How to lose weight with the Depo shot

Options
I've been on the Depo shot for 2 years now. I've managed to gain 35 pounds. Any tips on how to jumpstart losing weight? I'm sure it will take time.

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    the same way one would lose when they are not on depo - through a sustained calorie deficit.
  • clo239
    clo239 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was on depo shot for years, got off it to have a baby... went back on it while in excellent fit condition and gained weight regardless to activity and diet. Took about 6-8 months for my hormones to adjust to the shot again and then the weight cane back off. I did a lot of research and found if you switch birth control it can actually get worse rather than better so I stuck it out. No problems now
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My best friend and roommate is naturally thin and gained 30lbs on the depo shot and she eats exactly the same way she did when she was thin and has the same activity level.

She may lose 5 to 8 every now and then when she's really not eating much, but for the most part her weight stays around 160ish now. She went from always being around 132lbs to 162lbs like almost overnight and granted she's still in the normal bmi range at 5'10 but she still doesn't like that a shot can make you gain that much weight and you have the same eating habits as before. I'm a little baffled myself and it makes me wonder slightly about CICO.

• cristie
    cristie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 lbs on Depo as well. I feel like it’s all in my stomach where I’ve never gained before. I’ve always had a flat stomach and I feel like now it’s all there. I don’t eat any red meat, never have and don’t feel like I’m eating any differently. Not saying that i eat 100% healthy, i don’t, but no differently than Pre Depo.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It baffles me that women can be so nasty to one another. These threads are not meant for women to spout rude comments to one another. But rather, for women who are truly experiencing REAL issues seeking other women going through the same thing. You cannot tell a stranger that they are not experiencing something... How do you know?

All I know, is that I am an athletic woman who works out consistently and eats a healthy consistent diet. And over a 7 month period of time experienced a 10 pound weight gain doing nothing differently... Except taking the depo shot.

How many calories are you eating while you gained this weight? If weight was gained without excess calories it would only be water weight, if you have excessive water weight you should see your doctor.

There is also a possibility that the shot could cause your non exercise activities to decrease without you noticing.