Trying To Cut Out Alcohol...HELP ME!

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could eat or drink when I get the urge to have alcohol?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what kind of alcohol you like. If I'm just wanting to sip on something, I'll have hot tea or coffee. If I'm wanting something bubbly or sweet, I'll do diet soda or some sparkling water.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what kind of alcohol you like. If I'm just wanting to sip on something, I'll have hot tea or coffee. If I'm wanting something bubbly or sweet, I'll do diet soda or some sparkling water.

^^^this
  • teknosprite
    teknosprite Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, to be honest, but I am trying to cut out/cut down on alcohol myself. For me its definitely habit (not physical), so I'm trying to find things to fill my time up. Like trying to go to the gym after work rather than having a drink ... but that's really hard. Trying then to go in the AM before work, get home a little later from work and then need to just stay busy until bed. I need more hobbies I guess! Let me know if you find something that works!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Other tips are that it helped me a lot to change up my routine and do things that didn't have such a strong association with doing them while drinking, if that's a possibility.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I liked wines, so it was helpful for me to make iced tea with a bunch of different flavors or combinations of flavor I liked and then drink it out of a wine glass so I could feel like I was having something special in the evening. I'm sure that would horrify some people, but it worked well for me.

I'd make the iced tea and chill it overnight, and I never added sugar since I don't like sweet iced tea (and never liked sweet wine).

Sparkling water and infused water (water with fruit in it) also helped; just something that felt more special than plain water.

I used to do this with diet coke - glad to know I'm not alone! :)
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am soon to be 4 yrs alcohol free and actual did the same with filling wine glass. I had the habit of always having a beer or wine or margarita in my hand. Good luck!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking 7 months ago and consider Kirkland’s sparking water my treat with dinner. I couldn’t lose weight with alcohol even though I logged it because I overate once or twice a week. Not the alcohol’s “fault”, but it did loosen up my inhibitions and affected my resolve.
  • fragileelegance
    fragileelegance Posts: 102 Member
    Options

I’m usually drinking tequila or red wine. I just had some coffee and it supressed the urge...thank you!

• fragileelegance
    Options
    I'm not sure, to be honest, but I am trying to cut out/cut down on alcohol myself. For me its definitely habit (not physical), so I'm trying to find things to fill my time up. Like trying to go to the gym after work rather than having a drink ... but that's really hard. Trying then to go in the AM before work, get home a little later from work and then need to just stay busy until bed. I need more hobbies I guess! Let me know if you find something that works!

Had some coffee and it took the urge away. I’ve been over eating to compensate for not having any liquor so I really need alternatives...I’ll let you know if anything else works but coffee worked for me (at least for today lol)
  • fragileelegance
    edited January 2018
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I stopped drinking 7 months ago and consider Kirkland’s sparking water my treat with dinner. I couldn’t lose weight with alcohol even though I logged it because I overate once or twice a week. Not the alcohol’s “fault”, but it did loosen up my inhibitions and affected my resolve.

I know what you mean, after the drink always comes the food. Ill look into the water, thanks!
  • tadiqueo
    tadiqueo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't drank in 3 months and lost 20 pounds without doing much more than walking regularly. Alcohol messes with your body's metabolism, swells your organs, and makes midnight eating irresistible. I was told to load up on B vitamins about an hour before my favorite times to drink to help with cravings. I don't know if it's a placebo, but I think it works. Good luck
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I’m usually drinking tequila or red wine. I just had some coffee and it supressed the urge...thank you!

There are nearly alcohol free wines out there...http://www.frewines.com/wines

Cooks Illustrated blurb regarding: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5445-dealcoholized-wine
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I learned from my friends in AA that once you cut out alcohol that many people develop a “sweet tooth” per say. That’s your body craving the sugar that was in the alcohol. So maybe try some healthy sweet treats. Fruit, Dole dippers, halo top, sweet rice cakes, etc.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    What about non-alcoholic beer and wine? It would give you the taste without the booze to help you cut back. I know a few people who have done this when they wanted to lessen their alcohol intake but still wanted the feeling of having a beer in their hand.
  • jlynn1991
    jlynn1991 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Tequila and red wine were my go to as well. I never had the goal to stop drinking but when I got serious about changing bad habits and stopped going out much it just sort of happened. Now I get stressed and think oh wine would be amazing right now, but instead I opt for flavored teas. There are sooo many teas out there! Once you realize how good you feel without alcohol and see the results in weight loss and overall self-being, it becomes much easier to say no.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could eat or drink when I get the urge to have alcohol?
    Admire you for getting a handle of what you feel is a problem. I can't even have one glass of wine cause it leads to two which leads to munchies :(
    Alcohol led to significant weight gain and now I don't do it I feel soooooo much better!
    I've gotten into ginger hot tea cause it is a nice pungent substitute!