What is a bad food choice??

Options
TeachergirlCeleste
TeachergirlCeleste Posts: 66 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
For lunch, I had a footlong roast beef sub sandwich from subway. I had veggies and oil and vinegar and mustard for the topping. I was reading that roast beef contains less sodium. I did not eat breakfast this morning and was extremely hungry. The sub sandwich has made me full enough and I will not have dinner tonight. I am going to drink water for the rest of the day and do a 45-minute workout once it digests. Is this an ok food choice? I count calories on fitbit and the sub fit into my calorie range

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why would you not eat anything else during the day? That's the only bad food choice I see here.

This
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    No food is good or bad. It just fits into your daily goal and keeps you feeling satiated or it doesn't.
    I would think that a foot long sub isn't enough for a whole day though? Is it a 1200 calorie sandwich?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    For weight loss purposes, calories are all that matter.

For health purposes, focus on hitting your protein goal and try to have at least a few good servings of fruit and veggies to meet your micronutrient needs. Otherwise, don't sweat it. Humans are incredibly adaptable and can thrive on a variety of dietary choices.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I'm getting 750 calories for the described sub on their calorie calculator:

https://www.nutritionix.com/subway/nutrition-calculator

You're worrying too much. :D
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I don't have any bad food choices. Neither should anyone else as long as they are not under eating their calorie MFP gave them to lose weight. :wink:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why don't you have a regular dinner?
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    This just made me want a subway ...
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Actually a bad food choice is something you don't like, is not healthy and you have no idea why you're eating it, but you do anyway
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My green smoothie is a lot of protein, fat, fiber, and near 500 calories. What's yours?
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    For me a bad food choice would be shellfish - mainly due to anaphylaxis.

Otherwise I eat within my calories, try to hit my protein, and enjoy my food.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Kale
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    A bad food choice is one that doesn't provide the nutrition or satiety for the calories, and hence triggers eating over your calorie goal.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    I think a bad food choice is something eaten in frequency and portion size so much that it derails your goals.

Ie 20 cream buns is your daily diet - unlikely to fit within anyone's calorie goal and certainly won't be balanced nutrition.

But one cream bun on occasion could fit in fine.

Can't see why one foot long beef subway wouldn't - not huge in calories and reasonable balance of nutrition.

Nothing wrong with green smoothies either, although they are not my thing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    A bad food choice is one that keeps you consistently overeating, consistently under eating, or consistently low on nutrient variety and quality (keyword is "consistently", a day here or there where one of these things happens is okay). A bad food choice could also be something you don't like or don't enjoy, so it's basically a waste of calories (and yes, that applies to smoothies and meal replacements if you would rather have something else).

I'm curious, why do you think the sub was a bad choice? It helped you feel full, it has a nice balance of all 3 macros, and since you didn't have breakfast it's likely calorie appropriate. This sounds like a perfectly good choice to me. The only bad food choice, if it were me, would be that sad dinner. I would not want to have a green smoothie for dinner unless it was the most amazing tasting smoothie in the world and I were in the mood for a dinner smoothie. If you enjoy it and it's exactly what you feel like having for dinner, then that too was a good choice provided you didn't end up too low on calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I forgot to add that I drink homemade green smoothies as a meal supplement for dinner

i hope your smoothie was about 600 cals, or you are massively undereating