Ketogenic

Options
2»

Replies

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am following a low carb diet plus tracking my calories. Keto is a little strict for me. I feel fine but a bit miserable this evening, I've run out of cream and had to put milk in my coffee.... :(
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I tried keto before I knew I had a certain health issue and it made me very very ill, and Im not talking keto flu. I have a health issue where my body cannot properly process fats and cholesterol.once I stopped I started improving. I have to eat a low fat diet which means often I eat a high amount of carbs. I lost 45 lbs eating less calories than I burned(CICO). my health markers improved .

I have RA(rheumatoid arthritis) and have no issues with carbs causing flare ups or anything else.what helped my arthritis when I was first diagnosed was lifting weights. so far I have not needed meds and its been more than 10 years since I was diagnosed. I definitely did not lose more weight doing keto than I did eating the way I am now. I lost more water weight sure. heck this past week I lost 3 lbs.which Im sure some of it was water weight.

if someone wants to try keto thats fine. but its not sustainable for everyone and not everyones body can run on ketones safely either.I know I was in ketosis and for me I did have the bad breath and the stinky awful sweat. some people may not experience that. I also dont eat krispy kreme donuts either. most of my carbs are fruits,veggies,whole grains and so on.
  • TaraEdVan
    TaraEdVan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am on week three of the Keto diet and here is what I will say:

1. I did A LOT of my own research and I mean A LOT. I heard about it and I saw it gave great weight loss results but when I started researching there was so much more than weight loss. My viewpoint switched. I researched the good, the bad and the ugly. Watched a lot of youtube videos with people who were successful and people who were not (including people who gained weight on the keto diet).

2. Keto is not for everyone because of how restrictive it is. You need to be in the mind set of this is for HEALTH not WEIGHT LOSS. Once you do it for health, there are things you start to understand, the science behind certain things, how your body reacts to certain things, how it doesn't react. Can you be a part-time "keto-er"? Maybe paleo is what you need to do, or maybe nothing at all and just plain old look at your eating habits and cutting out little by little. Only you can know it - and you can ask people as many questions as you want but you need to know what you are willing to change. I have tried dieting a billion times including just plain old cutting stuff out and I am finding that keto is sticking for me, not even sure why, it just is.

3. Like every other diet, this cannot be a diet but a lifestyle change. I did not do a "clean house" when I started. I have 3 girls who are pre-teen and teenagers, I want to live to see tomorrow. But I did put limitations on myself. I bought what I needed to succeed and I also informed by family what I was doing. Sent my husband some youtube videos on the good and the bad and told him that I don't expect my family to eat that way but I will be preparing the meat dishes "keto" (which I was doing anyway - so it really isn't much of a difference, I just didn't know there was a name to it".

4. You better like cooking and you better like preparing because you will encounter food everyday and you cannot avoid it so you better be prepared to draw your line or in the very least figure out alternatives on the fly.

5. So what you had a donut from Tim Horton's and you are possible kicked out of ketosis. Worse things are happening in the world so don't sweat it. Just start over again. At lot of the videos I watched were basically stop beating yourself up about food. We live in a world were food is seriously over-stimulated by everything and in everything. You cannot possibly be perfect.

6. Lastly, if you really want to do the keto diet, make it work for you, not the other way around. I am not zero sugar, I am low sugar, which is better than the mounds of sugar and refined carbs I was eating before. My daughter and I go out for breakfast every single Sunday and I get this taco breakfast dish with fried squared potatoes and I love love love it. I tell me not to bring me the toast or eggs (don't need too much protein) and I look at it as it's better than the French toast with powdered sugar and mounds of syrup (that's not even maple syrup) that I would have ordered so what, they are fried potatoes....

I guess what I am trying to say in this long-winded response is in the end, you need to live period and what does that mean to you and how can you live but still be healthy and it being something you can stick to. I love doing this keto diet but I also understand I am working it, it's not working me.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    TaraEdVan wrote: »
    I am on week three of the Keto diet and here is what I will say:

1. I did A LOT of my own research and I mean A LOT. I heard about it and I saw it gave great weight loss results but when I started researching there was so much more than weight loss. My viewpoint switched. I researched the good, the bad and the ugly. Watched a lot of youtube videos with people who were successful and people who were not (including people who gained weight on the keto diet).

2. Keto is not for everyone because of how restrictive it is. You need to be in the mind set of this is for HEALTH not WEIGHT LOSS. Once you do it for health, there are things you start to understand, the science behind certain things, how your body reacts to certain things, how it doesn't react. Can you be a part-time "keto-er"? Maybe paleo is what you need to do, or maybe nothing at all and just plain old look at your eating habits and cutting out little by little. Only you can know it - and you can ask people as many questions as you want but you need to know what you are willing to change. I have tried dieting a billion times including just plain old cutting stuff out and I am finding that keto is sticking for me, not even sure why, it just is.

3. Like every other diet, this cannot be a diet but a lifestyle change. I did not do a "clean house" when I started. I have 3 girls who are pre-teen and teenagers, I want to live to see tomorrow. But I did put limitations on myself. I bought what I needed to succeed and I also informed by family what I was doing. Sent my husband some youtube videos on the good and the bad and told him that I don't expect my family to eat that way but I will be preparing the meat dishes "keto" (which I was doing anyway - so it really isn't much of a difference, I just didn't know there was a name to it".

4. You better like cooking and you better like preparing because you will encounter food everyday and you cannot avoid it so you better be prepared to draw your line or in the very least figure out alternatives on the fly.

5. So what you had a donut from Tim Horton's and you are possible kicked out of ketosis. Worse things are happening in the world so don't sweat it. Just start over again. At lot of the videos I watched were basically stop beating yourself up about food. We live in a world were food is seriously over-stimulated by everything and in everything. You cannot possibly be perfect.

6. Lastly, if you really want to do the keto diet, make it work for you, not the other way around. I am not zero sugar, I am low sugar, which is better than the mounds of sugar and refined carbs I was eating before. My daughter and I go out for breakfast every single Sunday and I get this taco breakfast dish with fried squared potatoes and I love love love it. I tell me not to bring me the toast or eggs (don't need too much protein) and I look at it as it's better than the French toast with powdered sugar and mounds of syrup (that's not even maple syrup) that I would have ordered so what, they are fried potatoes....

I guess what I am trying to say in this long-winded response is in the end, you need to live period and what does that mean to you and how can you live but still be healthy and it being something you can stick to. I love doing this keto diet but I also understand I am working it, it's not working me.

Did your research involve looking at peer reviewed studies, or just youtube videos? Because from what I have read, there is not weight loss or health benefit to keto over other ways of eating in people without medical conditions.

Also, I'm glad you like it but at 3 weeks in you can hardly speak to your adherence or long-term success.
  • TaraEdVan
    TaraEdVan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Did your research involve looking at peer reviewed studies, or just youtube videos? Because from what I have read, there is not weight loss or health benefit to keto over other ways of eating in people without medical conditions.

Also, I'm glad you like it but at 3 weeks in you can hardly speak to your adherence or long-term success.[/quote]

I can only speak from my own experience, even at week 3. All I am trying to say (without sounding like I am going to Keto chuch because I don't think I sounded like that) is that you need to do what is right for you and you need to research what you want to do whether it be Keto, just plain old CICO or nothing. Either way, you need to do what is right for you. I found what I feel is right for me. I am not asking anyone to join me. Just giving an opinion.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Also, I'm glad you like it but at 3 weeks in you can hardly speak to your adherence or long-term success.

I can only speak from my own experience, even at week 3. All I am trying to say (without sounding like I am going to Keto chuch because I don't think I sounded like that) is that you need to do what is right for you and you need to research what you want to do whether it be Keto, just plain old CICO or nothing. Either way, you need to do what is right for you. I found what I feel is right for me. I am not asking anyone to join me. Just giving an opinion.
    [/quote]

keto is still CICO. you still have to be in a deficit of calories with keto or you wont lose weight. CICO is the formula for any"diet"(aka way of eating)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    The battle continues to rage but really folks what matters is can you live with the lifestyle indefinately. If you can then do Keto. Personally I have done various low carb diets over the years and was never able to get past about 6 months. That's me. But there are people who love the lifestyle. I have been doing low calorie for 2 years and lost over 100 pounds. This works for me. I can maintain it. If you think you will just do Keto until you get thin then go back to "normal" eating you are less likely to be successful because you won't have learned anything. That's the difference. If you are learning a new way of eating that you plan to maintain then you are much more likely to be successful. If you're looking for some magic way to lose faster you're wasting your time. Losing weight and Keeping it off is about changing what you've been doing permanently.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

keto is still CICO. you still have to be in a deficit of calories with keto or you wont lose weight. CICO is the formula for any"diet"(aka way of eating)[/quote]

This why it annoys me when someone choose to do the keto diet by default, many want to do it because they ignore that fact. Keto is like any other diet, it has it's pro's and cons, but in the end, for someone to chose keto as a diet is because they have to love it and understand that it's all about CICO in the end and not feel forced to do keto because they believe it's a fail proof safe to losing weight. Layne Norton made a video mocking people who ignore that fact and were stuffing their face with all fatty foods, it was a funny video, but his message was the foods with fats have calories too and the body takes it into account .
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »

keto is still CICO. you still have to be in a deficit of calories with keto or you wont lose weight. CICO is the formula for any"diet"(aka way of eating)

This why it annoys me when someone choose to do the keto diet by default, many want to do it because they ignore that fact. Keto is like any other diet, it has it's pro's and cons, but in the end, for someone to chose keto as a diet is because they have to love it and understand that it's all about CICO in the end and not feel forced to do keto because they believe it's a fail proof safe to losing weight. Layne Norton made a video mocking people who ignore that fact and were stuffing their face with all fatty foods, it was a funny video, but his message was the foods with fats have calories too and the body takes it into account .[/quote]

exactly if it works for someone great more power to them. but I hate when they think they can eat as much as they want and burn body fat like they are a coal furnace filled to the brim with coal. it doesnt work that way. I had one woman the other day say that I was wrong saying keto is not a special fat burning diet. she said she ate 1500 and on keto can eat 1800 calories.

I told her she was still in a deficit which is why she was losing weight. come to find out when I did the math, she was losing almost 5 lbs per week and when she was done she was burning way more calories than she was taking in,dangerously so,she had a VERY big deficit to where she was netting negative numbers in calories. I showed her the math and told her she could do the same thing eating any kind of way, but that it wasnt healthy doing it that way.she never said another word after that.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

OP do go to the low CarberDaily or keto MFP groups for more information or support. You'll get more information there that you can use to decide if keto is right for you.
    I'm thinking of starting a keto diet in the next week or so. Any others on this thing have and success or tips? What do your shopping lists look like, and do you have a meal plan?

Many are doing it. We just do not post often on the main forums (to avoid misinformation or hearing again that keto is not magic). I have been doing mostly keto for most of the last three years. It has helped me improve some health issues and made weight loss and control easier for me.

My shopping lists have mainly veggies, meats, nuts, coconut (oil and shredded), olives, full fat dairy (cheese, whipping cream, sour cream, cream cheese, etc), seafood, and some treats like xylitol choc chips to have with nuts. my family is not keto so for them I buy coconut flour, noodles, rice, potatoes and fruits.

We all eat similar meals but mine are lower in carbs. If we have pizza, I make a fathead pizza. If we have meat and veggies, I skip the potato. Instead of a sandwich I will eat cheese and pepperoni. My kids put stir fry on rice while I skip the rice. I just skip sugar, refined carbs with flour, and limit my fruit and root vegetables. Otherwise, I eat much like most people with a healthy diet do.

Good luck.

And do not forget to increase sodium to about 2 tsp of salt a day to avoid symptoms of electrolyte imbalance (headache, fatigue, brain fog, etc).
  • iiovelife
    iiovelife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am on keto, I have pcos and it is the first diet to work for me.

I do not meal plan every meal, I am too indecisive for that lol...

The things I always buy: lunch meat, sliced cheeses - not American go with hard cheeses like cheddar swiss or provolone
    Spinach raw...I use this in place of lettuce in everything it has more nutrient content
    Chicken broth the full salt kind you will need to drink a glass a day the first week to combat headaches
    A good water bottle to carry with you you will need to drink a lot
    Multi vitamin not gummy it has sugar make sure it has magnesium
    Fresh meat...the cheap cuts are fine since it is high fat diet
    Block of cheeses pick your favorite these make great snacks and you will need a shredder to shred it since preshredded had corn starch added
    Parmesan cheese the tub is fine, use it for bread crumbs mixed with almond flour
    Zucchini can be make so many ways in big chunks can be filling in place of potatoes
    Green beans and broccoli great with butter or cheddar
    Butter not margarine