New lifting shoes

Hey guys, I’m currently thinking about spending some real money on a pair of lifting shoes. Double strap and nice solid heel. I currently have Adidas CrossFit lifters but I’ve worn them down fairly well and they just don’t fit right anymore.

I’ve been looking at a pair of Reebok Legacy Lifters since they have some pretty great reviews. Solid 2cm heel which is slightly more than the average lifter so absolutely no complaints. Along with the double strap.

Has anyone given these a try or found another great pair that you just couldn’t do without while training?

Replies

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    I have Do-win’s from Rogue. Not flashy but cheaper and hit all the main points. The also tend to run a bit wider so nice if wider foot. I’ve had mine around 6 months and still look new, but only wear the 2-3 times a week for couple of hours.

I do not like any of the Sabo line. They rust anywhere there is metal and just generally cheaply made.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    For squatting heavy I like love got
    A pair of addipowers, only single strap
    But a great shoe. For all other gym work
    I generally use a pair of metcons, they just seem
    To fit me well
  • kathiag96
    kathiag96 Posts: 4 Member
    I have Nike Metcons and I love them.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    You can try Rogue fitness for lifting shoes at a good price. If you are doing deadlifts then it's probably best to go with a flat shoe, chucks are popular and cheap, or a pair lifting slippers or just plain socks will do well. I'm currently using Reebok lifters 2.0 but I don't know that they are any better than the chucks TBH.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I wear Adidas Leistungs for squats and bench. ♥ them! The lacing system is awesome. So quick on and off. One inch heel height, higher than most other shoes. They are not cheap, though.

ltq0kz532q65.jpg

For deadlifts, I have standard Converse.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    While I personally own a pair of lifting shoes (nothing I'd recommend, I just liked the colors), I've found that the benefit I can get from the shoes can be offset if I just spend more time working on calf and hip flexor mobility. Sorry for the tangent...

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast

Yeah, I’m getting mine for actual powerlifting and training. To compete in meets. So they are pretty invaluable for myself. Especially with a hip flexor injury. Has to be a reason why practically every powerlifter and Olympic lifter wear them.

• jessef593
    Thanks guys I was taking a look at rogue fitness as well. People don’t seem to mind those shoes either. I’ll take a look at the adipowers and other shoes mentioned!
  • Wheelhouse15
    jessef593 wrote: »
    While I personally own a pair of lifting shoes (nothing I'd recommend, I just liked the colors), I've found that the benefit I can get from the shoes can be offset if I just spend more time working on calf and hip flexor mobility. Sorry for the tangent...

Allan Misner

Yeah, I’m getting mine for actual powerlifting and training. To compete in meets. So they are pretty invaluable for myself. Especially with a hip flexor injury. Has to be a reason why practically every powerlifter and Olympic lifter wear them.

It's easier for most people to have an elevated heel when squatting since most people don't have the flexibility in their Achilles tendons etc. Since every Olympic lift involves both a squat and a deadlift then it's a natural fit to be using an elevated heel shoe.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    I've tried a few pairs, some reebok crossfit lifter I can't remember the name of but didn't like at all, innov-8 fastlift 335's, Nike Romaleo 2's and Nike Romaleo 3's.

Overall the Nike Romaleo 2's are by far my favorite lifter for snatch, clean and jerk and squats. They feel like your wearing anchors which takes a bit to get used to but i've grown to love that sturdy feel. I never Olympic lift in anything else these days.

I also like the Romaleo 3's and if I was using the shoe as more of a multi purpose lifter (not just olympic weightlifting) this might be the route i'd take but for Olympic lifting they just don't feel quite as sturdy as the 2's to me. I tried to get used to them but reverted back to the 2's.

I liked the the innov-8's for crossfit WOD's with a fair amount of lifting because they still had enough flexibility to do other crossfit movements than strictly lifts but I wouldn't purchase this shoe if you're looking to use the shoe exclusively for lifting.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2018

Allan Misner

Reason is stability and arch support of a good lifting shoe is invaluable in skilled lifts where heavy weights are involved.

Besides there is zero data shows stretching or mobilty work has permanent benefit nor is better than a proper warm up of the lift itself. In fact, stretching could have a slight ill effect when it comes to competition style lifts. Some people get the placebo effect or enjoy doing so far whatever reason they feel it could benefit them. I can think of a thousand other things I rather spend my time doing.

OP what lifts do you plan on using shoes for?

That can narrow down your options.

*edit as I see powerlifting meet

Nike Romaleos 3 (narrow feet)
    Adidas powerlift 3(wide feet)

...are two shoes I hear only good things.

• jessef593
    Guys I know why we wear them haha. I was merely commenting on the one posters post about simply increasing my mobility. Some people can only increase their mobility so far. Which is why I mentioned them being invaluable in lifting. Thanks for all the more suggestions!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Guys I know why we wear them haha. I was merely commenting on the one posters post about simply increasing my mobility. Some people can only increase their mobility so far. Which is why I mentioned them being invaluable in lifting. Thanks for all the more suggestions!

I just wear them cause all the cool kids do.
  • jessef593

I just wear them cause all the cool kids do.

Plus Velcro straps. Soooo much more convenient. I knew learning to tie my shoes was a waste of time
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited January 2018
    I've got a pair of VS Athletics lifting shoes that I bought years ago.

They are not well known but are still cheap (at $85 less than 1/2 the price of Reeboks and Adidas) and well rated. Not the "best" nor the worst. Simply a very well made shoe at a reasonable price. They also have double velcro straps BTW.

See:
    https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/the-5-best-olympic-weightlifting-shoes-for-lifting-and-crossfit

That said, I hardly ever wear them any more.

I now just lift in an old pair of Uggs which have a hard flat sole w/a very minor 1/4" rise from front to back. Closest thing to lifting barefoot that I know.

Bought a cheap $55 pair of Converse Chuck Taylors that some people love for lifting but they never suited me.

They just sit unused and unloved under my GHR because I vastly prefer the more comfortable and totally constrained feel of the fleece lined Uggs for my heavy lifting.

Really just comes down to personal preference but you don't have to pay $200 on a pair of shoes to lift well.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Hey guys, I’m currently thinking about spending some real money on a pair of lifting shoes. Double strap and nice solid heel. I currently have Adidas CrossFit lifters but I’ve worn them down fairly well and they just don’t fit right anymore.

I’ve been looking at a pair of Reebok Legacy Lifters since they have some pretty great reviews. Solid 2cm heel which is slightly more than the average lifter so absolutely no complaints. Along with the double strap.

Has anyone given these a try or found another great pair that you just couldn’t do without while training?

Hylete is releasing their new exercise shoe and it looks great, ships in Feb and they're giving pre-orders a big discount. Their exercise clothes are excellent, imagine their shoes will be too.
  • Wheelhouse15
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »

Hylete is releasing their new exercise shoe and it looks great, ships in Feb and they're giving pre-orders a big discount. Their exercise clothes are excellent, imagine their shoes will be too.

Do you have a link? Most general manufacturers aren't particularly good at lifting shoes because it's very specialized. The crossfit shoes are generally ok but not great.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member

Do you have a link? Most general manufacturers aren't particularly good at lifting shoes because it's very specialized. The crossfit shoes are generally ok but not great.

Other than a picture I didn't see it on their site. Here's the link they sent me via email, it might work for you.

https://www.hylete.com/circuit-cross-training-shoe-black-cool-gray?utm_campaign=product+-+pre-order+ends+soon+-+cross-training+shoe+%281%2F8%2F18%29+%28HTF9U7%29&utm_medium=email&_ke=bmlja2pheTc3QGdtYWlsLmNvbQ%3D%3D&utm_source=All+Customers+%28Master+Segment%29
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I have the reebok 2.0 with the 1 strap
  • Wheelhouse15

Other than a picture I didn't see it on their site. Here's the link they sent me via email, it might work for you.

https://www.hylete.com/circuit-cross-training-shoe-black-cool-gray?utm_campaign=product+-+pre-order+ends+soon+-+cross-training+shoe+%281%2F8%2F18%29+%28HTF9U7%29&utm_medium=email&_ke=bmlja2pheTc3QGdtYWlsLmNvbQ%3D%3D&utm_source=All+Customers+%28Master+Segment%29

Thanks!