Feeling discouraged :(

Hey guys. So I’m on a 1,500 calorie plan. And have been following it strictly. I workout five out of the seven days. The app says I should be losing about 2lbs per week, which in total makes it about 8 pounds. I know all our bodies are different. But still, am I doing something wrong? Should I be doing more cardio? I’ve been lifting lots of weights, and do see some progress. Areas becoming more toned. Especially my arms. I’m wondering if my muscle growth is stunting my weight loss. Should I focus on losing the weight, then getting toned? Or keep doing, what I’ve been doing? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 5’8 170 lbs (Currently). Thanks so much.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited January 2018
    You likely aren't gaining muscle on 1500 calories. But you should still be lifting to retain as much muscle as possible while you lose. That said, at your size you're better off aiming for a pound per week.
  • Calculate your TDEE. A daily deficit of 500kcal will help you lose a pound a week. So to lose 2 pounds a week, you need to keep a deficit of 1000kcal compared to your TDEE. I don't know your age and gender, but assuming you are a 30 y.o. male, with a sedentary lifestyle, your TDEE is around 2050 i.e. you need to have a net intake of 1050 to meet your 2lb/week target. Aim to burn every calorie of your intake over 1050 i.e. if you are eating 1500kcal, aim to burn 450kcal every day.

I've lost 100lb in 11 months (including a recent slowdown) using this method.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You don't have enough weight to lose have a 1000 calorie deficit.

Do you weigh your food with scales?

How much have you lost so far?
  • LynzLovesCheese
    LynzLovesCheese Posts: 18 Member
    mtiatono wrote: »
    Hey guys. So I’m on a 1,500 calorie plan. And have been following it strictly. I workout five out of the seven days. The app says I should be losing about 2lbs per week, which in total makes it about 8 pounds. I know all our bodies are different. But still, am I doing something wrong? Should I be doing more cardio? I’ve been lifting lots of weights, and do see some progress. Areas becoming more toned. Especially my arms. I’m wondering if my muscle growth is stunting my weight loss. Should I focus on losing the weight, then getting toned? Or keep doing, what I’ve been doing? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 5’8 170 lbs (Currently). Thanks so much.

Have you lost any weight since you started?

How often are you weighing yourself? (aim for the same day / same time of the week to weight in... and no more than 1 time per week) Our weight fluctuates so much throughout the day.. so weighing too frequently can sometimes be discouraging, seeing that number bounce all over the place.

Are you drinking plenty of water? Especially if you are lifting, and building muscle, and if they are sore - you want to stay plenty hydrated... our bodies will something put on a few pounds of water weight if we do an intense strength training session...
    And if you can.. try to add in some cardio too... a well rounded exercise routine (cardio and weights) is usually best.

Keep going though! Don't give up!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Calculate your TDEE. A daily deficit of 500kcal will help you lose a pound a week. So to lose 2 pounds a week, you need to keep a deficit of 1000kcal compared to your TDEE. I don't know your age and gender, but assuming you are a 30 y.o. male, with a sedentary lifestyle, your TDEE is around 2050 i.e. you need to have a net intake of 1050 to meet your 2lb/week target. Aim to burn every calorie of your intake over 1050 i.e. if you are eating 1500kcal, aim to burn 450kcal every day.

TDEE includes exercise. MFP's calculations are based on NEAT, which doesn't. And the OP should NOT eat 1050 net calories.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Good info above. We don't know enough on your size/weight/etc.
    Also you say you're seeing changes - that can mean more than the scale.
    MEASURE
    TAKE PICTURES
    These things matter too Weight is only part of the full health pic
    Congrats on the consistency so far
  • malibu927 wrote: »
    Calculate your TDEE. A daily deficit of 500kcal will help you lose a pound a week. So to lose 2 pounds a week, you need to keep a deficit of 1000kcal compared to your TDEE. I don't know your age and gender, but assuming you are a 30 y.o. male, with a sedentary lifestyle, your TDEE is around 2050 i.e. you need to have a net intake of 1050 to meet your 2lb/week target. Aim to burn every calorie of your intake over 1050 i.e. if you are eating 1500kcal, aim to burn 450kcal every day.

TDEE includes exercise. MFP's calculations are based on NEAT, which doesn't. And the OP should NOT eat 1050 net calories.

A. TDEE includes an activity factor...which can be negligible or high. So it doesn't always include exercise.

B. I don't see where I am advising the OP to eat 1050kcal. All I said was if the OP's TDEE (without exercise) was 2050kcal, then to lose 2lb/week, a deficit of 1000kcal is required. This can be achieved by eating only 1050kcal (which is NOT what I recommended) or by eating more abd exercising enough to burn the excess over 1050kcal (which is what I did, and it helped me lose over 100lb...so I'd say it probably works). As I said the TDEE and desired net intake depends on the person's physical characteristics as well as goals.

C. You do realize you were insinuating stuff I never said, right?