog!). I started with 100 steps and within 2 years I was doing 7 mile steep trail races (averaging 10 minute miles on steep terrain).

My running days are mostly over now, I've lost 60 lbs and kept it off for four years. Unfortunately, Chronic Runner's knee (in my darn "good knee") wouldn't stop, so I finally had to give it up. I took up indoor rowing in rehab and loved it. Next weekend, I'm traveling to Indianapolis for an Indoor "Regatta" because there's no one left competing at my age in Cincinnati that can race me any longer.

I'm 53 years old, 16% body fat. I can bench over 200 pounds now and deadlift 1 and a half times my weight (not a lot but considering that I couldn't leg press 10 lbs for two years with my one leg, I'll take that). I'm closing in on a 7:15 2K time rowing on a Concept2 (which puts me around 80th percentile of the rowers in world at my age). My goal is when I'm 55 to go to the World Indoor Rowing competition and place in the top 10 in the world. My Vo2 Max is like a 20 year old's now.

Same crappy knee. Eleven years ago I was told it needed replaced "desperately". Actually, the last time I saw my knee doc, he was saying if I kept limping as bad as I was that I'd also need a hip replacement! Losing weight, minimizing sugar, limiting processed foods (I'm gluten/dairy free which helps a lot with that), lots of Omega3s, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, eating tons of colorful vegetables, lean proteins and MOVEMENT most of all. Staying away from NSAIDs is important too. I take Curcumin and Omega3s -- no prescriptions, no Tylenol or Advil (unless I've got a headache or fever). I even juice 3/4 times a week with Turmeric Root and Ginger. Green Beans are fantastic for your joints (one of the best forms of absorbable Silica, which helps you produce your own collagen (I don't do bone broth, green beans are superior). \

I also got broadsided at 22 going 65 (T-Boned), so my neck is crap too, at least according to doctors. Working out/lifting has also taken the pain out of that as well. Rowing has helped that tremendously. It's amazing what rowing does for your back/neck pains because it compliments all the forward head leaning we do on computers and electronic devices.

Tai Chi is wonderful if you can't do anything else. Your body, your joints absolutely need movement. Stationary bike is also great. If you're careful, so is the rower. Like someone said, lose the weight with diet and your joints will thank you. Move more and they will thank you even more.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Swimming might be good for you—no impact, but good for cardio. ‘Ask your PT.

I have progressive scoliosis and do yoga. 3-4 90 minutes classes a week, plus I stretch after weights and cardio. My back is so much better and my range of motion has increased so much on my bad side.

I used to run, and can’t anymore because of the impact. My cardio is the elliptical or rowing machine.