Injury or arthritis?

Options
So I’ve been exercising 30 minutes every day by walking on a treadmill at 2 MPH (which is slloooww) and somehow my hips and ankles are hurting. It’s at the point of limping and the feeling that my legs might buckle. I have not done anything atypical or strenuous, I am 50 pounds over weight and 30 years old. Any ideas of what is causing this? It does seem like the joint pain is switching sides, one day one side is worse than the next day the other side is worse.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    If you have just started take a step back and do alternate days working your way up to a comfortable 30 min.

Also, check your footwear. If your runners are old, or worn for daily activities, get new ones specific for walking, not running.

Go to a sport footwear shop and get your gait analyzed and shoes fitted.

If this doesn't solve the problem, see the doctor or a PT.

cheers, h.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ^^This. Pace yourself and build up gradually. Also, consider walking outside and see if that feels better. The treadmill could be forcing you into an unnatural gait. Good job to get started walking!
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    shoe check!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    hips AND ankles sounds like a potential mobility/shoe thing. but really, arthritis can happen to anyone, at any age. i know nothing about osteo, but here are some things to keep in mind for rheumatoid, just in case:

- stiffer/more painful in the mornings and improve with movement.
    - fever, heat, swelling; anything that indicates an immune reaction
    - general exhaustion. like, sleep like it's your job all day long and wake up with enough energy to brush half your teeth before you feel wiped out again.
    - pain INSIDE the joints. as opposed to pain from the muscles and tissue around them.
    - anything like dry mouth, dry eyes, e.g. water burns if it gets in your eyes, tongue feels like a dried-out washcloth, even mild food is uncomfortable. this could be sjogrens which can go along with r.a.
    - anaemia (absent other causative factors)

if anything like this is happening or if it just goes on for too long, i'd see a doctor. it's not especially likely, but doesn't hurt to get checked out.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    shoe check!

I was wondering about this...I also think it might be a combo of shoe and arthritis
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you're going unnaturally slow that can cause additional stress.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    Or too much incline when you aren't used to it. Give it time.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Or too much incline when you aren't used to it. Give it time.

I’ve not been using any incline. I think I’m going to not exercise for today, use Epsom salts for my ankles, switch sneakers and resume tomorrow