survivalist, prepping, and outdoor lovers

Options

Replies

• zacharyzane91
    zacharyzane91 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I’ve thought of this a lot actually because as a self-proclaimed minimalist, the idea of stockpiling things in my basement gives me legit anxiety. My current survival kit based on what I have on hand is enough food to feed 4 people for about 30 minutes and whatever water we can salvage from the toilets. I don’t like my chances.

lol train to be a raider i would say is your best bet
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    I keep some basic supplies like food and water in case of hurricane or ice-storm...alternate heat source, supplies for grilling...real basic.

We actually do get power-outages from those weather events every several years it seems, so unless your plan was to actually get out and leave your place until you find somewhere else to ride it out...not a bad idea to keep some basics I think.

Several neighbors have back-up generators and I have considered it. They aren't cheap, though. As you get older, I can really see the value in having them however. Being without heat in freezing temperatures is not very fun for young people, either.

You can buy portable generators for about $500 to start. I have a Honda, which costs about $1800 and will do what I need it to.
    I’ve thought of this a lot actually because as a self-proclaimed minimalist, the idea of stockpiling things in my basement gives me legit anxiety. My current survival kit based on what I have on hand is enough food to feed 4 people for about 30 minutes and whatever water we can salvage from the toilets. I don’t like my chances.

You can be a minimalist, while still having enough supplies to last for a few days. Minimalism isn't about not being prepared, it's more about not living life to excess like so many do.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I keep some basic supplies like food and water in case of hurricane or ice-storm...alternate heat source, supplies for grilling...real basic.

We actually do get power-outages from those weather events every several years it seems, so unless your plan was to actually get out and leave your place until you find somewhere else to ride it out...not a bad idea to keep some basics I think.

Several neighbors have back-up generators and I have considered it. They aren't cheap, though. As you get older, I can really see the value in having them however. Being without heat in freezing temperatures is not very fun for young people, either.

You can buy portable generators for about $500 to start. I have a Honda, which costs about $1800 and will do what I need it to.

You can be a minimalist, while still having enough supplies to last for a few days. Minimalism isn't about not being prepared, it's more about not living life to excess like so many do.

For me minimalism is about preferring to starve to death over having too much clutter.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

For me minimalism is about preferring to starve to death over having too much clutter.

At least do something about the toilet water please please pleae
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options

I won’t be bullied by a person of authority
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

But its so ewwwww
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I live on a small farm. We are rural enough that we need to be ready to be self sufficient for a few days in bad weather. So far, so good.
  • zacharyzane91
    Options

just get a life straw lol
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    edited January 2018
    Options

just get a life straw lol

Ooooo good solution!

Can we compromise
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options

Everyone has their own views on what minimalism is. ;)
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    so who all is into any of the above and whats some of your fav things to do

Yep, me. Camping.. recreation.. anything fun
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    This thread has a wide range... from the obscure paranoid to the everyday person that enjoys life. I can tell from you other threads you are pretty single minded and polarized so why the huge net? Get lonely in the bunker?
  • zacharyzane91
    Options
    This thread has a wide range... from the obscure paranoid to the everyday person that enjoys life. I can tell from you other threads you are pretty single minded and polarized so why the huge net? Get lonely in the bunker?

well this and a west Virginia thread are my only threads so yeah im very polarized but yeah i just had my last can of Alpo and the bunker is getting to quiet....i think i hear trespassers so brb gotta go do a perimeter check
  • LiftingRiot
    Options

well this and a west Virginia thread are my only threads so yeah im very polarized but yeah i just had my last can of Alpo and the bunker is getting to quiet....i think i hear trespassers so brb gotta go do a perimeter check

Probably immigrants... got get em... merica!!!
  • zacharyzane91
    Options

nah i got a wall around my compound...its someone on the inside...someone i trusted
  • LiftingRiot
    Options

nah i got a wall around my compound...its someone on the inside...someone i trusted

It's a wall... not an impenetrable dome.. And your the only person in the compound. Get with it man...
  • zacharyzane91
    Options

It's a wall... not an impenetrable dome.. And your the only person in the compound. Get with it man...

i cant hear you over the cowbell!!! your not real!!!
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have a detailed map of where the Mormons live in my neighbourhood ;)

Seriously though, I spent almost every weekend of spring, summer and fall in the mountains riding my bike.

I love the outdoors and especially camping.
  • zacharyzane91
    Options
    Resistive wrote: »
    I have a detailed map of where the Mormons live in my neighbourhood ;)

Seriously though, I spent almost every weekend of spring, summer and fall in the mountains riding my bike.

I love the outdoors and especially camping.

mountain biking is something i really want to get into this summer