Healthy Side Dishes

Options
I'm looking for some recipes for healthy side dishes. I am tired of the same old same old.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How do you define "healthy"?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    How's this: https://feastingnotfasting.com/balsamic-roasted-veggies/

Do you have a calorie limit in mind? Macro/micro you want to hit? Allergies, stuff you love, stuff you hate?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    What's the same old? Last noon my wife and I had a side of canned spinach for a change.
  • jennym3563
    jennym3563 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Low calorie, low fat. No allergies and I don't hate any food. (guess that's why I'm trying to lose weight now :smiley: ) That recipe sounds great!!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I made zucchini in tomato-basil sauce this week:

From The Vegetarian Gourmet Cooks Low-Fat and Fast:

2 tsp olive oil
    1 c. chopped onion
    3 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1-lb can salt-free (or regular) tomatoes, chopped, undrained
    1 8oz can salt-free (or regular) tomato sauce
    1 tbsp sugar
    2 tsp dried basil
    1 tsp broth powder
    salt & pepper to taste
    3 medium zucchini, unpeeled, sliced crosswise into 1/4"-inch slices (about 4 cups).

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook 5 mins, stirring frequently.
    Add remaining ingredients except zucchini. When mixture boils, reduce heat slightly and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Add zucchini. When mixture returns to boil, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes, stirring several times until zucchini is tender-crisp.

6 servings

The book gives the following nutritional breakdown per serving (may vary depending on weight of veggies, brands of tomato products, etc.):

76 calories
    3 g protein
    2 g total fat (0 g sat fat)
    14 g carb
    35 mg sodium
    0 mg cholesterol

When I made it, I got:

azjsd807soqx.png

Like I said, the nutrition can vary, but not by all that much. The sodium is quite a bit higher, because I didn't go salt-free on the tomato products.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jennym3563 wrote: »
    Low calorie, low fat. No allergies and I don't hate any food. (guess that's why I'm trying to lose weight now :smiley: ) That recipe sounds great!!

Some of my favorite low calorie/low fat sides: I love roasted broccoli (I do mine without oil to save the calories) or cauliflower. I pan-cook sliced brussels sprouts in a pan with a little bit of Pam or water and then add dijon mustard at the end. I'll cook a whole bunch of kale or collards in my Instant Pot with a bit of salt, garlic, and chili flakes.
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Birds Eye California Blend veggies( broccoli, cauliflower and carrots) steamed. Just add a little black pepper or your favorite spices. Yummy! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Birds Eye California Blend veggies( broccoli, cauliflower and carrots) steamed. Just add a little black pepper or your favorite spices. Yummy! :)

I'm SO TIRED of frozen veggies after 5 years on MFP, lol.

I stock up on the seasoned type when it's on sale (Pictsweet, Green Giant). Sometimes it has sauce too but heck, at least it's satisfying to me compared to plain frozen veggies.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    homemade brocolli and cheese soup, progresso tomato rotini soup, various homemade veggie soups
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Vegetable soups are a great way to get your veggies. Love soup.
  • alydanbeads
    alydanbeads Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies... I love them all and they're super easy! I also really like cauliflower rice.