Body dysmorphia

Options
evilpoptart63
evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
edited January 2018 in Motivation and Support
I know most people have physical traits they are unhappy with. I would assume that's normal... no one is perfect. I was wondering where the line is when you cross over from normal criticisms and wanting to change certain aspects to having actual disordered thinking. Is it when you exaggerate it in your head? For example: if you think something about yourself is disgusting...is it a normal thought if the trait is disgusting to the outside world? Is it only disordered if the trait isn't disgusting to anyone but you? Or is it unhealthy to believe any part of you is disgusting, even if others believe it is? Where do you think the line is?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    True body dismorphia is a serious problem that needs a professional diagnosis followed by treatment.

For what we mostly see on this forum.

I think nearly everyone has a little bit of it when they lose or gain weight initially, that is just the mind catching up with the body.

I think the problem becomes serious when one over focuses on their particular 'flaw'. Avoids social situations, tries to lose too much weight to get rid of 'flaw', over exercises to get rid of it.

On here, MFP, it is more often someone trying to achieve a body shape that isn't genetically possible, an over fixation (think bubble butt or thigh gap) or as stated above, the mind catching up with the body.

(Mine could be an over fixation of my belly, I'm an apple, with a B-belly.

I would have to lose below healthy to lose that extra layer of double jiggle, or exercise to a level that would impact my social life, and probably mental health.

Instead I have accepted I am a different shape than people who are pears, or even D- belly apples.
    I don't wear belts, dress to suit my body, and really don't care what anyone thinks when I wear a bikini. I do still wish it were different, but don't worry about it.)

Cheers, h.
  • evilpoptart63
    Options
    I think im smelling what your selling... so its mainly a problem when you have unrealistic expectations of what your body should look like and put an extreme amount of effort to get there?

My problem is my stomach too so I can definitely relate! It sounds like you have developed a very healthy relationship with your perceived flaw! Thats a great way to look at it
  • evilpoptart63
    Options
    Thank you so much for clearing that up! I have a lot of random thoughts and that was something that crossed my mind earlier since Im sure basically everyone (especially here!) Has parts of themselves they want to change. I definitely fixate but its probably within the realms of normal.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    not dysmorphic. however, i had a conversation years ago with a woman who was, and she was very forthcoming and generous about trying to explain it to me.

waht she told me was that it wasn't just 'emotional' for her. she had times when she literally couldn't see what her body or parts of it looked like in an objective fashion. she said that when she was significantly underweight she would have some days where she could perceive it, and then others where she'd look at an arm or a leg and perceive it as huge. i'm not going to go down the dismissive route of 'gee, sounds almost like some kind of neurological glitch', i.e. a disorder where the person's brain is unreliable about interpreting the information that the eyes send. but certainly what she described to me did sound like it even if it's probably simplistic to assume that the cause is just that.

anyway, i found it really interesting and i'm still appreciative of her for taking the time. up until then i had always thought that the statements i'd heard from dysmorphic people were primarily emotional expressions. they'd say 'i'm [x]' and i'd automatically assume that what they were "really" saying was 'i FEEL [x]'. so i'd dismiss them, because don'tcha know, i know better than them and so on. but come to find out - according to this woman at least - that was wrong. it was 'no. i literally, physically SEE x if i look at myself.'

i don't know if this woman was typical or very unusual, but i do know she schooled me out of certain forms of smugness and into a more shut-up-and-listen type mode about it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @hist_doc, thank you so much for coming forward and giving a personal description of what Body Dismorphic Disorder is.

If possible, could you post a link to a site, that you find informative, which explains BDD.

@canadianlbs, thanks for sharing your conversation, very insightful.

Cheers, h.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I've started to conquer my BDD thanks to a therapist I had a while back.

For me, there were a few days where I could go and say I looked fine, and then there are other days I would be so fixated on certain parts of my body that it's all I would think about. My nose and my belly are usually the ones that I fixate on.
    I often think my nose is too big or too pointy and I keep saying that I would get surgery if I could to change it. I have two different shaped nostrils and some days I feel like everyone can see it. People have said that there's nothing wrong with my nose. And I try to believe them, but I always think there is or I would create a problem with my nose.

But I keep telling myself that it's my nose and no one else's, and there's nothing wrong with it.

My belly is just a place I've always disliked. Sometimes, at my smallest weight, I still thought it was huge. All my weight goes to my belly and hips, I also have wide set hips which makes it worse. There are still days where I think everyone can see my stomach, they're all looking at it and making fun of it. I even think of it at the gym sometimes! I've had days where I would completely shut down because of my weight. I wouldn't leave my bed or let anyone see me.

A main thing I've started doing and really enjoying is leaving the house without makeup. Some people say it's easy but I used to never leave the house without makeup on. Even if I was just going to the shop I had to have makeup on. I hated how I looked without it. Now I've started to careless and leave without it, especially when it comes to the gym. Eyeliner and sweat is not a good mix.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    As a couple posters have given insight into it, body dysmorphic feelings become a clinical condition when they interfere with a person's ability to function in their life and make rational decisions. Same thing applies to a lot of different 'psychosis'. Auditory hallucinations, for example. Hearing voices that aren't there, in and of itself, is not sufficient to diagnose someone as having a disorder. It has to progress to a point where the person is driven to distraction by the voices and can't cope with them, or if the voices tell them to do inadvisable or unacceptable things and they comply. There are actually people who get along very well with the voices in their heads.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch, one website that has personal stories and accounts of struggles is bddfoundation.org.
    For what it’s worth, I remember having symptoms as young as six. I recall my aunt crimping my hair one day and seemingly out of nowhere I peered down at the fold at the top of my arm. I was a super skinny kid, but that fold just at the armpit bothered me. That’s my first recollection of when I started pinching my skin almost as if to measure it. I just remember freaking out and not wanting it there. My aunt laughed and said “even Christie brinkley” has skin fold like that! Over the years it became one of many rituals—both conscious and subconscious. I still catch myself pinching my flesh for no reason when I get very stressed or anxious.
    I don’t need to dwell, but I appreciate you opening the discussion OP.