Met calorie goals but very hungry

Options
azkabanned
azkabanned Posts: 79 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I’ve lived the 1200cal life before, and didn’t find it very hard last time but I’m constantly hungry on my 2018 diet.

Especially on the days I go to restorative hot yoga (which doesn’t burn many calories because it’s just stretching and meditation). Any solutions?! Do I just drink water and get used to being hungry all the time :(

Replies

• azkabanned
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    One observation: you're usually fairly low on fat and protein, and you tend to consume most of your protein in one meal. Lots of people (although not everyone) find protein and fat to be satiating, so they feel less hungry when they eat more fat and/or protein and space it out more evenly throughout the day.

Thanks for the input! I might add some Greek yogurt to my other meals, since I definitely am having trouble hitting my macros.
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    What Alice said...

Also, how have you come to the 1200 calorie goal? Unless you are shorter than average that goal may be too aggressive, especially if you are not eating back exercise calories. On top of upping your fat and protein I'd reconsider your deficit too. If it is set at a 2 pound a week loss change it to 1. If it is set at 1 pound a week change it to 0.5 pounds. Long term you are better off losing slowing, in a sustainable manner. This is reduce the hungries, the binging and the giving up because it is too hard.

It gave me 1200 when I set it to 2lb a week (which already feels slow to me). I’m 5’8, so a little taller than average. If upping my protein doesn’t help with the hunger, I’ll definitely reevaluate the weekly goal but I don’t want to step back yet.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    As for your hunger, when I was losing weight, I would drink coffee (maximum 2 cups) and green tea, that helped curb my appetite for awhile, I drank a lot of carbonated water too.
  • dcinthesummer
    dcinthesummer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    In same boat as you tonight! My calorie levels are closer to 1400 though. I'm going to make some tea. Agree with the above posters that 1200 unless you were very sedentary and no taller than 5 feet is probably not enough calories
  • azkabanned
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    As for your hunger, when I was losing weight, I would drink coffee (maximum 2 cups) and green tea, that helped curb my appetite for awhile, I drank a lot of carbonated water too.
    Oooo I don’t drink coffee anymore but will try green tea to curb appetite while my body adjusts to fewer calories.
    In same boat as you tonight! My calorie levels are closer to 1400 though. I'm going to make some tea. Agree with the above posters that 1200 unless you were very sedentary and no taller than 5 feet is probably not enough calories

I’m as sedentary as one can get unfortunately, desk work 10 hours a day, haven’t been to a gym in 8 years (since mandatory phys ed in highschool). I have an elliptical at home that I’m using now though :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    2lb a week loss per week might be too much for you (without knowing your stats). Try 1lb loss per week and that'll give you another 500 calories just like that :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2lb a week loss per week might be too much for you (without knowing your stats). Try 1lb loss per week and that'll give you another 500 calories just like that :smile:

5ft8 and 128lbs if i remember rightly from another thread
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

And in regards to OP stats recomp is more your answer as you're underweight for your height by the sound of it.
  • Angie_au
    Angie_au Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Am in the same boat! Was eating 1500 cal a day but not losing anything. Changed to 1200 this week and feeling quite hungry all the time :neutral:
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    So your under eating and asking why your hungry?

You don't weigh enough to be safely trying to lose 2lb a week
    Aim for 0.5 a week and look into body recomposition, your an ideal candidate for it
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

is this right OP? you are 5'8" 128 lbs and trying to lose weight? and 2 lbs per week at that? how much are you trying to lose? your BMI is already at the lower and of the healthy range.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

is this right OP? you are 5'8" 128 lbs and trying to lose weight? and 2 lbs per week at that? how much are you trying to lose? your BMI is already at the lower and of the healthy range.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/41221427#Comment_41221427
  • azkabanned
    Options
    Angie_au wrote: »
    Am in the same boat! Was eating 1500 cal a day but not losing anything. Changed to 1200 this week and feeling quite hungry all the time :neutral:

I’m doing the opposite and upping my calories today!! 1500 I feel is super doable with the right foods :)

The hunger with 1200cal was manageable except when I did very light hot yoga...burned almost no calories but made me veryyyy hungry
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'8", though I've never been as light as the OP, and I would gnaw my own arm off if I had to stay at 1200 calories a day. I never made it below 1400 calories/day and even then I was not pleasant to be around. 1500 calories sounds much more doable.