Exercise and Counting Calories

Options
I’m pretty new to this app and I was wondering was anybody else trying to consume few calories and you find out later you burned a ton of calories due to exercising during the day which result to having to change your overall goal for calories to make sure your eating enough for the day?

For example, 1200 to 1600 cal per day.

Replies

• libra93iw3563
    libra93iw3563 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that many estimates are too high. We generally recommend eating back only about half of your exercise calories.
  • Rita7Denise
    Rita7Denise Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about this. I wondered if not eating the calories exercised would help one lose weight faster?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about this. I wondered if not eating the calories exercised would help one lose weight faster?

Technically, yes, but it could also be unsustainable and lead to a binge. It could also put you at under the recommended daily minimum for women (1,200 calories), which can lead to a number of health issues.

As always, listen to the signals that your body is giving you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It will make you lose weight faster (because your deficit will be larger). But, faster weight loss isn't always better. MFP is already calculating a safe and sustainable deficit for you. If you make it larger, you run the risk of low energy, cravings, hunger, increased muscle loss, hair loss, or even problems with your gall bladder. If someone is already at a very low calorie goal (like 1,200 -- the one OP mentioned), they're almost certainly going to want to eat back at least some of their exercise calories to avoid the risk of failing to properly fuel themselves.